USB mass storage: memory stick not recognized

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQ=?=

      12th Sep 2004
Hi,
Posted yesterday, but I still have no solution. I appreciate any help or
ideas. See below for problem description.

Hi,
I have a SiS 7001 PCI-to-USB Controller which works fine with my DigCam but
doesn't recognize the USB memory stick. The memory stick is okay, I tried it
at another Computer.
I have tried all of the things described in
http://www.usbman.com/Guides/SiS%20U...d%20Tricks.htm but it
didn't help.
I found out that the file "usbstor.sys" is missing in
C:/Windows/System32/Drivers and downloaded it from the Internet to that
place, but it didn't help. I also changed the drivers for USB to "Standard
OpenHCD USB-Hostcontroller". Now I am out of ideas and I try this newsgroup
as I think the problem is on Microsofts side.

OS: WinXP (with ServicePack2)
USB Memory Stick: GoChip(TM) USB2.0 Flash Drive Controller

I appreciate any help and comments. You can also contact me directly via MSN
Messenger ((E-Mail Removed)) or ICQ (145840208).

Thanks a lot!
David

Olabisi Awoyele
9/11/2004 12:10 PM PST
could be a service pack 2 issue, take this up with Microsoft would be my
advise

David
9/11/2004 12:18 PM PST
it didn't work before either, that's why I installed SP2... :-(

rvscan

      12th Sep 2004

20Tricks.htm but it
>didn't help.
>I found out that the file "usbstor.sys" is missing in
>C:/Windows/System32/Drivers and downloaded it from the

Internet to that
>place, but it didn't help. I also changed the drivers

for USB to "Standard
>OpenHCD USB-Hostcontroller". Now I am out of ideas and I

try this newsgroup
>as I think the problem is on Microsofts side.
>
>OS: WinXP (with ServicePack2)
>USB Memory Stick: GoChip(TM) USB2.0 Flash Drive

Controller

>I appreciate any help and comments. You can also contact

me directly via MSN
>Messenger ((E-Mail Removed)) or ICQ (145840208).
>
>Thanks a lot!
>David
>

>Olabisi Awoyele
> 9/11/2004 12:10 PM PST
>could be a service pack 2 issue, take this up with

Microsoft would be my
>advise
>

>David
> 9/11/2004 12:18 PM PST
>it didn't work before either, that's why I installed

SP2... :-(

>.
>I have seen instances where usb storage devices didn't

show up in XP. So far each time that I have seen this it
seems to be that for some reason Windows XP will
sometimes give the removable storage device the same
drive letter as another device (i.e. CD rom drive or even
a mapped network drive). When this occurs I have been
able to go into the control panel, then into
administrative tools, then computer management. Then
under storage click on disk management. You should then
be able to see the device and change the drive letter
assignment for the device. Just make sure that you look
at my computer or explorer first to see what drive
letters are being used. I usually set this to two or
three letters higher than the highest letter being used.
It may give you a warning notice that changing the letter
might prevent some things that are seeing it now not to
see it. Since you aren't seeing under my computer or
explorer anyway click on OK or Yes to change the letter.
Hope that this helps you.

=?Utf-8?B?ZnRhNzc3?=

      10th Oct 2004
Hi:

Have you checked your usbstor.inf file, maybe you don't have this file
in C:\Windows\INF (this is a hidden folder). If you don't have this file
Windows will not recognize the device. You can get the file of the
instalation disk of windows XP, it is in the folder I386 with the name
Usbstor.in_, you will need to decompress this file, to decompress it you
first copy the file to c: then you run this command
restore -r c:\usbstor.in_
After this you will have the file usbstor.inf in c:\, now copy it to the
folder c:\Windows\INF
You also have to check your usbstor.sys file, this file is located in
c:\windows\system32\drivers if you don't have it, it is located in the
windows installation disk in the folder i386, but it is inside the archive
DRIVER.CAB, you just need to decompress Usbstor.sys from this archive (you
can do this with winzip) then copy this file to c:\windows\system32\drivers

Before doing this is, if you installed any driver to use your Memory
Stick, you will need to uninstall it.

I had the same problem with a USB Memory Stick Reader and a Digital
Camera, but I solved it this way. I hope this help you too.

fta777.

