Upload to FP Extensions Server drop Link Bar Style

=?Utf-8?B?VWxmIFdvbGY=?=

      21st Oct 2004
I use an ISP with Front Page 2003 Extensions enabled.

The upload goes fine and does not display any errors. However, while the
pages when viewed locally display with the correct style (pixel) for the link
bar navigation buttons, once I publish and check the site online, those style
elements are no longer there, and only regular text displays.

I also noticed that the _derived directory did not upload.

If I use FTP instead, and upload the entire site and all sub folders, the
link bar displays with the right style. However, if I again open the remote
site in FrontPage, the program sets the remote files to their prior state,
i.e., without the link bar style.

I am mystified.

What am I doing wrong?

The site was initially created using FrontPage2002, but updated with
FrontPage 2003.

Any words of wisdom?
--
Ulf Wolf
Wolfstuff

Ronx

      21st Oct 2004
There are NO FrontPage 2003 extensions - the latest (and probably last) are
FP2002. Which version of extensions is your host running?

Custom link bars, and Nav Bar styles other than the default theme require
FP2002 extensions installed and working on the server.

Using FTP to upload folders will kill the FrontPage extensions. The
extensions will need to be checked, and possibly reinstalled.

--
Ron Symonds (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)

"Ulf Wolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
>I use an ISP with Front Page 2003 Extensions enabled.
>
> The upload goes fine and does not display any errors. However, while the
> pages when viewed locally display with the correct style (pixel) for the
> link
> bar navigation buttons, once I publish and check the site online, those
> style
> elements are no longer there, and only regular text displays.
>
> I also noticed that the _derived directory did not upload.
>
> If I use FTP instead, and upload the entire site and all sub folders, the
> link bar displays with the right style. However, if I again open the
> remote
> site in FrontPage, the program sets the remote files to their prior state,
> i.e., without the link bar style.
>
> I am mystified.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> The site was initially created using FrontPage2002, but updated with
> FrontPage 2003.
>
> Any words of wisdom?
> --
> Ulf Wolf
> Wolfstuff

=?Utf-8?B?VWxmIFdvbGY=?=

      21st Oct 2004
Dear Ronx,

Thanks for your spot on answer. There was a conflict between the default
style and the link bar style, once I corrected that it all uploaded fine and
the link bar displayes in the correct style when opened online.

Only question I have now is why the _derive directory seems to have a
"hangover" with files from the old, no longer used, style. Shouldn't the
upload process, or the generation process within FP2003 delete those (I'm
using pixel now as the default, but used to have eclipse default with pixel
link bar; the _derive directory still has quite a few eclipse .gif files,
which I don't see any use for now - should I clean them out manually?)

Take care, and again, thanks.

Ulf Wolf

"Ronx" wrote:

> There are NO FrontPage 2003 extensions - the latest (and probably last) are
> FP2002. Which version of extensions is your host running?
>
> Custom link bars, and Nav Bar styles other than the default theme require
> FP2002 extensions installed and working on the server.
>
> Using FTP to upload folders will kill the FrontPage extensions. The
> extensions will need to be checked, and possibly reinstalled.
>
> --
> Ron Symonds (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
> Reply only to group - emails will be deleted unread.
>

> "Ulf Wolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I use an ISP with Front Page 2003 Extensions enabled.
> >
> > The upload goes fine and does not display any errors. However, while the
> > pages when viewed locally display with the correct style (pixel) for the
> > link
> > bar navigation buttons, once I publish and check the site online, those
> > style
> > elements are no longer there, and only regular text displays.
> >
> > I also noticed that the _derived directory did not upload.
> >
> > If I use FTP instead, and upload the entire site and all sub folders, the
> > link bar displays with the right style. However, if I again open the
> > remote
> > site in FrontPage, the program sets the remote files to their prior state,
> > i.e., without the link bar style.
> >
> > I am mystified.
> >
> > What am I doing wrong?
> >
> > The site was initially created using FrontPage2002, but updated with
> > FrontPage 2003.
> >
> > Any words of wisdom?
> > --
> > Ulf Wolf
> > Wolfstuff

Ronx

      21st Oct 2004
Using anything other than FrontPage to view files in a FrontPage web is
fraught with danger - it is very easy to break the extensions.

