Using data from an extracted table

hj

      27th Jul 2004
Hi Kate,
Sounds suspiciously like the use of a function without
a leading = sign.
One other good possibility is name spelling. If there
are spaces in the field name you must reference the field
name using square brackets - Access doesn't handle free
spaces well - it gets confused and wants to invoke a
function instead of recognizing the complete field name
for what it is.

Suggest you also review Help for the #Name? error to make
sure you haven't run afoul of any other possiblities
either.

Hope this helps. If not, supply the textbox syntax and
we'll try again.

one. I'm breaking one large table into about 3 or 4
smaller ones. No matter which way I try populating the
data into the smaller tables..ie...importing/exporting or
just copying and pasting...I cannot get the data to
populate in a textbox when I create the form. I've
checked and double checked the ControlSource and the all
field names match up. I even tried using the expression
builder to populate them. The end result is ALWAYS the
#Name? error in the textbox. Is there something else that
I'm missing or doing wrong? The tables populate just fine
but its the textboxes that I can't get. Any info would be
helpful at this point
>.

hj

      27th Jul 2004
Hi back, Kate -
I think Access is trying to stick a function in the
process because of the = sign, and of course the function
doesn't exist, hence the #name? error. Since you are
simply supplying a field value and not an expression, try
leaving the = sign out of the control source entry. If
the expression builder sticks it in, just backspace over
it.
You've got my attention now - I'm stickin' with it 'til
its fixed!

hj, leaving at 4:30 CDT. I'll be back tomorrow at 8.

expression builder
>=[CityOrCounty] <-----------this I typed in the

ControlSource Manually
>I get #Name? in both txtboxes.
>This is also the millionth time (or so it seems) that

I've recreated the issue...this is not the actual DB or
field names I'm working with...I figure it's something I'm
doing (or not doing) in each situation that cause this to
happen each time.
>"hj" wrote:
>
>> Hi Kate,
>> Sounds suspiciously like the use of a function

without
>> a leading = sign.
>> One other good possibility is name spelling. If

there
>> are spaces in the field name you must reference the

field
>> name using square brackets - Access doesn't handle free
>> spaces well - it gets confused and wants to invoke a
>> function instead of recognizing the complete field name
>> for what it is.
>>
>> Suggest you also review Help for the #Name? error to

make
>> sure you haven't run afoul of any other possiblities
>> either.
>>
>> Hope this helps. If not, supply the textbox syntax and
>> we'll try again.

hj

      28th Jul 2004
Kate,
It looks like you've posted this question in another
group and are getting response from Van. I think he an I
agree that there is a syntax problem, so you need to look
at every character for the problem. My last suggestion of
trying to leave the = sign out in the Control Source
should be given a try.
If you've solved the problem, I'd appreciate a post
back - I kind of feel responsible for a good outcome since
I answered your intial call for help. If I'm not helping,
just say so, and I'll let better folks try to solve the
mystery. I'll hang on for another day or so before I let
it go.

Best wishes. hj