Upgrading a hard drive with a Windows XP OEM install

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9u?=

      30th Nov 2004
i just purchased a PC with an OEM version of XP Home (a new experience - the
OEM aspect). It has a 40 Gb hd and I wish to install a 200 Gb hd. It
appears I'm stuck with the smaller drive unless I wish to use the larger
(higher performance) drive as a second disk only. By reading through the
newsgroup postings it appears this is not (unfortunately) a unique
experience. The postings indicate there is no upgrade/crash recovery option
other than purchasing a separate retail version of one's OS of choice. A
legitimate product key isn't much help without an installation cd - Microsoft
has accepted my product registration via the internet but I don't know that I
have any good options to implement the upgrade. I have XP Home/Recovery cd's
for an hp laptop I purchased - but I doubt the code will work even though
they're both OEM installs. I have other options but would appreciate some
input before I pursue any particular course of action.
--
JW

Ted Zieglar

      30th Nov 2004
Norton Ghost 9.0
http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/

Acronis True Image 8.0
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...cts/trueimage/

Ted Zieglar

"Jon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>i just purchased a PC with an OEM version of XP Home (a new experience -
>the
> OEM aspect). It has a 40 Gb hd and I wish to install a 200 Gb hd. It
> appears I'm stuck with the smaller drive unless I wish to use the larger
> (higher performance) drive as a second disk only. By reading through the
> newsgroup postings it appears this is not (unfortunately) a unique
> experience. The postings indicate there is no upgrade/crash recovery
> option
> other than purchasing a separate retail version of one's OS of choice. A
> legitimate product key isn't much help without an installation cd -
> Microsoft
> has accepted my product registration via the internet but I don't know
> that I
> have any good options to implement the upgrade. I have XP Home/Recovery
> cd's
> for an hp laptop I purchased - but I doubt the code will work even though
> they're both OEM installs. I have other options but would appreciate some
> input before I pursue any particular course of action.
> --
> JW

Michael Stevens

      30th Nov 2004
Jon wrote:
> i just purchased a PC with an OEM version of XP Home (a new
> experience - the OEM aspect). It has a 40 Gb hd and I wish to
> install a 200 Gb hd. It appears I'm stuck with the smaller drive
> unless I wish to use the larger (higher performance) drive as a
> second disk only. By reading through the newsgroup postings it
> appears this is not (unfortunately) a unique experience. The
> postings indicate there is no upgrade/crash recovery option other
> than purchasing a separate retail version of one's OS of choice. A
> legitimate product key isn't much help without an installation cd -
> Microsoft has accepted my product registration via the internet but I
> don't know that I have any good options to implement the upgrade. I
> have XP Home/Recovery cd's for an hp laptop I purchased - but I doubt
> the code will work even though they're both OEM installs. I have
> other options but would appreciate some input before I pursue any
> particular course of action.

Click on or copy and paste the link below into your web browser address bar.
BootIT NG from Terabyte
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/
Image for Windows and DOS
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/imagew.html
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downloads/image.zip
Drive Image from Power Quest
http://www.powerquest.com/
Symantec Ghost.
http://www.symantec.com/servsupp.html
Maxblast II Plus
http://tinyurl.com/275m
Western Digital
http://support.wdc.com/download/#dlgtools
Casper XP
http://www.fssdev.com/
--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
(E-Mail Removed)

      30th Nov 2004
everyone buys the OS disks from the OEM manuf for about $20, Comaq, HP, IBM,
eMachine or Dell

"Jon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> i just purchased a PC with an OEM version of XP Home (a new experience -

the
> OEM aspect). It has a 40 Gb hd and I wish to install a 200 Gb hd. It
> appears I'm stuck with the smaller drive unless I wish to use the larger
> (higher performance) drive as a second disk only. By reading through the
> newsgroup postings it appears this is not (unfortunately) a unique
> experience. The postings indicate there is no upgrade/crash recovery

option
> other than purchasing a separate retail version of one's OS of choice. A
> legitimate product key isn't much help without an installation cd -

Microsoft
> has accepted my product registration via the internet but I don't know

that I
> have any good options to implement the upgrade. I have XP Home/Recovery

cd's
> for an hp laptop I purchased - but I doubt the code will work even though
> they're both OEM installs. I have other options but would appreciate some
> input before I pursue any particular course of action.
> --
> JW

Ted Zieglar

      30th Nov 2004
"everyone buys the OS disks from the OEM manuf for about $20, Comaq, HP,
IBM,
eMachine or Dell"

No kidding? Kindly post a URL for Dell so I can purchase their OEM Windows
XP for about $20.
--
Ted Zieglar

<CajunClickers @ hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> everyone buys the OS disks from the OEM manuf for about $20, Comaq, HP,

IBM,
> eMachine or Dell
>
> "Jon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > i just purchased a PC with an OEM version of XP Home (a new experience -

> the
> > OEM aspect). It has a 40 Gb hd and I wish to install a 200 Gb hd. It
> > appears I'm stuck with the smaller drive unless I wish to use the larger
> > (higher performance) drive as a second disk only. By reading through

the
> > newsgroup postings it appears this is not (unfortunately) a unique
> > experience. The postings indicate there is no upgrade/crash recovery

> option
> > other than purchasing a separate retail version of one's OS of choice.

> > legitimate product key isn't much help without an installation cd -

> Microsoft
> > has accepted my product registration via the internet but I don't know

> that I
> > have any good options to implement the upgrade. I have XP Home/Recovery

> cd's
> > for an hp laptop I purchased - but I doubt the code will work even

though
> > they're both OEM installs. I have other options but would appreciate

some
> > input before I pursue any particular course of action.
> > --
> > JW

Martin

      30th Nov 2004
Ted Zieglar wrote:
> "everyone buys the OS disks from the OEM manuf for about $20, Comaq, HP,
> IBM,
> eMachine or Dell"
>
> No kidding? Kindly post a URL for Dell so I can purchase their OEM Windows
> XP for about $20.

E-bay is your best bet
--
Best Wishes from Martin

So many questions, so few answers.

Ted Zieglar

      30th Nov 2004
You said "from the OEM manuf".

--
Ted Zieglar

"Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uB$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ted Zieglar wrote:
> > "everyone buys the OS disks from the OEM manuf for about $20, Comaq, HP,
> > IBM,
> > eMachine or Dell"
> >
> > No kidding? Kindly post a URL for Dell so I can purchase their OEM

Windows
> > XP for about $20.

> E-bay is your best bet
> --
> Best Wishes from Martin
>
> So many questions, so few answers.

Bruce Chambers

      1st Dec 2004
Martin wrote:

> E-bay is your best bet

How about a *legitimate* source?

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Jim Macklin

      1st Dec 2004
www.newegg.com

"Bruce Chambers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| Martin wrote:
|

| > E-bay is your best bet
|
| How about a *legitimate* source?
|
| --
|
| Bruce Chambers
|
| Help us help you:
| http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
|
| You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever
count on having
| both at once. - RAH

« Email | freezing up »