Using A Router To Block IP Address

JCO

      10th Jul 2003
I have a Linksys router running with my DSL. I would like to block certain
IP address from coming in and going out. I can't figure out a way to do
this. I have one program, in particular, that I run often. This program,
unfortunately, access the internet and brings "Sales Ads" to me which I
don't want. If I can block it from doing this, the program will run just
fine.

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

      10th Jul 2003
Is your router also a firewall? If so, block all inbound access to your
computer/network from the Internet....it's rarely necessary. If it isn't a
firewall, but just a NAT device, I'd consider replacing it with a more
robust model that does stateful inspection & packet filtering....Linksys
makes some. Or get personal firewall software such as www.sygate.com

Re ads: if you're talking about "messenger spam" from the windows Messenger
service, the firewall will stop it if configured properly. If you mean popup
ads in IE, look at a popup blocker such as that at www.panicware.com or
www.fadsoft.com

Also can't hurt to run AdAware or Spybot (I prefer AdAware myself) -
www.lavasoftusa.com

JCO wrote:
> I have a Linksys router running with my DSL. I would like to block
> certain IP address from coming in and going out. I can't figure out
> a way to do this. I have one program, in particular, that I run
> often. This program, unfortunately, access the internet and brings
> "Sales Ads" to me which I don't want. If I can block it from doing
> this, the program will run just fine.

Paul M. Cookę«

      10th Jul 2003

"Steven L Umbach" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:lIePa.14707$(E-Mail Removed)...
> That level of control is probably not possible with the Linksys

which
> is a real basic device [at least my older one is]. Refer to the user

manual
> for your model and look for filtering or firewall rules. Linksys has their
> manuals online. Something that will work is one of the free [for personal
> use] personal firewalls that can very effectively control this kind of
> traffic by direction, ip address, port, protocol, and even application. I
> use Kerio on my computer and the Linksys at the cable modem, but Kerio is

> bit difficult for beginners. --- Steve

Depending on the budget, I'd suggest the Watchguard Soho 6. I've installed
perhaps a half dozen lately and for the price you can't beat the ease of use
and the feature set included. No affiliation with Watchguard, just pleased
with a good product.

Paul

JCO

      11th Jul 2003
Thanks Paul

"Paul M. Cookę«" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6ZiPa.30362$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Steven L Umbach" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:lIePa.14707$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > That level of control is probably not possible with the Linksys

> which
> > is a real basic device [at least my older one is]. Refer to the user

> manual
> > for your model and look for filtering or firewall rules. Linksys has

their
> > manuals online. Something that will work is one of the free [for

personal
> > use] personal firewalls that can very effectively control this kind of
> > traffic by direction, ip address, port, protocol, and even application.

> > use Kerio on my computer and the Linksys at the cable modem, but Kerio

is
> > bit difficult for beginners. --- Steve

> Depending on the budget, I'd suggest the Watchguard Soho 6. I've

installed
> perhaps a half dozen lately and for the price you can't beat the ease of

use
> and the feature set included. No affiliation with Watchguard, just

pleased
> with a good product.
>
> Paul

JCO

      11th Jul 2003
I'm not sure how to tell the model number of this router.
A friend gave it to me. How can I find out the model and/or how old it is.

" JCO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:H9ePa.72681$n%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a Linksys router running with my DSL. I would like to block

certain
> IP address from coming in and going out. I can't figure out a way to do
> this. I have one program, in particular, that I run often. This program,
> unfortunately, access the internet and brings "Sales Ads" to me which I
> don't want. If I can block it from doing this, the program will run just
> fine.

Bob I

      11th Jul 2003
They are usually labeled on the outside. On the bottom and on the back
are most common locations. Altho sometimes they will place it on the front.

