Upper Lower Filters in XP Registry

Neal Lavon

      16th Feb 2005
Since Windows 2000 is fairly close to XP, I thought I would ask...I
believe my Upper and Lower Filters values in the key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
is corrupted because my CD-ROM is recognized by the system but cannot
play any CDs or show any data. By the way, the values read:
Upper Filters: REG_SZ InCDPass GEARAspiWDM Cdralw2k pwd_2k
There is also a .bak value: InCDPass GEARAspiWDM

The Lower Filter is: PXHelp20 PFC Cdr4_xp
There is also a .bak value of PXHelp20 PFC

I'm a little leery of deleting these keys (as advised) but can someone
tell me how relatively safe or not these particular values are and
what danger exists in hosing the registry? I do have a backup.

Thanks for any help.

Neal Lavon
Takoma Park, MD
USA

John John

      16th Feb 2005
You want to be careful deleting some of these CD writer keys, it could
render your system unbootable. Read here for possible solutions:

http://search.microsoft.com/search/r...8002BE10318%7d

The reason you can't read your cd's might be because an associated Nero
service doesn't start. Look in the Services Manager to change or start
the necessary service(s).

A note about InCD:

"This is the InCD software which enables you to drag files onto a CD-R
directly from Windows Explorer, or to save onto CD directly from within
applications like Microsoft Word, without using the CD Recording
software that came with your CD-Writer (Nero). While a great and
potentially very useful concept, the limitations of InCD CDs (CDs
created with InCD are only ever guaranteed to be readable in CD Writers
that are the same model as the CD Writer in which the CD was created
it is not unusual not to be able to read a CD created via InCD, in
another CD-ROM drive) lead us to always recommend its removal. We
advocate to instead always use its sister product, Nero (also called
"Nero Burning ROM"), to create CDs, as that is the only method that
guarantees that you will be able to read the CDs you create in any other
CD, CD-Writer, or DVD drive a crucial consideration if you are using
CDs for data backups !

Recommendation :
Unless you do make use of InCD, remove it via "Add/Remove Programs" in
the Control Panel. Otherwise right-click on it in the System Tray and
temporarily disable it whenever you need to use other software that will
want to write to your CD Writer."

http://www.answersthatwork.com/

These CD/DVD writer software packages can cause havoc on your system.
As for InCD I would follow the advice offered by answersthatwork.

John

Neal Lavon wrote:
> Since Windows 2000 is fairly close to XP, I thought I would ask...I
> believe my Upper and Lower Filters values in the key:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
> is corrupted because my CD-ROM is recognized by the system but cannot
> play any CDs or show any data. By the way, the values read:
> Upper Filters: REG_SZ InCDPass GEARAspiWDM Cdralw2k pwd_2k
> There is also a .bak value: InCDPass GEARAspiWDM
>
> The Lower Filter is: PXHelp20 PFC Cdr4_xp
> There is also a .bak value of PXHelp20 PFC
>
> I'm a little leery of deleting these keys (as advised) but can someone
> tell me how relatively safe or not these particular values are and
> what danger exists in hosing the registry? I do have a backup.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Neal Lavon
> Takoma Park, MD
> USA

Dave Patrick

      16th Feb 2005
This article may help.

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Neal Lavon" wrote:
| Since Windows 2000 is fairly close to XP, I thought I would ask...I
| believe my Upper and Lower Filters values in the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
| is corrupted because my CD-ROM is recognized by the system but cannot
| play any CDs or show any data. By the way, the values read:
| Upper Filters: REG_SZ InCDPass GEARAspiWDM Cdralw2k pwd_2k
| There is also a .bak value: InCDPass GEARAspiWDM
|
| The Lower Filter is: PXHelp20 PFC Cdr4_xp
| There is also a .bak value of PXHelp20 PFC
|
| I'm a little leery of deleting these keys (as advised) but can someone
| tell me how relatively safe or not these particular values are and
| what danger exists in hosing the registry? I do have a backup.
|
| Thanks for any help.
|
| Neal Lavon
| Takoma Park, MD
| USA

nlavon@comcast.net

      16th Feb 2005
Gosh, thanks for this advice. I really was queasy last night attempting
this for fear I'd hose the system.

I'll check out the Services Manager and delete the damned thing.

Neal Lavon
Takoma Park, MD
USA

-
> it is not unusual not to be able to read a CD created via InCD, in
> another CD-ROM drive) lead us to always recommend its removal. We
> advocate to instead always use its sister product, Nero (also called
> "Nero Burning ROM"), to create CDs, as that is the only method that
> guarantees that you will be able to read the CDs you create in any

other
> CD, CD-Writer, or DVD drive - a crucial consideration if you are

using
> CDs for data backups !
>
> Recommendation :
> Unless you do make use of InCD, remove it via "Add/Remove Programs"

in
> the Control Panel. Otherwise right-click on it in the System Tray

and
> temporarily disable it whenever you need to use other software that

will
> want to write to your CD Writer."
>
> http://www.answersthatwork.com/
>
> These CD/DVD writer software packages can cause havoc on your system.

