PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread

Using Partition Magic to increase Primary Partition

 
 
Dan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      7th Jan 2007
I have a windows 2000 server with four 18GB Hot swap drives, the system is
configured for RAID 5 with 1 Hot spare. My primary partion was partitioned
for 4GB and the rest for Data. Its been fine for about 6 years and now my
primary partition has only 1GB left. Has anyone successfully increased the
primary partion on a server with PM? If so can you give me details in how to
go about doing this? Or is there another solution without setting up a new
DC.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Gary Chanson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      7th Jan 2007

"Dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a windows 2000 server with four 18GB Hot swap drives, the system is
> configured for RAID 5 with 1 Hot spare. My primary partion was partitioned
> for 4GB and the rest for Data. Its been fine for about 6 years and now my
> primary partition has only 1GB left. Has anyone successfully increased the
> primary partion on a server with PM? If so can you give me details in how

to
> go about doing this? Or is there another solution without setting up a new
> DC.


The only problem with this is that the standard version of Partition
Magic does not support server operating systems. If you use the server
version of this or another program, you should be able to resize the
partition.

--

- Gary Chanson (Windows SDK MVP)
- Abolish Public Schools




 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Andrew Rossmann
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      8th Jan 2007
In article <#(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
>
> "Dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have a windows 2000 server with four 18GB Hot swap drives, the system is
> > configured for RAID 5 with 1 Hot spare. My primary partion was partitioned
> > for 4GB and the rest for Data. Its been fine for about 6 years and now my
> > primary partition has only 1GB left. Has anyone successfully increased the
> > primary partion on a server with PM? If so can you give me details in how

> to
> > go about doing this? Or is there another solution without setting up a new
> > DC.

>
> The only problem with this is that the standard version of Partition
> Magic does not support server operating systems. If you use the server
> version of this or another program, you should be able to resize the
> partition.


I think the bootable floppy or CD version might work unless they
actually check the Windows version on the drive.

--
If there is a no_junk in my address, please REMOVE it before replying!
All junk mail senders will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the
law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
 
Reply With Quote
 
Gary Chanson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      9th Jan 2007

"Andrew Rossmann" <andysnewsreply@no_junk.comcast.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <#(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
> >
> > "Dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I have a windows 2000 server with four 18GB Hot swap drives, the

system is
> > > configured for RAID 5 with 1 Hot spare. My primary partion was

partitioned
> > > for 4GB and the rest for Data. Its been fine for about 6 years and now

my
> > > primary partition has only 1GB left. Has anyone successfully increased

the
> > > primary partion on a server with PM? If so can you give me details in

how
> > to
> > > go about doing this? Or is there another solution without setting up a

new
> > > DC.

> >
> > The only problem with this is that the standard version of Partition
> > Magic does not support server operating systems. If you use the server
> > version of this or another program, you should be able to resize the
> > partition.

>
> I think the bootable floppy or CD version might work unless they
> actually check the Windows version on the drive.


They do check it. One way to fool the check is to have an active
bootable partition with Win2KPro installed on it in addition to the
Win2KServer partition, but this is hard to arrange after the fact.

--

- Gary Chanson (Windows SDK MVP)
- Abolish Public Schools




 
Reply With Quote
 
James
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10th Jan 2007
Gary Chanson wrote:
> "Andrew Rossmann" <andysnewsreply@no_junk.comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In article <#(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>>> "Dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>> I have a windows 2000 server with four 18GB Hot swap drives, the

> system is
>>>> configured for RAID 5 with 1 Hot spare. My primary partion was

> partitioned
>>>> for 4GB and the rest for Data. Its been fine for about 6 years and now

> my
>>>> primary partition has only 1GB left. Has anyone successfully increased

> the
>>>> primary partion on a server with PM? If so can you give me details in

> how
>>> to
>>>> go about doing this? Or is there another solution without setting up a

> new
>>>> DC.
>>> The only problem with this is that the standard version of Partition
>>> Magic does not support server operating systems. If you use the server
>>> version of this or another program, you should be able to resize the
>>> partition.

>> I think the bootable floppy or CD version might work unless they
>> actually check the Windows version on the drive.

>
> They do check it. One way to fool the check is to have an active
> bootable partition with Win2KPro installed on it in addition to the
> Win2KServer partition, but this is hard to arrange after the fact.
>
> --
>
> - Gary Chanson (Windows SDK MVP)
> - Abolish Public Schools
>
>
>
>

Not that it is much help at this time but this problem is exactly why I
have a small drive with the OS and my raid is for data & apps only.
With the small drive imaged to the raid and a Drive Image recovery disk
made after all the raid system has been setup I have been able to
restore the boot drive image, in tests, to the boot drive in the event
of a failure of that drive. If the drive were to faile for real, or
become to small due to the growth of WM$ over its life cycle it can be
replaced with a minimum of lost hair. I also have the image on DVD's,
only 1 is needed but they fail also, in case Drive Image decides it no
longer wants to see the raid copy when needed.

James
 
Reply With Quote
 
arno
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11th Jan 2007
> They do check it.

Version 5 of Partition Magic does NOT check the OS! It worked for me,
Win2k Server.

arno

 
Reply With Quote
 
Gary Chanson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11th Jan 2007

"arno" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > They do check it.

>
> Version 5 of Partition Magic does NOT check the OS! It worked for me,
> Win2k Server.


Good to know. V5 might be too old to handle larger drives and it won't
handle newer NTFS versions (XP and later), but if you don't run into
problems like that, you're in good shape.

--

- Gary Chanson (Windows SDK MVP)
- Abolish Public Schools




 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Using Partition Magic to increase Primary Partition Dan Microsoft Windows 2000 6 11th Jan 2007 08:35 PM
Using Partition Magic to increase Primary Partition Dan Microsoft Windows 2000 Upgrade 6 11th Jan 2007 08:35 PM
Using Partition Magic to increase Primary Partition Dan Microsoft Windows 2000 Hardware 6 11th Jan 2007 08:35 PM
Partition Magic 8.. cant resize (larger) Primary partition Sooty Computer Hardware 33 17th Jun 2005 12:49 PM
Uninstalling Partition Magic/Boot Magic Jack Storlie Windows XP General 4 21st Dec 2003 03:15 AM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:02 AM.