JCO wrote:

> I'm not sure how to tell the model number of this router.
> A friend gave it to me. How can I find out the model and/or how old it is.
>

> " JCO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:H9ePa.72681$n%(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I have a Linksys router running with my DSL. I would like to block
>>

> certain
>
>>IP address from coming in and going out. I can't figure out a way to do
>>this. I have one program, in particular, that I run often. This program,
>>unfortunately, access the internet and brings "Sales Ads" to me which I
>>don't want. If I can block it from doing this, the program will run just
>>fine.

JCO

      12th Jul 2003
The model number is BEFSR41.

"Bob I" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> They are usually labeled on the outside. On the bottom and on the back
> are most common locations. Altho sometimes they will place it on the

front.

> JCO wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure how to tell the model number of this router.
> > A friend gave it to me. How can I find out the model and/or how old it

is.

> > " JCO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:H9ePa.72681$n%(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> >>I have a Linksys router running with my DSL. I would like to block
> >>

> > certain
> >
> >>IP address from coming in and going out. I can't figure out a way to do
> >>this. I have one program, in particular, that I run often. This

program,
> >>unfortunately, access the internet and brings "Sales Ads" to me which I
> >>don't want. If I can block it from doing this, the program will run

just
> >>fine.

JCO

      12th Jul 2003
It says "Etherfast Cable / DSL Router
Model BEFSR41

I don't know if it is also a firewall although I was led to believe that all
router offer protection in that area. I can get into a setup area and
increase the protection by clicking on a section that ties the router to
Zone Alarm. One reason for using the router was to avoid a software that
slows the internet down.

Thanks!

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:er%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is your router also a firewall? If so, block all inbound access to your
> computer/network from the Internet....it's rarely necessary. If it isn't a
> firewall, but just a NAT device, I'd consider replacing it with a more
> robust model that does stateful inspection & packet filtering....Linksys
> makes some. Or get personal firewall software such as www.sygate.com
>
> Re ads: if you're talking about "messenger spam" from the windows

Messenger
> service, the firewall will stop it if configured properly. If you mean

popup
> ads in IE, look at a popup blocker such as that at www.panicware.com or
> www.fadsoft.com
>
> Also can't hurt to run AdAware or Spybot (I prefer AdAware myself) -
> www.lavasoftusa.com
>
> JCO wrote:
> > I have a Linksys router running with my DSL. I would like to block
> > certain IP address from coming in and going out. I can't figure out
> > a way to do this. I have one program, in particular, that I run
> > often. This program, unfortunately, access the internet and brings
> > "Sales Ads" to me which I don't want. If I can block it from doing
> > this, the program will run just fine.

James Williams

      12th Jul 2003
I'm pretty sure that's the router we used in my old apt. Try this:

1) Find out what ports the traffic is coming in on. If you can isolate
what port Gains is listening on, that would help you block the port.
www.foundstone.com has some forensics that may help here. You may want
to filter OUTBOUND traffic from your machine on the problem port. If
the spyware on your box can't contact the mothership, you won't get the ads.

2) I would firewall (Block WAN Requests). On your router, it's kind of
an all-or-nothing thing. Machines you contact would still be able to
communicate, but the ad servers wouldn't be able to get in. That kind
of depends on how the client-server relationship works for that spyware.

3) Install AdAware. And *seriously* consider whether or not you really
need Gator. There are a ton of programs out there that will remember
form input (IE6 will, I think. Mozilla 1.3 will). Gator is a known
vector for spyware. So if you're going to use it, be prepared for the
consequences. Hot-coal-walkers don't usually bitch about how hot their
feet are...

I won't lie--this is going to be a headache. I had one roommate who shut
the other three of us out by redirecting ports 1024-2048 back to his IP.
We couldn't get DNS resolution because our machines were assigning
their dynamic ports in that range (as all Win boxes will) and using that
as our end of the DNS query. So think good and hard about #3.

HTH!

(j)

**Notes for other people reading this thead:
The Linksys router is a PAT router with just an all-or-nothing firewall
capability. The best you can do is set up port redirections for inbound
connections (to dead IPs, if need be). That said, it's got enough to do
the job here (IMHO). But it'll take some TLC.