Using a Digital Camera with Win2000 (xfer photos?)

+Bob+

      2nd Jul 2009

A friend of mine has a Kodak digital camera. He'd like to move the
photos from his camera to his hard drive. System is an older desktop
with win2k.

It has Easy-share software that comes with it to transfer photos to
the hard drive of a PC. Unfortunately the software only runs on XP or
higher and Kodak has no older versions available. Of course, if this
was XP, I could just access the camera memory chip as a hard drive and
I would not even need the software.

Is there any way to get win2K to act more like xp in this regard and
recognize the chip as a drive? Some optional software/driver or hack
someone has devised? I'd like to avoid having to upgrade the guy, he's
very old, fixed income, he doesn't need to be spending money on XP or
on a hardware card reader.

Thanks for any ideas,

Dave Patrick

      2nd Jul 2009

Take a look in Disk Management. If the camera flash emulates a drive it
should work. It may be trying to acquire a drive letter already in use in
which case you can reassign it to make it appear in Windows Explorer.

--

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"+Bob+" wrote:
>A friend of mine has a Kodak digital camera. He'd like to move the
> photos from his camera to his hard drive. System is an older desktop
> with win2k.
>
> It has Easy-share software that comes with it to transfer photos to
> the hard drive of a PC. Unfortunately the software only runs on XP or
> higher and Kodak has no older versions available. Of course, if this
> was XP, I could just access the camera memory chip as a hard drive and
> I would not even need the software.
>
> Is there any way to get win2K to act more like xp in this regard and
> recognize the chip as a drive? Some optional software/driver or hack
> someone has devised? I'd like to avoid having to upgrade the guy, he's
> very old, fixed income, he doesn't need to be spending money on XP or
> on a hardware card reader.
>
> Thanks for any ideas,

Roger Fink

      2nd Jul 2009

It sounds like you should be able to do this in Picasa, according to this
section in their online help file:
http://picasa.google.com/support/bin...n&answer=16211
I believe the version I have is the last compatible version for Windows
2000: 2.7, Build 37.63. It can be downloaded from here:
http://www.filehippo.com/download_picasa/

+Bob+ wrote:
> A friend of mine has a Kodak digital camera. He'd like to move the
> photos from his camera to his hard drive. System is an older desktop
> with win2k.
>
> It has Easy-share software that comes with it to transfer photos to
> the hard drive of a PC. Unfortunately the software only runs on XP or
> higher and Kodak has no older versions available. Of course, if this
> was XP, I could just access the camera memory chip as a hard drive and
> I would not even need the software.
>
> Is there any way to get win2K to act more like xp in this regard and
> recognize the chip as a drive? Some optional software/driver or hack
> someone has devised? I'd like to avoid having to upgrade the guy, he's
> very old, fixed income, he doesn't need to be spending money on XP or
> on a hardware card reader.
>
> Thanks for any ideas,

JM

      21st Aug 2009