US Logic USB Drive Crashes ME

Gary Brown

      1st Nov 2003
Hi,

I have a new US Logic 60GB external drive that crashes
two computers running ME. A third, running XP, works
fine. The two running ME are a laptop and a home built
AMD K6-2 500. All they have in common is ME. All
of these computers have older USB ports, ie, not USB 2.

Does anyone have some insight into this problem?

Thanks,
Gary

Clanger

      1st Nov 2003

"Gary Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I have a new US Logic 60GB external drive that crashes
> two computers running ME. A third, running XP, works
> fine. The two running ME are a laptop and a home built
> AMD K6-2 500. All they have in common is ME. All
> of these computers have older USB ports, ie, not USB 2.
>
> Does anyone have some insight into this problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Gary

While I know this is for a Fortress drive it might be a starting point.

How can I verify that my USB port has enough power* to operate the Fortress
drive?

Using Windows 98/Me OS:

Right-click the My Computer icon. Select Properties. Select the Device
Manager tab. In the Device Manager, click the + sign next to Universal
Serial Bus Controllers. Right-click the USB Root Hub and select Properties.
Select the Power tab and then select the Power Properties button. This will
tell you how much power is available and how much power is being given to
each device. The port must have a minimum of 500 milliamps of power
available to operate the Fortress drive.

Drives are normally backward compatible. ie USB 2 devices will work fine on
a USB 1.1 port

Also some external drives do not like the Windows drivers and require their
own. Perhaps a look at the Logic drivers might be your next move

clanger

kony

      1st Nov 2003
On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 21:38:30 -0500, "Gary Brown"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have a new US Logic 60GB external drive that crashes
>two computers running ME. A third, running XP, works
>fine. The two running ME are a laptop and a home built
>AMD K6-2 500. All they have in common is ME. All
>of these computers have older USB ports, ie, not USB 2.
>
>Does anyone have some insight into this problem?
>
>Thanks,
>Gary

You might try updating the motherboard chipset drivers, and
enabling legacy USB in the BIOS... for some reason the legacy USB
setting *can* allow some USB devices to work properly in Windows,
though I've found that setting-change most useful for HP printers,
never tried it for an external drive.

Dave

Shepİ

      1st Nov 2003
On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 21:38:30 -0500, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Gary Brown"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :

>Hi,
>
>I have a new US Logic 60GB external drive that crashes
>two computers running ME. A third, running XP, works
>fine. The two running ME are a laptop and a home built
>AMD K6-2 500. All they have in common is ME. All
>of these computers have older USB ports, ie, not USB 2.
>
>Does anyone have some insight into this problem?
>
>Thanks,
>Gary

Try here,
http://www.usbman.com/Troubleshooter%20General.htm