> As for InCD I would follow the advice offered by answersthatwork.
>
> John
>
> Neal Lavon wrote:
> > Since Windows 2000 is fairly close to XP, I thought I would ask...I
> > believe my Upper and Lower Filters values in the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
> > is corrupted because my CD-ROM is recognized by the system but

cannot
> > play any CDs or show any data. By the way, the values read:
> > Upper Filters: REG_SZ InCDPass GEARAspiWDM Cdralw2k pwd_2k
> > There is also a .bak value: InCDPass GEARAspiWDM
> >
> > The Lower Filter is: PXHelp20 PFC Cdr4_xp
> > There is also a .bak value of PXHelp20 PFC
> >
> > I'm a little leery of deleting these keys (as advised) but can

someone
> > tell me how relatively safe or not these particular values are and
> > what danger exists in hosing the registry? I do have a backup.
> >
> > Thanks for any help.
> >
> > Neal Lavon
> > Takoma Park, MD
> > USA

abram@mailinator.com

      16th Feb 2005
PXHelp20 is a faulty driver. You may want to try deleting it first.
--
http://www.firestreamer.com - NTBackup to DVD and DV

Neal Lavon wrote:
> Since Windows 2000 is fairly close to XP, I thought I would ask...I
> believe my Upper and Lower Filters values in the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
> is corrupted because my CD-ROM is recognized by the system but cannot
> play any CDs or show any data. By the way, the values read:
> Upper Filters: REG_SZ InCDPass GEARAspiWDM Cdralw2k pwd_2k
> There is also a .bak value: InCDPass GEARAspiWDM
>
> The Lower Filter is: PXHelp20 PFC Cdr4_xp
> There is also a .bak value of PXHelp20 PFC
>
> I'm a little leery of deleting these keys (as advised) but can

someone
> tell me how relatively safe or not these particular values are and
> what danger exists in hosing the registry? I do have a backup.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Neal Lavon
> Takoma Park, MD
> USA

Jim Byrd

      16th Feb 2005
Hi Neal - Try using this reg file to handle the delete (it takes care of
deleting some other things which can cause problems as well):
http://forum.aumha.org/ http://www.aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip This is
pretty much the "standard" fix for this type of issue. Backup first so that
you can recover if there are problems (there aren't usually, BTW).

--
Please respond in the same thread.
Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Neal Lavon <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> Since Windows 2000 is fairly close to XP, I thought I would ask...I
> believe my Upper and Lower Filters values in the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11C
E-BFC1-08002BE10318}
> is corrupted because my CD-ROM is recognized by the system but cannot
> play any CDs or show any data. By the way, the values read:
> Upper Filters: REG_SZ InCDPass GEARAspiWDM Cdralw2k pwd_2k
> There is also a .bak value: InCDPass GEARAspiWDM
>
> The Lower Filter is: PXHelp20 PFC Cdr4_xp
> There is also a .bak value of PXHelp20 PFC
>
> I'm a little leery of deleting these keys (as advised) but can someone
> tell me how relatively safe or not these particular values are and
> what danger exists in hosing the registry? I do have a backup.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Neal Lavon
> Takoma Park, MD
> USA

Neal Lavon

      17th Feb 2005
Jim, do I replace the CD-ROM default Microsoft Driver? One poster said
I might have a corrupted driver. I do have a fresh copy of
CDr4_xp.sys. Before reboot after when system searches for driver for
CD-ROM?

Thanks!

Neal Lavon
Takoma Park, MD
USA

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 13:07:08 -0800, "Jim Byrd"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi Neal - Try using this reg file to handle the delete (it takes care of
>deleting some other things which can cause problems as well):
>http://forum.aumha.org/ http://www.aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip This is
>pretty much the "standard" fix for this type of issue. Backup first so that
>you can recover if there are problems (there aren't usually, BTW).

Jim Byrd

      17th Feb 2005
Hi Neal - If you're sure that you have a "clean" copy of the driver, I would
replace it first, then reboot and see if that fixes the problem. If not,
you can then run the .reg fix. You may have difficulty replacing it because
it's an "in use" system file; if so, you can use one of the programs below
to do that for you.

