Using MS Access 2007 to gather survey data via e-mail messages

=?Utf-8?B?d2lsbH4=?=

      6th Aug 2007
I am attempting to create a survey using the "Collect data by using e-mail
messages" feature in MS Access 2007.

There is only 1 table named 'SurveyAug07', in the format of
[FieldNameataType:AdditionalNotes], the fields are [ID:Number:unique],
[Q1:Text:N/A], [Q2a:Yes/No:N/A], [Q2b:Yes/No:N/A], [Q2c: Yes/No:N/A],
[Q4:Number:Lookup Column by manual typed options]

Following the Microsoft walkthrough
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...154271033.aspx, I have created
a form to send out using Outlook 2007. However, I have encountered some
issues. I am not sure if these are designed by nature, or some additional
steps are required. Please could you assist?

1. I have selected 'HTML form' -> 'Collect new information only', 'specify
all the data fields (apart from ID) in the email message form' and 'ticked
automatically process replies and data...' When I received the survey form I
found all fields are
in the form of text boxes.

I was expecting some dropdown list, checkbox list, or radiobuttons
displaying the options in the 'lookup columns' typed in the database but it
only shows a message "
Type the number corresponding to the value you want. Click this link or
scroll down to see your choices." How could I change this so it the user
would see a dropdown list/checkbox list instead of a text box?

2. As above, for Q2a, Q2b, and Q3c, it asks the user to manually type in
'Yes' or 'No' in the text box. instead of showing a radio button or check
box. Can this be changed? This would makes data collection more efficient
and force the user in providing meaningful data.

3. Is it possible to add validation checks to the email form created using
the "Collect data through e-mail messages Wizard"? For instance, in Q2b,
when I try to type 'Yess' it causes an updated failure once the survey is
received.

Many thanks for your time in dealing with my issues and enquiry. If you
have any sample database (surveys) please let me know.

=?Utf-8?B?TWF1cmljZQ==?=

      6th Aug 2007
Hi Will,

If you've chosen the HTML-option you will get only text options. There isn't
any kind of control added. This is done so it can be used independent of any
software. This means that all returned data is also returned as when send
out. If you do want all the fancy stuff and validation I'd recommend using
InfoPath as a source. That's the application where you can build your form
using validation and controls. Only disadvantage is that the receiving needs
to have InfoPath available.

So you see the usage can be a two way option: either Html without all the
fancy stuff of using the InfoPath option with all the fancy stuff.

I can surely recommend taking a look at how to use InfoPath for this matter.
See link below for some demo's on this.

hth
--
Maurice Ausum

"will~" wrote:

> I am attempting to create a survey using the "Collect data by using e-mail
> messages" feature in MS Access 2007.
>
> There is only 1 table named 'SurveyAug07', in the format of
> [FieldNameataType:AdditionalNotes], the fields are [ID:Number:unique],
> [Q1:Text:N/A], [Q2a:Yes/No:N/A], [Q2b:Yes/No:N/A], [Q2c: Yes/No:N/A],
> [Q4:Number:Lookup Column by manual typed options]
>
> Following the Microsoft walkthrough
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...154271033.aspx, I have created
> a form to send out using Outlook 2007. However, I have encountered some
> issues. I am not sure if these are designed by nature, or some additional
> steps are required. Please could you assist?
>
> 1. I have selected 'HTML form' -> 'Collect new information only', 'specify
> all the data fields (apart from ID) in the email message form' and 'ticked
> automatically process replies and data...' When I received the survey form I
> found all fields are
> in the form of text boxes.
>
> I was expecting some dropdown list, checkbox list, or radiobuttons
> displaying the options in the 'lookup columns' typed in the database but it
> only shows a message "
> Type the number corresponding to the value you want. Click this link or
> scroll down to see your choices." How could I change this so it the user
> would see a dropdown list/checkbox list instead of a text box?
>
> 2. As above, for Q2a, Q2b, and Q3c, it asks the user to manually type in
> 'Yes' or 'No' in the text box. instead of showing a radio button or check
> box. Can this be changed? This would makes data collection more efficient
> and force the user in providing meaningful data.
>
> 3. Is it possible to add validation checks to the email form created using
> the "Collect data through e-mail messages Wizard"? For instance, in Q2b,
> when I try to type 'Yess' it causes an updated failure once the survey is
> received.
>
> Many thanks for your time in dealing with my issues and enquiry. If you
> have any sample database (surveys) please let me know.

=?Utf-8?B?d2lsbH4=?=

      7th Aug 2007
Maurice,

Thanks for your quick reply. I guess I could not use the InfoPath option as
the marjority of the survey participants would not have InfoPath on their
machines.

I have problem in finding the links for the demo databases.

kind Regards,

will