Upgrading Windows 2000 Upgrade to Vista Home Premium Upgrade

Mike T

      27th Jan 2007
Hi,

My question is simply can i use the *upgrade* edition of Vista Home
Premium when my Windows 2000 professional license is also an upgrade.
I only have the full edition of NT4.

Cheers,
Mike

Carey Frisch [MVP]

      27th Jan 2007
If you install and run the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor,
it will provide information on which editions of Windows
Vista are appropriate and/or recommended for your computer.

Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...r/default.mspx

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Mike T" wrote:

Hi,

My question is simply can i use the *upgrade* edition of Vista Home
Premium when my Windows 2000 professional license is also an upgrade.
I only have the full edition of NT4.

Cheers,
Mike

raymond harrel

      27th Jan 2007
how can you use Windows Vista Upgrade advisor if it doesn't support Windows
xp professional x64 to get it recommended for your computer.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you install and run the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor,
> it will provide information on which editions of Windows
> Vista are appropriate and/or recommended for your computer.
>
> Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...r/default.mspx
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

> "Mike T" wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> My question is simply can i use the *upgrade* edition of Vista Home
> Premium when my Windows 2000 professional license is also an upgrade.
> I only have the full edition of NT4.
>
> Cheers,
> Mike

Mike T

      27th Jan 2007
Thanks Carey for your response. Unfortunately Vista Upgrade Advisor
gives me a message upon installation that it only runs on XP-SP2 and
Vista itself!

I just can't seem to find a clear definitive answer on this.

Many thanks,
Mike

On 27 Jan, 16:31, "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> If you install and run the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor,
> it will provide information on which editions of Windows
> Vista are appropriate and/or recommended for your computer.
>
> Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor:http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...dvisor/default...
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------*-----------
>
> "Mike T" wrote:Hi,
>
> My question is simply can i use the *upgrade* edition of Vista Home
> Premium when my Windows 2000 professional license is also an upgrade.
> I only have the full edition of NT4.
>
> Cheers,
> Mike

dirty old man

      27th Jan 2007
As long as you have Win2K installed, it does not matter if it is from an
upgrade edition. If you have to reinstall Vista you also have to reinstall
Win2k and supply it with the Win2k disk, but as long as Win2k is installed,
it does not matter if it came from and upgrade edition.

To bad you cannot run the Vista Upgrade Advisor though, as it would
give you an idea as to which of your programs and your software
might give you problems.

dom

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

wrote:
> If you install and run the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor,
> it will provide information on which editions of Windows
> Vista are appropriate and/or recommended for your computer.
>
> Windows Vista Upgrade
> Advisor:http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...dvisor/default...
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------*-----------
>
> "Mike T" wrote:Hi,
>
> My question is simply can i use the *upgrade* edition of Vista Home
> Premium when my Windows 2000 professional license is also an upgrade.
> I only have the full edition of NT4.
>
> Cheers,
> Mike

Rock

      28th Jan 2007
"Mike T" wrote

> Hi,
>
> My question is simply can i use the *upgrade* edition of Vista Home
> Premium when my Windows 2000 professional license is also an upgrade.
> I only have the full edition of NT4.

It doesn't matter if the underlying OS is itself an upgrade. To use an
upgrade edition of Vista the qualifying OS, and Windows 2000 is such, must
be installed. The installation is started from the desktop. With Windows
2000 to VHP, the only option will be a custom install.

If you have to reinstall, you'll have to go back to NT, then do the upgrade
to windows 2000 then the upgrade to Vista. To avoid this get a full
version of Vista, or create an image of the installation right after Vista
is installed and store that safe somewhere.

--
Rock [MVP - User/Shell]

Sven

      28th Jan 2007

> My question is simply can i use the *upgrade* edition of Vista Home
> Premium when my Windows 2000 professional license is also an upgrade.
> I only have the full edition of NT4.
>
> Cheers,
> Mike

Recording to Microsoft Denmark you can just install direct on a clean HD
with the Vista Update DVD. Some time along the installation your PC will aks
for a _FULL LICENSE_ cd/dvd, and when this check is over, it will continue
the Vista install. It is the same method used by WindowsXP Upgrade versions.
Don't install any earlier OS first, as it will only make your final
installation bigger. Correct me, if Microsoft Denmark and I are wrong here,
and I will get back to them, so they can look into it again.

Cheers
Sven

Colin Barnhorst

      28th Jan 2007
I'm sorry, but your information is incorrect. Vista Setup will not ask for
a cd to verify that you own an earlier version of Windows. Vista requires
that the legacy OS be installed on the computer. The procedure you refer to
ended with XP.

"Sven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Recording to Microsoft Denmark you can just install direct on a clean HD
> with the Vista Update DVD. Some time along the installation your PC will
> aks for a _FULL LICENSE_ cd/dvd, and when this check is over, it will
> continue the Vista install. It is the same method used by WindowsXP
> Upgrade versions. Don't install any earlier OS first, as it will only make
> your final installation bigger. Correct me, if Microsoft Denmark and I are
> wrong here, and I will get back to them, so they can look into it again.
>
> Cheers
> Sven

Mike T

      28th Jan 2007
On 28 Jan, 03:04, "Sven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Recording to Microsoft Denmark you can just install direct on a clean HD
> with the Vista Update DVD. Some time along the installation your PC will aks
> for a _FULL LICENSE_ cd/dvd, and when this check is over, it will continue
> the Vista install.
> [snipped]

This is similar to windows 2000 in that I can install directly onto a
clean hard disk. During the installation I need to insert my NT4 CD.

I assumed the I would be able to install Vista Upgrade onto a clean
hard disk and at some point insert either my Window 2000 upgrade or
NT4 full edition CD. I was hoping that someone has already followed
this upgrade route.

Anyway thanks to all that have responded

Cheers,
Mike

Mike T

      28th Jan 2007
On 28 Jan, 05:32, "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm sorry, but your information is incorrect. Vista Setup will not ask for
> a cd to verify that you own an earlier version of Windows. Vista requires
> that the legacy OS be installed on the computer. The procedure you refer to
> ended with XP.

Aha. A couple other people alluded to this within the thread. I now
understand

Thanks,
Mike