Upper Lower Filters in XP Registry

Neal Lavon

      28th Feb 2005
Jim, I also just saw a BIOS update for the motherboard that says:

Fix HDD in master may not be detected while CD-ROM connects to slave.

??

Neal Lavon
Takoma Park. MD
USA

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 14:20:19 -0500, Neal Lavon <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> [...]
>
>For what it's worth, here's the data in the box below the error
>message:
>
>0000: 03 04 68 00 01 00 b8 00 ..h....
>0008: 00 00 00 00 0b 00 04 c0 .......
>0010: 01 01 00 00 85 01 00 c0 ....?..
>0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
>0020: 00 80 00 00 00 00 00 00 .?......
>0028: 3f 69 00 00 00 00 00 00 ?i......
>0030: ff ff ff ff 00 00 00 00 ....
>0038: 40 00 00 c4 02 00 01 00 @......
>0040: ff 20 0a 12 4c 02 00 00 ..L...
>0048: 00 08 00 00 0a 00 00 00 ........
>0050: 00 00 c7 85 90 eb b4 86 ..? [square box] ?
>0058: 00 00 00 00 f8 8b ef 86 ....??
>0060: 00 60 f7 86 10 00 00 00 .`?....
>0068: 28 00 00 00 00 10 00 00 (.......
>0070: 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
>0078: 70 00 04 00 00 00 00 0a p.......
>0080: 00 00 00 00 08 00 00 00 ........
>0088: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
>
>Also on Driver File Details in Device Driver:
>
>C:\\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\Cdr4_xp.sys
>C:\\WINDOWS\system32\driversCdral2k.sys
>C:\\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys
>C:\\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\imapi.sys
>C:\\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\pwd_2k.sys
>C:\\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\redbook.sys
>C:\\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\strorprop.dll
>
>In the Registry Key, 4D36E965-E325-11CE...
>LowerFilters is REG_MULTI_SZ Cdr4_xp
>UpperFilters REG_MULTI_SZ Cdralw2k pwd_2k
>LowerFilters.Bak REG_MULTI_SZ PxHelp20 PFC
>UpperFilters.Bak REG_MULTI_SZ InCDPass GEARAspiWDM
>
>There is no trace of Nero software (Ahead Company) (InCD left) in
>Add/Remove Programs. So I'm really stumped and frustrated.
>
>Questions:
>
>a) someone in a thread here said that the PxHelp20 PFC file is
>corrupted. I have seen that it's a Trojan Virus and keeps CD-ROMs from
>working properly. It is in the Drivers file. How does one "disable"
>it? Just remove it from the Drivers File?
>
>b) delete in the Registry the Upper and Lower Filters.Bak files? Run
>cdgone.reg again?
>
>I think I'm nearing a possible solution here. Thanks!
>
>Neal Lavon
>Takoma Park, MD
>USA
>On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 22:35:32 -0800, "Jim Byrd"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hi Neal - If you've wired and jumpered as you say, then you may well have a
>>conflict. I'd just switch the middle and end connectors (moving the drives
>>if needed for convenience) if your documentation recommends that the one you
>>currently have jumpered as Slave should be that way - some drives cannot
>>support being a master. For right now see if that fixes things for you.
>>[Later you might want to do some reading on the net about alternative
>>configurations such as having each HD be master and each CD/DVD drive be
>>slave. Do a Google on this for more info - it's thought by some experts to
>>have some advantages. Let's see if re-connecting the drives cleans things
>>up first though. Then you can look at things like that and doing such
>>things as enabling DMA for your CD/DVD drives (which is a whole other thing

Jim Byrd

      28th Feb 2005
Hi Neal - You need to also check on the individual drives to see how the dip
switches or jumpers are set and be sure that they correspond with the places
you've placed them on the cable. That is, the DVD (which I now understand
you've placed on the middle connector) needs to be set to Master or M or
however it's marked, while the CD-ROM wants to be set to Slave or S, or
whatever.