Open the online web in FrontPage and use Tools->Recalculate Hyperlinks.
Open the local web and publish using changed pages only. This should clear
the excess files.

--
Ron Symonds (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)

"Ulf Wolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dear Ronx,
>
> Thanks for your spot on answer. There was a conflict between the default
> style and the link bar style, once I corrected that it all uploaded fine
> and
> the link bar displayes in the correct style when opened online.
>
> Only question I have now is why the _derive directory seems to have a
> "hangover" with files from the old, no longer used, style. Shouldn't the
> upload process, or the generation process within FP2003 delete those (I'm
> using pixel now as the default, but used to have eclipse default with
> pixel
> link bar; the _derive directory still has quite a few eclipse .gif files,
> which I don't see any use for now - should I clean them out manually?)
>
> Take care, and again, thanks.
>
> Ulf Wolf
>

> "Ronx" wrote:
>
>> There are NO FrontPage 2003 extensions - the latest (and probably last)
>> are
>> FP2002. Which version of extensions is your host running?
>>
>> Custom link bars, and Nav Bar styles other than the default theme require
>> FP2002 extensions installed and working on the server.
>>
>> Using FTP to upload folders will kill the FrontPage extensions. The
>> extensions will need to be checked, and possibly reinstalled.
>>
>> --
>> Ron Symonds (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
>> Reply only to group - emails will be deleted unread.
>>

>> "Ulf Wolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I use an ISP with Front Page 2003 Extensions enabled.
>> >
>> > The upload goes fine and does not display any errors. However, while
>> > the
>> > pages when viewed locally display with the correct style (pixel) for
>> > the
>> > link
>> > bar navigation buttons, once I publish and check the site online, those
>> > style
>> > elements are no longer there, and only regular text displays.
>> >
>> > I also noticed that the _derived directory did not upload.
>> >
>> > If I use FTP instead, and upload the entire site and all sub folders,
>> > the
>> > link bar displays with the right style. However, if I again open the
>> > remote
>> > site in FrontPage, the program sets the remote files to their prior
>> > state,
>> > i.e., without the link bar style.
>> >
>> > I am mystified.
>> >
>> > What am I doing wrong?
>> >
>> > The site was initially created using FrontPage2002, but updated with
>> > FrontPage 2003.
>> >
>> > Any words of wisdom?
>> > --
>> > Ulf Wolf
>> > Wolfstuff

=?Utf-8?B?VWxmIFdvbGY=?=

      21st Oct 2004
Hi again,

Actually, I'm not really viewing the files, only listing the directories,
both locally and remote.

I did what you suggested, but the "eclipse" residue is still present in the
_derived folder and subfolder. Note that it does any damage, the site works
and looks fine, but it's just curious that the no longer active style still
ahs remnants in the files.

I did a recalculate links on the local site too, and it still contains
eclipse entries in the _derived folder and subfolder even after the
recalculate.

I see what you're saying though, the recalculate should clear them out, but
it doesn't. Perhaps I've got some settings wrong? What do you think?

Bottom line, though, is that the online sites now work fine and look they
way they should -- you've been very helpful.

Take care,

Ulf Wolf

"Ronx" wrote:

> Using anything other than FrontPage to view files in a FrontPage web is
> fraught with danger - it is very easy to break the extensions.
>
> Open the online web in FrontPage and use Tools->Recalculate Hyperlinks.
> Open the local web and publish using changed pages only. This should clear
> the excess files.
>
> --
> Ron Symonds (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
> Reply only to group - emails will be deleted unread.
>

