Using computer IR port for TV remote control

Marten Kemp

      28th Apr 2005
I there any freeware that can use a computer's IR
port, most likely on a laptop, to replace the remote
control for a TV, VCR, or other equipment?

Or possibly pointers to the information I'd need
to write something like this myself.

What I'd really like is a universal remote with
a better user interface.

--
-- Marten Kemp

Fran

      29th Apr 2005
You could probably set Girder to do it, but you should search the net for
the last freeware version. If you find it, could you send me a link as well?

"Marten Kemp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:TCdce.926$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I there any freeware that can use a computer's IR
> port, most likely on a laptop, to replace the remote
> control for a TV, VCR, or other equipment?
>
> Or possibly pointers to the information I'd need
> to write something like this myself.
>
> What I'd really like is a universal remote with
> a better user interface.
>
> --
> -- Marten Kemp

Marten Kemp

      29th Apr 2005
Fran wrote:
> You could probably set Girder to do it, but you should search the net for
> the last freeware version. If you find it, could you send me a link as well?
>

> "Marten Kemp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:TCdce.926$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I there any freeware that can use a computer's IR
>>port, most likely on a laptop, to replace the remote
>>control for a TV, VCR, or other equipment?
>>
>>Or possibly pointers to the information I'd need
>>to write something like this myself.
>>
>>What I'd really like is a universal remote with
>>a better user interface.

I did find this:
http://www.lirc.org/

What is LIRC ?

LIRC is a package that allows you to decode and send infra-red signals
of many (but not all) commonly used remote controls.

--
-- Marten Kemp
(Fix name and ISP to reply)