userid/password

Just Plain Rick

      18th Jun 2008
Vista Home Premium sp1, Kaspersky Internet Security

This is the second time this has happened. Every time I start windows mail
it asks for my userid/password. Yes I have the remember password box
checked. When I look at my account there is no password displayed. I type
in the password click 'apply' and close the window. No good. It still asks
each time I start Mail and each time I check the Account setting the
password is empty. I have read other msgs about this referring to Caps and
numerics. This isn't the problem. Mail will no longer remember my
password. I have tried turning off all virus/security settings regarding
Mail.

I hate to bash on Microsoft but I think Userid/Password maintenance should
be pretty basic.

Anyone's useful comments/resolutions would be welcome.

Gary VanderMolen

      18th Jun 2008
I assure you this is not a Microsoft issue, since millions of us
don't have this password problem.

One possibility is that your antivirus corrupted the account.
Delete that account, restart Windows Mail, then recreate the
account.

If no improvement, do a trial uninstall of Kaspersky. Disabling
the email integration in the antivirus is seldom sufficient.
You may have to repeat the account delete/recreate step.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP

"Just Plain Rick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Vista Home Premium sp1, Kaspersky Internet Security
>
> This is the second time this has happened. Every time I start windows mail
> it asks for my userid/password. Yes I have the remember password box
> checked. When I look at my account there is no password displayed. I type
> in the password click 'apply' and close the window. No good. It still asks
> each time I start Mail and each time I check the Account setting the
> password is empty. I have read other msgs about this referring to Caps and
> numerics. This isn't the problem. Mail will no longer remember my
> password. I have tried turning off all virus/security settings regarding
> Mail.
>
> I hate to bash on Microsoft but I think Userid/Password maintenance should
> be pretty basic.
>
> Anyone's useful comments/resolutions would be welcome.

      18th Jun 2008

"Just Plain Rick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Vista Home Premium sp1, Kaspersky Internet Security
>
> This is the second time this has happened. Every time I start windows
> mail it asks for my userid/password. Yes I have the remember password box
> checked. When I look at my account there is no password displayed. I
> type in the password click 'apply' and close the window. No good. It
> still asks each time I start Mail and each time I check the Account
> setting the password is empty. I have read other msgs about this
> referring to Caps and numerics. This isn't the problem. Mail will no
> longer remember my password. I have tried turning off all virus/security
> settings regarding Mail.
>
> I hate to bash on Microsoft but I think Userid/Password maintenance should
> be pretty basic.
>
> Anyone's useful comments/resolutions would be welcome.

Are you leaving the checkmark before Remember password alone when
you enter the password?

Just Plain Rick

      19th Jun 2008
I tried every combination of things I could think of except remove Kasperky.
I have removed the account and set it back up. I have turned off everything
that had to do with e-mail.

I remembered something from the first time this happened about the delete
key.

Someone had sent a reply about using the delete key to delete the password
and then re-entering it. With the cursor in the Password box I hit the
delete key a bunch of times and then the backspace key a bunch of times then
entered the password. I now works fine.

thanks for the responses. Also when I remove the checkmark in the remember
box the password area turns into a labelbox and nothing can be entered. I
have to have the remember box checked to be able to enter a password.