"users & passwords" allows you to create user with no passwords?

=?Utf-8?B?aG90YWlyZ3V5?=

      15th Dec 2005
In a workgroup env, you can set the local policy of a XP pro or windows 2000
machine to require 8 character complex passwords. If you go to control
panel/users & passwords, it will allow you to create a user with no password
at all. What am I missing here? I can remove the applet so no one can do this
but I can't imagine this is a default behaviour. What I am missing?

Doug Knox MS-MVP

      15th Dec 2005
The user may not be allowed to log on, or they may be prompted to change their password when they first attempt to logon. The Users applet doesn't even offer a chance to set a password, that's done as a later "change".

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"hotairguy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In a workgroup env, you can set the local policy of a XP pro or windows 2000
> machine to require 8 character complex passwords. If you go to control
> panel/users & passwords, it will allow you to create a user with no password
> at all. What am I missing here? I can remove the applet so no one can do this
> but I can't imagine this is a default behaviour. What I am missing?

Steven L Umbach

      20th Dec 2005
As Doug said they will be forced to change their password at logon and then
they will have to select a password that complies with password policy. By
default in XP Pro you can not use a blank password to access a computer
share so that risk does not exist when the user account is created with no
password. -- Steve