Upgrading older VB programs (sans Project Files) to VB.NET

GS

      15th Jan 2012
Tom Shelton submitted this idea :
> GS explained :
>> Tom Shelton explained on 1/15/2012 :
>>> GS used his keyboard to write :

>>> And you can use them in .NET as well... COM IS part of .NET.

>> Not according to the manufacturer[s]. They recommend upgrading to their
>> .net versions. Has something to do with Windows Forms. If you can point me
>> to some info regarding using ActiveX components (in my case .OCXs) I'd
>> appreciate that very much.

> I've used AX components before... Simply add them to your toolbox - on the
> COM tab, and drag and drop them on the form. So, either the manufacturer[s]
> have done something really stupid (can't think what, because I haven't found
> one that didn't work - though, you might need to change your compile target
> to x86) or they are lying.

I'm thinking they just want to sell more product. I'll certainly try
your suggestion in C#. Big thanks...

--
Garry

Tom Shelton

      16th Jan 2012
GS formulated on Sunday :
> Tom Shelton submitted this idea :
>> GS explained :
>>> Tom Shelton explained on 1/15/2012 :

>>> Not according to the manufacturer[s]. They recommend upgrading to
>>> their .net versions. Has something to do with Windows Forms. If
>>> you can point me to some info regarding using ActiveX components
>>> (in my case .OCXs) I'd appreciate that very much.

>> I've used AX components before... Simply add them to your toolbox
>> - on the COM tab, and drag and drop them on the form. So, either
>> the manufacturer[s] have done something really stupid (can't think
>> what, because I haven't found one that didn't work - though, you
>> might need to change your compile target to x86) or they are lying.

> I'm thinking they just want to sell more product. I'll certainly try
> your suggestion in C#. Big thanks...

Well, my guess is that they will work - but, I probably shouldn't have
been so terse in my response. There is always a possiblity that a
particular that something might go wrong in a new environment

--
Tom Shelton

Tom Shelton

      16th Jan 2012
Tom Shelton has brought this to us :
> GS formulated on Sunday :
>> Tom Shelton submitted this idea :
>>> GS explained :

>>> I've used AX components before... Simply add them to your toolbox
>>> - on the COM tab, and drag and drop them on the form. So, either
>>> the manufacturer[s] have done something really stupid (can't think
>>> what, because I haven't found one that didn't work - though, you
>>> might need to change your compile target to x86) or they are
>>> lying.

>> I'm thinking they just want to sell more product. I'll certainly
>> try your suggestion in C#. Big thanks...

> Well, my guess is that they will work - but, I probably shouldn't
> have been so terse in my response. There is always a possiblity that
> a particular that something might go wrong in a new environment

Wow... mangled that I was trying to say there is always a
possiblility of failure in a new envrionment - but, I must have been
thinking two sentences at a time....

--
Tom Shelton

GS

      16th Jan 2012
Ok, I tried this and it's definitely a no-go. Not saying it's still not
doable, but rather a quick check didn't work for each of 3 components.
Looks like the C# environment doesn't like them, though. I'll try C++
when I get time...

--
Garry

Tony Toews

      20th Jan 2012
On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 20:58:12 -0500, "Mayayana"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Tablets never made much sense in the first place,

I very much like my Kobo Vox 7" tablet. But then all I really do on
it is read eBooks and browse the web. I don't do much else with it.
I certainly don't type more than a sentence on it while in Facebook.

>so it's hard to know how that will work out. No
>matter how you look at it, people are not going to
>be writing docs and spreadsheets on a swipe screen.

Agreed. Although maybe with an external keyboard I can see some folks
using it to do some light work.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP