PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread

using computer management console

 
 
=?Utf-8?B?QXNoaXNo?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      23rd Apr 2007
hi all
this is my first post to the group, hoping to find a solution to the problem.

I am using Windows XP Home Edition version 2002 SP2 on my laptop and i have
created 2 accounts one as an administrator for myself and one for my friend
which is a limited account.
Now i want that for this limited account my friend should not be able to
change the password.For achieving this i tried to use the MMC in this case
the computer management console. But the problem i am facing is that i am not
getting the Local Users and Groups section under system tools section in the
console.

Can anybody enlighten me why is this happening and does it have to be
installed or something to be used in the console.

Regards
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Malke
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      23rd Apr 2007
Ashish wrote:
> hi all
> this is my first post to the group, hoping to find a solution to the problem.
>
> I am using Windows XP Home Edition version 2002 SP2 on my laptop and i have
> created 2 accounts one as an administrator for myself and one for my friend
> which is a limited account.
> Now i want that for this limited account my friend should not be able to
> change the password.For achieving this i tried to use the MMC in this case
> the computer management console. But the problem i am facing is that i am not
> getting the Local Users and Groups section under system tools section in the
> console.
>
> Can anybody enlighten me why is this happening and does it have to be
> installed or something to be used in the console.


You're not able to find those advanced user configuration tools because
you have XP Home Edition. In XP Home, you don't have the fine-grained
ability to set permissions and restrictions that you do in XP Pro.
Instead, you can use MVP Doug Knox's Security Console or the MS Shared
Computer Toolkit.

http://www.dougknox.com
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/s...s/default.mspx
microsoft.public.windows.sharedaccess - Toolkit newsgroup


Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Nepatsfan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      23rd Apr 2007
In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Ashish <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> hi all
> this is my first post to the group, hoping to find a solution
> to the
> problem.
>
> I am using Windows XP Home Edition version 2002 SP2 on my
> laptop and
> i have created 2 accounts one as an administrator for myself
> and one
> for my friend which is a limited account.
> Now i want that for this limited account my friend should not
> be able
> to change the password.For achieving this i tried to use the
> MMC in
> this case the computer management console. But the problem i
> am
> facing is that i am not getting the Local Users and Groups
> section
> under system tools section in the console.
>
> Can anybody enlighten me why is this happening and does it
> have to be
> installed or something to be used in the console.
>
> Regards


Keep in mind that as an administrator, you can go into the User
Account applet in Control Panel and change his password at any
time. Since there's no danger of losing access to encrypted
files in XP Home, this is a much safer procedure than it is in
XP Pro.

If you want to prevent your friend from changing the password,
try the following.
Open a command prompt window (Start -> Run -> enter cmd.exe in
the Open box).
At the command prompt enter the following command where you
substitute the name of your friends account for ACCTNAME.

net user ACCTNAME /passwordchg:no

For more info, take a look at this article.

How to Use the Net User Command
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/251394

Good luck

Nepatsfan



 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?QXNoaXNo?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      23rd Apr 2007
Thanks for the response Malke. I think that was a bit too much to ask from
home edition of XP.Anyways now u have put up some options there let me try
them and if its not solved i will post you guys back.

Thanks once again

Ashish



"Malke" wrote:

> Ashish wrote:
> > hi all
> > this is my first post to the group, hoping to find a solution to the problem.
> >
> > I am using Windows XP Home Edition version 2002 SP2 on my laptop and i have
> > created 2 accounts one as an administrator for myself and one for my friend
> > which is a limited account.
> > Now i want that for this limited account my friend should not be able to
> > change the password.For achieving this i tried to use the MMC in this case
> > the computer management console. But the problem i am facing is that i am not
> > getting the Local Users and Groups section under system tools section in the
> > console.
> >
> > Can anybody enlighten me why is this happening and does it have to be
> > installed or something to be used in the console.

>
> You're not able to find those advanced user configuration tools because
> you have XP Home Edition. In XP Home, you don't have the fine-grained
> ability to set permissions and restrictions that you do in XP Pro.
> Instead, you can use MVP Doug Knox's Security Console or the MS Shared
> Computer Toolkit.
>
> http://www.dougknox.com
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/s...s/default.mspx
> microsoft.public.windows.sharedaccess - Toolkit newsgroup
>
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?QXNoaXNo?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      23rd Apr 2007
Thanks for the reply mate. I was just trying the tools suggested in the
previous response and now that you have given me option of not installing
anything and rather using command prompt to solve this issue i will try that
first.

Thanks once again

Ashish

"Nepatsfan" wrote:

> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
> Ashish <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > hi all
> > this is my first post to the group, hoping to find a solution
> > to the
> > problem.
> >
> > I am using Windows XP Home Edition version 2002 SP2 on my
> > laptop and
> > i have created 2 accounts one as an administrator for myself
> > and one
> > for my friend which is a limited account.
> > Now i want that for this limited account my friend should not
> > be able
> > to change the password.For achieving this i tried to use the
> > MMC in
> > this case the computer management console. But the problem i
> > am
> > facing is that i am not getting the Local Users and Groups
> > section
> > under system tools section in the console.
> >
> > Can anybody enlighten me why is this happening and does it
> > have to be
> > installed or something to be used in the console.
> >
> > Regards

>
> Keep in mind that as an administrator, you can go into the User
> Account applet in Control Panel and change his password at any
> time. Since there's no danger of losing access to encrypted
> files in XP Home, this is a much safer procedure than it is in
> XP Pro.
>
> If you want to prevent your friend from changing the password,
> try the following.
> Open a command prompt window (Start -> Run -> enter cmd.exe in
> the Open box).
> At the command prompt enter the following command where you
> substitute the name of your friends account for ACCTNAME.
>
> net user ACCTNAME /passwordchg:no
>
> For more info, take a look at this article.
>
> How to Use the Net User Command
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/251394
>
> Good luck
>
> Nepatsfan
>
>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
In Computer management console disk management is not showing =?Utf-8?B?dGY3Ng==?= Windows XP Performance 0 21st Feb 2007 05:00 PM
Local Disk Management Console Generates Remote Disk Management Err =?Utf-8?B?VW5jbGUgTGFyJyc=?= Windows XP Help 1 5th Jan 2006 07:49 PM
unable to restart services to a remote computer using computer management console Karthik Microsoft Windows 2000 0 26th Aug 2004 04:23 PM
unable to restart services to a remote computer using computer management console Karthik Microsoft Windows 2000 0 26th Aug 2004 04:22 PM
er ror: Close the Disk Management console, then restart Disk Management micheal Windows XP Hardware 1 7th Nov 2003 06:13 AM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:42 PM.