"David" wrote:

> Hi,
> Posted yesterday, but I still have no solution. I appreciate any help or
> ideas. See below for problem description.
>
> Hi,
> I have a SiS 7001 PCI-to-USB Controller which works fine with my DigCam but
> doesn't recognize the USB memory stick. The memory stick is okay, I tried it
> at another Computer.
> I have tried all of the things described in
> http://www.usbman.com/Guides/SiS%20U...d%20Tricks.htm but it
> didn't help.
> I found out that the file "usbstor.sys" is missing in
> C:/Windows/System32/Drivers and downloaded it from the Internet to that
> place, but it didn't help. I also changed the drivers for USB to "Standard
> OpenHCD USB-Hostcontroller". Now I am out of ideas and I try this newsgroup
> as I think the problem is on Microsofts side.
>
> OS: WinXP (with ServicePack2)
> USB Memory Stick: GoChip(TM) USB2.0 Flash Drive Controller
>
> I appreciate any help and comments. You can also contact me directly via MSN
> Messenger ((E-Mail Removed)) or ICQ (145840208).
>
> Thanks a lot!
> David
>

> Olabisi Awoyele
> 9/11/2004 12:10 PM PST
> could be a service pack 2 issue, take this up with Microsoft would be my
> advise
>

> David
> 9/11/2004 12:18 PM PST
> it didn't work before either, that's why I installed SP2... :-(

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQ=?=

      10th Oct 2004
Hi,
thanks for your reply. I have both usbstor.inf in C:\WINDOWS\inf and
usbstor.sys in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers there, so that's not the problem.
I wonder how I may contact Microsoft Corporation directly to have someone
help me. At least I paid quite some money for my Windows XP OS, so I could
expect some support.
But thanks again.
Cheers
David

Bob I

      11th Oct 2004
Right hand side of page.

http://support.microsoft.com/winxp

David wrote:

> Hi,
> thanks for your reply. I have both usbstor.inf in C:\WINDOWS\inf and
> usbstor.sys in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers there, so that's not the problem.
> I wonder how I may contact Microsoft Corporation directly to have someone
> help me. At least I paid quite some money for my Windows XP OS, so I could
> expect some support.
> But thanks again.
> Cheers
> David

=?Utf-8?B?dmlqYXk=?=

      15th Oct 2004
there seems to be a general problem with usb connections and windows xp and
this is a big bug in xp sp2 so dont install it or you will find you cannot
access all ur usb devices. i would suggest going to device manager and
uninstalling all ur usb devices and hubs etc then let windows find them

"David" wrote:

> Hi,
> Posted yesterday, but I still have no solution. I appreciate any help or
> ideas. See below for problem description.
>
> Hi,
> I have a SiS 7001 PCI-to-USB Controller which works fine with my DigCam but
> doesn't recognize the USB memory stick. The memory stick is okay, I tried it
> at another Computer.
> I have tried all of the things described in
> http://www.usbman.com/Guides/SiS%20U...d%20Tricks.htm but it
> didn't help.
> I found out that the file "usbstor.sys" is missing in
> C:/Windows/System32/Drivers and downloaded it from the Internet to that
> place, but it didn't help. I also changed the drivers for USB to "Standard
> OpenHCD USB-Hostcontroller". Now I am out of ideas and I try this newsgroup
> as I think the problem is on Microsofts side.
>
> OS: WinXP (with ServicePack2)
> USB Memory Stick: GoChip(TM) USB2.0 Flash Drive Controller
>
> I appreciate any help and comments. You can also contact me directly via MSN
> Messenger ((E-Mail Removed)) or ICQ (145840208).
>
> Thanks a lot!
> David
>

> Olabisi Awoyele
> 9/11/2004 12:10 PM PST
> could be a service pack 2 issue, take this up with Microsoft would be my
> advise
>

> David
> 9/11/2004 12:18 PM PST
> it didn't work before either, that's why I installed SP2... :-(

Nathan McNulty

      16th Oct 2004
The problem is that the USB drivers often do not get updated when you
install SP2. This can be resolved through several methods including
installing your chipset (motherboard) drivers again.

Anything beside that is actually a problem with registry settings for
the device that would have happened on either SP1 or SP2. This can be
fixed as well, but I won't go into that ehre unless necessary.

-----
Nathan McNulty

vijay wrote:
> there seems to be a general problem with usb connections and windows xp and
> this is a big bug in xp sp2 so dont install it or you will find you cannot
> access all ur usb devices. i would suggest going to device manager and
> uninstalling all ur usb devices and hubs etc then let windows find them
>

> "David" wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>Posted yesterday, but I still have no solution. I appreciate any help or
>>ideas. See below for problem description.
>>
>>Hi,
>>I have a SiS 7001 PCI-to-USB Controller which works fine with my DigCam but
>>doesn't recognize the USB memory stick. The memory stick is okay, I tried it
>>at another Computer.
>>I have tried all of the things described in
>>http://www.usbman.com/Guides/SiS%20U...d%20Tricks.htm but it
>>didn't help.
>>I found out that the file "usbstor.sys" is missing in
>>C:/Windows/System32/Drivers and downloaded it from the Internet to that
>>place, but it didn't help. I also changed the drivers for USB to "Standard
>>OpenHCD USB-Hostcontroller". Now I am out of ideas and I try this newsgroup
>>as I think the problem is on Microsofts side.
>>
>>OS: WinXP (with ServicePack2)
>>USB Memory Stick: GoChip(TM) USB2.0 Flash Drive Controller
>>
>>I appreciate any help and comments. You can also contact me directly via MSN
>>Messenger ((E-Mail Removed)) or ICQ (145840208).
>>
>>Thanks a lot!
>>David
>>

