Using Group Policy to add the Outlook Address Book directory servi

=?Utf-8?B?RWx0b24=?=

      16th Sep 2005
Does anyone know how I can use group policy so that users can look up their
own personal contacts in the address book.

I am using exchange 2003 with outlook 2003 SP1

Group policy is deployed and restricts the users ability to add or edit the
"Tools - Email Accounts" option, with good reason so they cannot add thier
own pop3 accounts etc.

Your Help would be appreciated

Regards

Elton

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

      16th Sep 2005
Have you tried creating and distributing a .prf file that adds the Outlook Address Book? (I'm not sure how the email account restriction policy affects .prf file processing -- if you try it, let us know.) Was the OAB missing from your original deployment?

Also note that there are separate group policy settings for restricting the user from adding different types of mail accounts. If you use these, then they can still manage their own address book settings.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

"Elton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone know how I can use group policy so that users can look up their
> own personal contacts in the address book.
>
> I am using exchange 2003 with outlook 2003 SP1
>
> Group policy is deployed and restricts the users ability to add or edit the
> "Tools - Email Accounts" option, with good reason so they cannot add thier
> own pop3 accounts etc.
>
> Your Help would be appreciated
>
> Regards
>
> Elton

=?Utf-8?B?RWx0b24=?=

      16th Sep 2005
Thanks Sue,

I decided not to try the prf option - however it could be a good idea for
the future.

Instead I modified the group policy by disabling the following;
User Configuration
Administrative templates
Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 (outlk.adm)
Miscellaneous
Prevent Users Making changes to profiles

And leaving the other policy enabled;
User Configuration
Administrative templates
Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 (outlk.adm)
Miscellaneous
Prevent Users from adding email account types

Thanks for the tip.