--
Please respond in the same thread.
Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Neal Lavon <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> [...]
>
>> Hi Neal - If you've wired and jumpered as you say, then you may well
>> have a conflict. I'd just switch the middle and end connectors
>> (moving the drives if needed for convenience) if your documentation
>> recommends that the one you currently have jumpered as Slave should
>> be that way - some drives cannot support being a master. For right
>> now see if that fixes things for you. [Later you might want to do
>> some reading on the net about alternative configurations such as
>> having each HD be master and each CD/DVD drive be slave. Do a
>> Google on this for more info - it's thought by some experts to have
>> some advantages. Let's see if re-connecting the drives cleans
>> things up first though. Then you can look at things like that and
>> doing such things as enabling DMA for your CD/DVD drives (which is a
>> whole other thing ) ] Please let us know what happens.

Hi Neal - I'd leave this alone for now - you're not AFAIK showing that
symptom at the moment. Upgrading firmware for a BIOS can be a little tricky
and has to be done "just right", EXACTLY following EVERY STEP of the
directions, or you risk making your machine unusable. After you get things
cleaned up, you can make that update - download it and read the directions
VERY carefully, several times, and don't proceed until you're absolutely
sure about what you need to do (and you can also check for any possible
updates to the firmware for those two optical drives.)

--
> [...]

>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Neal - If you've wired and jumpered as you say, then you may
>>> well have a conflict. I'd just switch the middle and end
>>> connectors (moving the drives if needed for convenience) if your
>>> documentation recommends that the one you currently have jumpered
>>> as Slave should be that way - some drives cannot support being a
>>> master. For right now see if that fixes things for you. [Later you
>>> might want to do some reading on the net about alternative
>>> configurations such as having each HD be master and each CD/DVD
>>> drive be slave. Do a Google on this for more info - it's thought
>>> by some experts to have some advantages. Let's see if
>>> re-connecting the drives cleans things up first though. Then you
>>> can look at things like that and doing such things as enabling DMA
>>> for your CD/DVD drives (which is a whole other thing ) ]

I did check on the CD-ROM drive and the DVD drive. The DVD is set as
Master and is in the middle position on the chain; the CD-ROM is set
as slave and is in the top position. Both are put on my motherboard,
an Asus PG51d, to the Secondary IDE channel.

The board has RAID as a possible configuration although the secondary
channel defaults to IDE unless RAID is enabled. I'll check that in
BIOS setup. Any idea on the continuing 51 and 11 errors? I did get a
new IDE cable--blue connector to motherboard, middle connector to
DVD-ROM, top connector to CD-ROM. I really thought that was going to
do it.

By the way, Asus has a nice Windows environment BIOS flasher utility
which I've used before and worked well. Thanks again for all the
interest in this.

Neal Lavon
Takoma Park, MD
USA

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 21:23:40 -0800, "Jim Byrd"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi Neal - You need to also check on the individual drives to see how the dip
>switches or jumpers are set and be sure that they correspond with the places
>you've placed them on the cable. That is, the DVD (which I now understand
>you've placed on the middle connector) needs to be set to Master or M or
>however it's marked, while the CD-ROM wants to be set to Slave or S, or
>whatever.

nlavon@comcast.net

      28th Feb 2005
Just another thought, Jim. I got off the phone with Asus Technical
support who said to put the optical drives on the primary IDE connector
on the motherboard and the hard drives on the secondary IDE. Does that
make sense to you?m What do you think?