>>Olabisi Awoyele
>> 9/11/2004 12:10 PM PST
>>could be a service pack 2 issue, take this up with Microsoft would be my
>>advise
>>

>>David
>> 9/11/2004 12:18 PM PST
>>it didn't work before either, that's why I installed SP2... :-(

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZSBT?=

      13th May 2005
Hi,

I know this is months after the start of this thread, but I figured it
might. I have exactly the same problem, no usb mass storage device was
recognised but my webcam is. I found a workaround by disabling the SiS PCI to
USB Enhanced Host Controller. This allowed my devices to to be recognised and
was able to use them. It unfortunately removes the ability to run at usb 2.0
speed (I think it reverts to 1.1) but at least you can access your devices.

I am now just waiting for a fix to emerge from MS or SiS, Oh well..........

"David" wrote:

> Hi,
> Posted yesterday, but I still have no solution. I appreciate any help or
> ideas. See below for problem description.
>
> Hi,
> I have a SiS 7001 PCI-to-USB Controller which works fine with my DigCam but
> doesn't recognize the USB memory stick. The memory stick is okay, I tried it
> at another Computer.
> I have tried all of the things described in
> http://www.usbman.com/Guides/SiS%20U...d%20Tricks.htm but it
> didn't help.
> I found out that the file "usbstor.sys" is missing in
> C:/Windows/System32/Drivers and downloaded it from the Internet to that
> place, but it didn't help. I also changed the drivers for USB to "Standard
> OpenHCD USB-Hostcontroller". Now I am out of ideas and I try this newsgroup
> as I think the problem is on Microsofts side.
>
> OS: WinXP (with ServicePack2)
> USB Memory Stick: GoChip(TM) USB2.0 Flash Drive Controller
>
> I appreciate any help and comments. You can also contact me directly via MSN
> Messenger ((E-Mail Removed)) or ICQ (145840208).
>
> Thanks a lot!
> David
>

> Olabisi Awoyele
> 9/11/2004 12:10 PM PST
> could be a service pack 2 issue, take this up with Microsoft would be my
> advise
>

> David
> 9/11/2004 12:18 PM PST
> it didn't work before either, that's why I installed SP2... :-(

=?Utf-8?B?SnVzdFVz?=

      17th Jul 2005
http://www.explorerxp.com/

Here is a great little program like Windows Explorer, but in some cases
better AND it will see your USB devices.

"Dave S" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I know this is months after the start of this thread, but I figured it
> might. I have exactly the same problem, no usb mass storage device was
> recognised but my webcam is. I found a workaround by disabling the SiS PCI to
> USB Enhanced Host Controller. This allowed my devices to to be recognised and
> was able to use them. It unfortunately removes the ability to run at usb 2.0
> speed (I think it reverts to 1.1) but at least you can access your devices.
>
> I am now just waiting for a fix to emerge from MS or SiS, Oh well..........
>
> "David" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Posted yesterday, but I still have no solution. I appreciate any help or
> > ideas. See below for problem description.
> >
> > Hi,
> > I have a SiS 7001 PCI-to-USB Controller which works fine with my DigCam but
> > doesn't recognize the USB memory stick. The memory stick is okay, I tried it
> > at another Computer.
> > I have tried all of the things described in
> > http://www.usbman.com/Guides/SiS%20U...d%20Tricks.htm but it
> > didn't help.
> > I found out that the file "usbstor.sys" is missing in
> > C:/Windows/System32/Drivers and downloaded it from the Internet to that
> > place, but it didn't help. I also changed the drivers for USB to "Standard
> > OpenHCD USB-Hostcontroller". Now I am out of ideas and I try this newsgroup
> > as I think the problem is on Microsofts side.
> >
> > OS: WinXP (with ServicePack2)
> > USB Memory Stick: GoChip(TM) USB2.0 Flash Drive Controller
> >
> > I appreciate any help and comments. You can also contact me directly via MSN
> > Messenger ((E-Mail Removed)) or ICQ (145840208).
> >
> > Thanks a lot!
> > David
> >

> > Olabisi Awoyele
> > 9/11/2004 12:10 PM PST
> > could be a service pack 2 issue, take this up with Microsoft would be my
> > advise
> >

> > David
> > 9/11/2004 12:18 PM PST
> > it didn't work before either, that's why I installed SP2... :-(

=?Utf-8?B?SnVzdFVz?=

      23rd Jul 2005
Nathan -
At times I can be a bit compulsive. This is one of those times. I have
seached hundreds of sites/forums for answers to flash media devices not
showing their drive in Windows Explorer or MyComputer. ZIO, Sandisk, and
Olympus have not found a solution either. The devices work fine, just don't
show drive letters. They do show up in Control Panel under Portable Media
Devices. However, I do not have all the right click or View options that are
offered in Explorer. The program ExplorerXP does not allow for thmbnail
viewing either, but I do have right click options. I am ready for registry
editing. Got help?