> "Ulf Wolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Dear Ronx,
> >
> > Thanks for your spot on answer. There was a conflict between the default
> > style and the link bar style, once I corrected that it all uploaded fine
> > and
> > the link bar displayes in the correct style when opened online.
> >
> > Only question I have now is why the _derive directory seems to have a
> > "hangover" with files from the old, no longer used, style. Shouldn't the
> > upload process, or the generation process within FP2003 delete those (I'm
> > using pixel now as the default, but used to have eclipse default with
> > pixel
> > link bar; the _derive directory still has quite a few eclipse .gif files,
> > which I don't see any use for now - should I clean them out manually?)
> >
> > Take care, and again, thanks.
> >
> > Ulf Wolf
> >

> > "Ronx" wrote:
> >
> >> There are NO FrontPage 2003 extensions - the latest (and probably last)
> >> are
> >> FP2002. Which version of extensions is your host running?
> >>
> >> Custom link bars, and Nav Bar styles other than the default theme require
> >> FP2002 extensions installed and working on the server.
> >>
> >> Using FTP to upload folders will kill the FrontPage extensions. The
> >> extensions will need to be checked, and possibly reinstalled.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ron Symonds (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
> >> Reply only to group - emails will be deleted unread.
> >>

> >> "Ulf Wolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news(E-Mail Removed)...

Ronx

      21st Oct 2004
Remove the files locally with Windows Explorer, but do not touch the files
in the _vti_cnf folder.
In FrontPage, recalculate Hyperlinks. This will eliminate the files in the
_vti_cnf folder.
When you next publish the site (using changed files only) the corresponding
files in the online web will be deleted.

I have seen this before, it is nothing to do with your settings. In my
case, I eventually deleted the entire site (after a year). If space is not
a consideration, it is safer to leave those extraneous files in place, than
use FTP (or other non-FrontPage application) to remove them.

--
Ron Symonds (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)

"Ulf Wolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi again,
>
> Actually, I'm not really viewing the files, only listing the directories,
> both locally and remote.
>
> I did what you suggested, but the "eclipse" residue is still present in
> the
> _derived folder and subfolder. Note that it does any damage, the site
> works
> and looks fine, but it's just curious that the no longer active style
> still
> ahs remnants in the files.
>
> I did a recalculate links on the local site too, and it still contains
> eclipse entries in the _derived folder and subfolder even after the
> recalculate.
>
> I see what you're saying though, the recalculate should clear them out,
> but
> it doesn't. Perhaps I've got some settings wrong? What do you think?
>
> Bottom line, though, is that the online sites now work fine and look they
> way they should -- you've been very helpful.
>
> Take care,
>
> Ulf Wolf
>
> "Ronx" wrote:
>
>> Using anything other than FrontPage to view files in a FrontPage web is
>> fraught with danger - it is very easy to break the extensions.
>>
>> Open the online web in FrontPage and use Tools->Recalculate Hyperlinks.
>> Open the local web and publish using changed pages only. This should
>> clear
>> the excess files.
>>
>> --
>> Ron Symonds (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
>> Reply only to group - emails will be deleted unread.
>>

>> "Ulf Wolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Dear Ronx,
>> >
>> > Thanks for your spot on answer. There was a conflict between the
>> > default
>> > style and the link bar style, once I corrected that it all uploaded
>> > fine
>> > and
>> > the link bar displayes in the correct style when opened online.
>> >
>> > Only question I have now is why the _derive directory seems to have a
>> > "hangover" with files from the old, no longer used, style. Shouldn't
>> > the
>> > upload process, or the generation process within FP2003 delete those
>> > (I'm
>> > using pixel now as the default, but used to have eclipse default with
>> > pixel
>> > link bar; the _derive directory still has quite a few eclipse .gif
>> > files,
>> > which I don't see any use for now - should I clean them out manually?)
>> >
>> > Take care, and again, thanks.
>> >
>> > Ulf Wolf

=?Utf-8?B?VWxmIFdvbGY=?=

      21st Oct 2004
Hi Ron,

Thanks so much for the advice. Makes a lot of sense.

I really appreciate the quick reponse as well.

Take care,

Ulf Wolf