I don't currently happen to have a copy of XP installed, but I believe that
that's not a protected file (my version - cdr4_2k.sys - doesn't appear to be
in my current Win2kProSP4), so you should only have to replace it in
%SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers folder I think, but check the
System32\dllcache folder and the ServicePackFiles folders also just to be
sure, and if it's there replace it in those locations also.

From one of my "standard" cleaning-up-malware posts:

"A program called Copylock, here,
http://noeld.com/programs.asp?cat=misc#CopyLock can aid in the process of
"replacing, moving, renaming or deleting one or many files which are
currently in use (e.g. system files like comctl32.dll, or virus/trojan
files.)" Another is Killbox, here:
http://www.downloads.subratam.org/KillBox.zip
A third which is a bit different but often useful is Delete Invalid File,
here: http://www.purgeie.com/delinv.htm which handles invalid/UNC
file/folder name deleting, rather than the in use problem."

--
Please respond in the same thread.
Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Neal Lavon <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> Jim, do I replace the CD-ROM default Microsoft Driver? One poster said
> I might have a corrupted driver. I do have a fresh copy of
> CDr4_xp.sys. Before reboot after when system searches for driver for
> CD-ROM?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Neal Lavon
> Takoma Park, MD
> USA
>
> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 13:07:08 -0800, "Jim Byrd"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Hi Neal - Try using this reg file to handle the delete (it takes
>> care of deleting some other things which can cause problems as well):
>> http://forum.aumha.org/ http://www.aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip
>> This is pretty much the "standard" fix for this type of issue.
>> Backup first so that you can recover if there are problems (there
>> aren't usually, BTW).

Neal Lavon

      17th Feb 2005
Thanks, Jim. Just one last item before I take your advice! For Driver
Details on my non-functioning CD-ROM, I see a series of driver files
in Device Manager/Driver File Details:

They are all in c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers folder:
Cdr4_xp.sys
Cdralw2k.sys
cdrom.sys
GEARAspiWDM.sys
imapi.sys
InCDPass.sys
pfc.sys
pwd_2k.sys
PxHelp20.sys
redbook.sys
storprop.sys

There are green checks next to the redbook, storprop, imapi and
cdrom.sys files.So is the cdrom.sys the magic file here if I can get
that one? Also PxHelp20.sys may be fault; I did get a new version of
that one.

I did not see a dllcache folder but the cdrom.sys file is in my
Service Pack/i386 folder.

Is the easiest thing just to run the .reg file?
BTW, the InCD file is something that Nero Burning ROM must have
installed...grrr. Cdralw2k is from Adaptec which makes Easy CD Creator
7, the burn program I have,

Thanks for all your help.

Neal Lavon
Takoma Park, MD
USA

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 00:33:47 -0800, "Jim Byrd"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi Neal - If you're sure that you have a "clean" copy of the driver, I would
>replace it first, then reboot and see if that fixes the problem. If not,
>you can then run the .reg fix. You may have difficulty replacing it because
>it's an "in use" system file; if so, you can use one of the programs below
>to do that for you.
>
>I don't currently happen to have a copy of XP installed, but I believe that
>that's not a protected file (my version - cdr4_2k.sys - doesn't appear to be
>in my current Win2kProSP4), so you should only have to replace it in
>%SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers folder I think, but check the
>System32\dllcache folder and the ServicePackFiles folders also just to be
>sure, and if it's there replace it in those locations also.
>
>From one of my "standard" cleaning-up-malware posts:
>
>"A program called Copylock, here,
>http://noeld.com/programs.asp?cat=misc#CopyLock can aid in the process of
>"replacing, moving, renaming or deleting one or many files which are
>currently in use (e.g. system files like comctl32.dll, or virus/trojan
>files.)" Another is Killbox, here:
>http://www.downloads.subratam.org/KillBox.zip
>A third which is a bit different but often useful is Delete Invalid File,
>here: http://www.purgeie.com/delinv.htm which handles invalid/UNC
>file/folder name deleting, rather than the in use problem."

Jim Byrd

      17th Feb 2005
Hi Neal - Ah, new data!

If you have both InCD and Easy CD Creator's Drag to Disk DirectCD, their
respective drivers are known to confict badly with each other. These are
two fundamentally different approaches to packet writing to your RW CD/DVD.
You should try to uninstall one or the other (I would suggest the InCD, as
IIRC it's easiest - use Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel).

You might also want to disable XP's built-in CDWriter if you consistently
use Easy CD Creator or Nero by preference. There have been some reports of
conflicts here also. To stop it, go to Administrative Tools|Services. In
Services, double click on (IIRC I think it's) Imapi cd burning then
Stop and then Disable.

Reboot after each removal/disable, then run the .reg file fix and reboot. I
would suggest that you try this first before replacing the driver, contrary
to what we last discussed.