How To Update Enhanced USB Drivers WITHOUT Freezing/Locking Up Sys

IU-Dylan

      31st Aug 2010
Hello:

I have been encountering this annoying problem and I would appreciate
anyone's help in working around it. I have been building and updating
several systems, including updating system bios, chipsets, etc. Whenever I
update an enhanced USB controller driver (as part of an Intel-based chipset),
if the system is using a USB-based keyboard or USB-based mouse, those
specific devices freeze up/stop running. Unless the system is using a
PS-2-based keyboard or a PS-2-based mouse, I have to do a "hard" shutdown, to
restart the system and get the newer enhanced USB drivers installed. Of
course, I hate doing this and wince every time I do the "hard" shutdown. So
far, I have been lucky and the systems have always come back up, with the new
enhanced USB drivers installed. However, I would love to know how I could
update the enhanced USB drivers, without having to perform a "hard" shutdown
of the system. Moreover, most of these systems do not have a PS-2 port;
therefore, using an older, PS-2-based mouse or a PS-2-based keyboard is not
an option, unfortunately. What is the proper procedure for updating the
enhanced USB drivers, via the Intel “Have Disk” method, whereby, I can get
around the USB-based keyboard and USB-based mouse freeze up issue? Any
information would be wonderful.

Thank you.

MowGreen

      31st Aug 2010
IU-Dylan wrote:
> Moreover, most of these systems do not have a PS-2 port;
> therefore, using an older, PS-2-based mouse or a PS-2-based keyboard is not
> an option, unfortunately.

Get an adapter that converts older PS-2 based mouse/keyboards so that
they can be plugged into USB ports -

http://www.google.com/search?q=PS-2+...rchBox&ie=&oe=

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

IU-Dylan

      1st Sep 2010
Hello, MowGreen:

Thank you for writing. If I understand you, correctly, I do not understand
how this would help me, as the installation of the newer drivers would still
disable the USB ports, rendering my "adapted" keyboard and mouse disabled.
Am I missing your point? Thanks.

"MowGreen" wrote:

> IU-Dylan wrote:
> > Moreover, most of these systems do not have a PS-2 port;
> > therefore, using an older, PS-2-based mouse or a PS-2-based keyboard is not
> > an option, unfortunately.

> Get an adapter that converts older PS-2 based mouse/keyboards so that
> they can be plugged into USB ports -
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=PS-2+...rchBox&ie=&oe=
>

> MowGreen
> ================
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ================
>
> "Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked
> .

Mark Adams

      1st Sep 2010

"IU-Dylan" wrote:

> Hello, MowGreen:
>
> Thank you for writing. If I understand you, correctly, I do not understand
> how this would help me, as the installation of the newer drivers would still
> disable the USB ports, rendering my "adapted" keyboard and mouse disabled.
> Am I missing your point? Thanks.

Go to Control Panel, Power Options. Open the "Advanced" tab. In the Power
Buttons pane, select Shut Down from the drop down menu. Click Apply, then
exit. Now when your USB mouse and keyboards freeze, simply press the power
button once (do not hold it in) Windows will then perform a normal shutdown.
Restart, and you're back in business. This is very convenient if you ever
want to shut your computer down without turning the monitor back on, just
press the button and walk away.

> "MowGreen" wrote:
>
> > IU-Dylan wrote:
> > > Moreover, most of these systems do not have a PS-2 port;
> > > therefore, using an older, PS-2-based mouse or a PS-2-based keyboard is not
> > > an option, unfortunately.

> > Get an adapter that converts older PS-2 based mouse/keyboards so that
> > they can be plugged into USB ports -
> >
> > http://www.google.com/search?q=PS-2+...rchBox&ie=&oe=
> >

> > MowGreen
> > ================
> > *-343-* FDNY
> > Never Forgotten
> > ================
> >
> > "Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked
> > .

MowGreen

      1st Sep 2010
Mark Adams wrote:

> "IU-Dylan" wrote:
>
>> > Hello, MowGreen:
>> >
>> > Thank you for writing. If I understand you, correctly, I do not understand
>> > how this would help me, as the installation of the newer drivers would still
>> > disable the USB ports, rendering my "adapted" keyboard and mouse disabled.
>> > Am I missing your point? Thanks.

Forget what I recommended previously. It was *dumb*.
Mark's advice for configuring Power Options appears to be sufficient for
avoiding hard shutdowns.

