Upgrade to XP

Donna

      21st Mar 2004
I have purchased a window xp upgrade, only to find I can't
upgrade from 2000, after asking for an upgrade from 2000
to xp at the store.
Is there a downloadable windows millennium on the web site?

Dave Patrick

      21st Mar 2004
1.) Return it for Windows XP Pro or use your win98 install media as the
qualifier.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/h...ing/matrix.asp

2.) No

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Donna" wrote:
| I have purchased a window xp upgrade, only to find I can't
| upgrade from 2000, after asking for an upgrade from 2000
| to xp at the store.
| Is there a downloadable windows millennium on the web site?

Scott Ray [gob-gook]

      21st Mar 2004
Could you be a little more specific? Why (error messages, etc) aren't you
being allowed to upgrade from 2k to XP? I suppose there is a possibility of
a hardware compatibility issue, but doubtful, since XP is very much a
"prettier" version of 2000. Much of the HCL is the same. Avoid WinME like
the plague!!! Illustration:

They took the base code from Win95 and created this channel of operating
system generally for the "home user", which means it's not nearly as stable:
Win95 --> Win95b --> Win98 --> Win98SE --> WinME

The "office user" variation of the channel looks like this:

WinNT --> Win2000 --> WinXP Pro & Home (at which point they scrapped all
further work on ME, since this channel has the better stability and offers
more in the way of advancement.)

ME is the last great bastion of hope in the attempt to salvage all the
blue-screen buggies in 98. If you can't get the XP to take, stick with 2000
But if you provide more detail on the problems you're having with the
upgrade, I'm sure there's a solution!

Scott

"Donna" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:10afd01c40ef0$ecc85b70$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have purchased a window xp upgrade, only to find I can't
> upgrade from 2000, after asking for an upgrade from 2000
> to xp at the store.
> Is there a downloadable windows millennium on the web site?

Michael

      25th Mar 2004
You can't upgrade from Windows ME to XP, but you can from
Windows 98. Use your Windows 98 disk to allow the upgrade
to be done.

"Donna" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:10afd01c40ef0$ecc85b70$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have purchased a window xp upgrade, only to find I

can't
> upgrade from 2000, after asking for an upgrade from 2000
> to xp at the store.
> Is there a downloadable windows millennium on the web

site?

=?Utf-8?B?Y3JpcA==?=

      2nd Jun 2004
well is there a way to upgrade windowxp from 2000