URGENT - VB.Net app and Wireless...

=?Utf-8?B?WmFoaWQ=?=

      5th Feb 2004
Hi,

Please recommend a course of action....

Im working on my first .NET CF project and writing an app using VB.NET. It is a critical requirement that my app detects the wireless connection every 'second' as it 'could' receive datagrams from the host network. Ive read a number of discussions from this forum regarding the subject of detecting wireless signal strength but all is not clear :-\

If its not possible to detect the wireless signal strength using the C#/VB.Net and the .Net CF then which programming language/technology should be used?

I hear that iPAQ have written a DLL that allows you to PInvoke to get this data which is brill but that means restricting clients to iPAQ's which is a NO NO. Symbol provide a custom control which allows you to obtain this info.

If a new programming language/tool is needed will the allow detection of wireless signal strength on (ALL / ANY) PocketPC and WinCE devices?

Please reply Urgently as a business decision is soon to be made.

Thanks in advance.

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

      5th Feb 2004
Try the code I posted yesterday. There's no built-in way to detect wireless
signal strength form .NET CF, no.

I'm not entirely sure that my code will work on PPC2000 or PPC2002, either,
although it should work on CE.NET and PPC2003 devices (I'm hoping that
you'll tell me whether it does or not).

Paul T.

"Zahid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Please recommend a course of action....
>
> Im working on my first .NET CF project and writing an app using VB.NET.

It is a critical requirement that my app detects the wireless connection
every 'second' as it 'could' receive datagrams from the host network. Ive
read a number of discussions from this forum regarding the subject of
detecting wireless signal strength but all is not clear :-\

> If its not possible to detect the wireless signal strength using the

C#/VB.Net and the .Net CF then which programming language/technology should
be used?

> I hear that iPAQ have written a DLL that allows you to PInvoke to get this

data which is brill but that means restricting clients to iPAQ's which is a
NO NO. Symbol provide a custom control which allows you to obtain this
info.

> If a new programming language/tool is needed will the allow detection of

wireless signal strength on (ALL / ANY) PocketPC and WinCE devices?

> Please reply Urgently as a business decision is soon to be made.
>
> Thanks in advance.

=?Utf-8?B?WmFoaWQ=?=

      5th Feb 2004
Hi

Thanks Paul. Im new to all this Windows programming as ive come from a database background (Oracle). How do I use the code you provided with Alex Feinmans GetAdaptersInfo() ? In a previous post it says to create a DLL? Well, DLL's are new to me so plz help..

Thanks in advance

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

      5th Feb 2004
You don't need Alex's code. If you compile the class library I sent, it's
self-contained. No DLLs (external) are needed. The class library, of
course, compiles to a DLL, but that's it.

Paul T.

"Zahid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Thanks Paul. Im new to all this Windows programming as ive come from a

database background (Oracle). How do I use the code you provided with Alex
Feinmans GetAdaptersInfo() ? In a previous post it says to create a DLL?
Well, DLL's are new to me so plz help...

> Thanks in advance.

=?Utf-8?B?WmFoaWQ=?=

      5th Feb 2004
Hi,

Thanks for the swift reply Paul. Im a little confused about the code, where can I obtain it from?

Do you mean use VS.Net to compile it? Sorry but its all new to me. Once its compiled is there a certain location I place it in to use it, like the windows directory?

Really sorry for the hassle, Ive had a very hectic day.

Thanks in advance.

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

      5th Feb 2004
Hi,

I posted it yesterday. Your news reader should allow you to find it. The
thread title was "Check Signal".

The code is two projects: one a class library that actually does the signal
strength query, and a sample program. If you load the sample program into
VS.NET 2003 and compile it, it will compile both the class library and the
sample. At that point, you just let VS.NET 2003 deploy the resulting
program and let it worry about where to put the pieces.

Paul T.

"Zahid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the swift reply Paul. Im a little confused about the code,

where can I obtain it from?

> Do you mean use VS.Net to compile it? Sorry but its all new to me. Once

its compiled is there a certain location I place it in to use it, like the
windows directory?

> Really sorry for the hassle, Ive had a very hectic day.
>
> Thanks in advance.

=?Utf-8?B?WmFoaWQ=?=

      5th Feb 2004
Hi Paul

So Sorry. All i can find is the link to this URL that shows only a function in C code. I cant find no file attachments? Am I being clumsy? which Newsgroup? I checked in this newsgroup

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...blic.windowsce.

Thanks in advance.

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

      5th Feb 2004
No, you want to look in the newsgroup where we're having this conversation,
microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework. The code in the project
I'm mentioning is *based* on that C code...

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...ic.windowsce.*

> Thanks in advance.

=?Utf-8?B?WmFoaWQ=?=

      6th Feb 2004
Hi

OK..... This has gone far enough..... Paul you have been extremely helpful.... but i honestly cant obtain the files.... Im reading the newsgroup threads through my web browser and found the thread you mentioned but no files were attached with the code example:-\

Would it be possible if you could email them to me Please? A business decision will be made within the next 2 working days....

Greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance.

Héctor M Obregón

      9th Feb 2004