USB jump drive on Vista Home Basic won't work

JimV

      26th Nov 2007
When I plug in my PNY Attache 2.0 jump drive into my new computer, it asks to
install driver for my USB 2.0 FD. If I click on locate and install, nothing
is found. Device mgr reports this is not configured correctly. I know the
jump drive is good, as it works in my laptop. I tried disabling in device
mgr., and then re-plugging in, but that didn't work either. Do I have to
reinstall the USB Mass Storage Class Driver? Can this driver be gotten off
the MS web site? What is the name of the actual file?

Thanks!

BigJim

      26th Nov 2007
I never needed a driver for my thumb drives (Toshiba,Memorex) but if it
needs a driver I would look for it at the PNY site.

"JimV" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> When I plug in my PNY Attache 2.0 jump drive into my new computer, it asks
> install driver for my USB 2.0 FD. If I click on locate and install,
> nothing
> is found. Device mgr reports this is not configured correctly. I know the
> jump drive is good, as it works in my laptop. I tried disabling in device
> mgr., and then re-plugging in, but that didn't work either. Do I have to
> reinstall the USB Mass Storage Class Driver? Can this driver be gotten off
> the MS web site? What is the name of the actual file?
>
> Thanks!

JimV

      27th Nov 2007
Thanks, but already tried that. Their suggestions about searching in
Windows\System32, and then various subdirectories didn't work

"BigJim" wrote:

> I never needed a driver for my thumb drives (Toshiba,Memorex) but if it
> needs a driver I would look for it at the PNY site.
>
> "JimV" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > When I plug in my PNY Attache 2.0 jump drive into my new computer, it asks
> > install driver for my USB 2.0 FD. If I click on locate and install,
> > nothing
> > is found. Device mgr reports this is not configured correctly. I know the
> > jump drive is good, as it works in my laptop. I tried disabling in device
> > mgr., and then re-plugging in, but that didn't work either. Do I have to
> > reinstall the USB Mass Storage Class Driver? Can this driver be gotten off
> > the MS web site? What is the name of the actual file?
> >
> > Thanks!

Myron

      4th Dec 2007

"JimV" wrote:

> Thanks, but already tried that. Their suggestions about searching in
> Windows\System32, and then various subdirectories didn't work
>
> "BigJim" wrote:
>
> > I never needed a driver for my thumb drives (Toshiba,Memorex) but if it
> > needs a driver I would look for it at the PNY site.
> >
> > "JimV" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > When I plug in my PNY Attache 2.0 jump drive into my new computer, it asks
> > > install driver for my USB 2.0 FD. If I click on locate and install,
> > > nothing
> > > is found. Device mgr reports this is not configured correctly. I know the
> > > jump drive is good, as it works in my laptop. I tried disabling in device
> > > mgr., and then re-plugging in, but that didn't work either. Do I have to
> > > reinstall the USB Mass Storage Class Driver? Can this driver be gotten off
> > > the MS web site? What is the name of the actual file?
> > >
> > > Thanks!

> > I purchased a HP Pavilion with Vista home premium pre installed and found that the usb ports worked fine for printers and usb mouse however did not work for jump drives. I have been looking for fixes for about 3 weeks. I found some very helpful advice from some people on these blogs.Microsoft and HP were no help at all. This is what I did to fix the problem, first I checked my c: drive for a file named usbstor.inf open command prompt cd to c:/ then type dir usdstor.inf /s this should find the file if it is not in c:\windows\infdir then copy it and past it there. The file was not on my hard drive anywhere so I copied it from my XP profesional computer as well as the USBSTOR.sys file this file goes in your c:\windows\system32\driver file, I also copied the following files from my XP system c:\windows\inf\usbstor and c:\windows\inf\usbstor.PNF. The usbstor and usbstor.PNF files were copied into the c:\windows\inf file on my Vista computer. I also changed a line in the

Regestery HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\microsoft\windows\currentversion double click on Device Path and add :%SystemRoot%System32 to the end of the line. I rebooted the laptop and plugged one of my usb devices in, it did not see it automaticaly however I went to device manager and double clicked on the usb device and said to upgrade driver(do not let windows look for drivers) do a manual search brouse to c:\ then have the computer search. I have been able to use all my usb devices after I did this.