Neal Lavon
Takoma Park, MD
USA

Neal Lavon wrote:
> I did check on the CD-ROM drive and the DVD drive. The DVD is set as
> Master and is in the middle position on the chain; the CD-ROM is set
> as slave and is in the top position. Both are put on my motherboard,
> an Asus PG51d, to the Secondary IDE channel.
>
> The board has RAID as a possible configuration although the secondary
> channel defaults to IDE unless RAID is enabled. I'll check that in
> BIOS setup. Any idea on the continuing 51 and 11 errors? I did get a
> new IDE cable--blue connector to motherboard, middle connector to
> DVD-ROM, top connector to CD-ROM. I really thought that was going to
> do it.
>
> By the way, Asus has a nice Windows environment BIOS flasher utility
> which I've used before and worked well. Thanks again for all the
> interest in this.
>
> Neal Lavon
> Takoma Park, MD
> USA
>
> On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 21:23:40 -0800, "Jim Byrd"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Hi Neal - You need to also check on the individual drives to see how

the dip
> >switches or jumpers are set and be sure that they correspond with

the places
> >you've placed them on the cable. That is, the DVD (which I now

understand
> >you've placed on the middle connector) needs to be set to Master or

M or
> >however it's marked, while the CD-ROM wants to be set to Slave or S,

or
> >whatever.

Jim Byrd

      28th Feb 2005
Hi Neal - Well, I'm not clear on just why, but it could relate to a
peculiarity of how that particular MB handles those channels and/or how the
OS enumerates them. (It occurs to me that this might be a Plug'nPlay issue,
also. You might want to disable that service and then try deleting and
reinstalling the optical drives one at a time using the original install
media that came with them. Restart PnP after you finish) I don't see any
obvious reason why it would hurt, so why not? Neal, I'm going to be leaving
this thread (I'm going in for some fairly major 'body work' and will be
out of these newsgroups for a while), but I've asked some of my fellow MVP's
to take a look at this thread and see if they can offer any assistance to
you (may be better anyway, since I haven't done you much good ) Good
luck with this!

--
Please respond in the same thread.
Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> Just another thought, Jim. I got off the phone with Asus Technical
> support who said to put the optical drives on the primary IDE
> connector on the motherboard and the hard drives on the secondary
> IDE. Does that make sense to you?m What do you think?
>
> Neal Lavon
> Takoma Park, MD
> USA
>
> Neal Lavon wrote:
>> I did check on the CD-ROM drive and the DVD drive. The DVD is set as
>> Master and is in the middle position on the chain; the CD-ROM is set
>> as slave and is in the top position. Both are put on my motherboard,
>> an Asus PG51d, to the Secondary IDE channel.
>>
>> The board has RAID as a possible configuration although the secondary
>> channel defaults to IDE unless RAID is enabled. I'll check that in
>> BIOS setup. Any idea on the continuing 51 and 11 errors? I did get a
>> new IDE cable--blue connector to motherboard, middle connector to
>> DVD-ROM, top connector to CD-ROM. I really thought that was going to
>> do it.
>>
>> By the way, Asus has a nice Windows environment BIOS flasher utility
>> which I've used before and worked well. Thanks again for all the
>> interest in this.
>>
>> Neal Lavon
>> Takoma Park, MD
>> USA
>>
>> On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 21:23:40 -0800, "Jim Byrd"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Neal - You need to also check on the individual drives to see
>>> how the dip switches or jumpers are set and be sure that they
>>> correspond with the places you've placed them on the cable. That
>>> is, the DVD (which I now understand you've placed on the middle
>>> connector) needs to be set to Master or M or however it's marked,
>>> while the CD-ROM wants to be set to Slave or S, or whatever.

nlavon@comcast.net

      28th Feb 2005
I understand, Jim, and I appreciate all the time you've given this.
I'll just post to this thread when I reattach the drives to different
channels on the motherboard.

Good luck.

Neal Lavon

Jim Byrd

      28th Feb 2005
YW, Neal and thanks for your good wishes.

--
Please respond in the same thread.
Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> I understand, Jim, and I appreciate all the time you've given this.
> I'll just post to this thread when I reattach the drives to different
> channels on the motherboard.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Neal Lavon

New Member

      30th Oct 2008
Ive probable done this hundreds of times to fix cd rom issues caused by software conflicts. I have yet to see removing these filters cause a system to not boot. I would say follow directions exactly and you would be fine.