You previously stated

" Whenever I update an enhanced USB controller driver (as part of an
Intel-based chipset), if the system is using a USB-based keyboard or
USB-based mouse, those specific devices freeze up/stop running. Unless
the system is using a PS-2-based keyboard or a PS-2-based mouse, I have
to do a "hard" shutdown, to restart the system and get the newer
enhanced USB drivers installed. "

I fail to see where the ports themselves have become disabled, it's the
*driver* replacement that is causing the device lock up issue.

Which file format are the enhanced USB drivers ... are they .exe or
..msi ? If they're .exe, have you tried booting to Safe Mode and updating
the drivers from there ?
If they're .msi, see:

SafeMSI.exe – Start Windows Installer Service in Safe Mode
http://www.technibble.com/safemsi-ex...-in-safe-mode/

And, if the drivers are not digitally signed, which could be another
factor in the lock-up issue, you can change XP's driver signing option
to see if that resolves the issue.

See - Investigating Windows XP's Drivers settings
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...1-6042127.html

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

Cheng Heng

      1st Sep 2010

MowGreen wrote:

> Forget what I recommended previously. It was *dumb*.

Have you ever recommended anything that is sane Troll? You keep
telling people to shut off their firewalls, shut off anti-spyware,
shut off anti-visuses and then go online to get updates! Now this
can't be sane thing to suggest. Only a nutter would suggest such
things.

Paul

      1st Sep 2010
IU-Dylan wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I have been encountering this annoying problem and I would appreciate
> anyone's help in working around it. I have been building and updating
> several systems, including updating system bios, chipsets, etc. Whenever I
> update an enhanced USB controller driver (as part of an Intel-based chipset),
> if the system is using a USB-based keyboard or USB-based mouse, those
> specific devices freeze up/stop running. Unless the system is using a
> PS-2-based keyboard or a PS-2-based mouse, I have to do a "hard" shutdown, to
> restart the system and get the newer enhanced USB drivers installed. Of
> course, I hate doing this and wince every time I do the "hard" shutdown. So
> far, I have been lucky and the systems have always come back up, with the new
> enhanced USB drivers installed. However, I would love to know how I could
> update the enhanced USB drivers, without having to perform a "hard" shutdown
> of the system. Moreover, most of these systems do not have a PS-2 port;
> therefore, using an older, PS-2-based mouse or a PS-2-based keyboard is not
> an option, unfortunately. What is the proper procedure for updating the
> enhanced USB drivers, via the Intel “Have Disk” method, whereby, I can get
> around the USB-based keyboard and USB-based mouse freeze up issue? Any
> information would be wonderful.
>
> Thank you.

On my machine, there is a log file created by the Intel INFINST installer.
My log comes from running the Intel package, from the motherboard installer CD.

C:\Intel\Logs\IntelChipset.log

Installed Package = F:\Drivers\Chipset\INF\All\g33q35.inf
Package Requires Reboot = no

Installed Package = F:\Drivers\Chipset\INF\All\ich9core.inf
Package Requires Reboot = no

Installed Package = F:\Drivers\Chipset\INF\All\ich9ide.inf
Package Requires Reboot = no

Installed Package = F:\Drivers\Chipset\INF\All\ich9smb.inf
Package Requires Reboot = no

Installed Package = F:\Drivers\Chipset\INF\All\ich9usb.inf
Package Requires Reboot = no

The ICH9USB.INF file isn't much of an installer at all. It has the lines:

Include=usbport.inf
Needs=UHCI.Dev.NT

and uses the built-in WinXP USB2 drivers that have been there since initial
launch in WinXP SP1. The USBPORT.INF file is responsible for installing the standard
Microsoft driver files. This is what my USB2 Enhanced entry uses.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\usbehci.sys
usbhub.sys
usbport.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hccoin.dll
usbui.dll

The only thing the Intel file contributes, is an identity string for Device Manager.

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_293A.DeviceDesc="Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 293A"

Now, I just tried a test here. I right-clicked on the Intel ICH9USB.INF
file, and nothing froze and nothing of significance happened. The Microsoft
USBPORT.INF file does have lines like this, so you'd think it would be
making some changes by copying and deleting files.

AddReg=EHCI.AddReg.NT
CopyFiles=EHCI.CopyFiles.NT,USBUI.CopyFiles.NT,USB.CopyFiles.NT,HCCOIN.CopyFiles.NT
DelFiles=USB.DelFiles.NT

But for me at least, I didn't see a freeze. My USB mouse still works.

Maybe you could run a second script in the background, running a polling loop
using "devcon" program ? Perhaps that would discover any new hardware and
reinstall mouse/keyboard HID drivers so your input devices would work ?
Perhaps write a short script that waits five minutes and then does
a "rescan" ?

http://www.robvanderwoude.com/devcon.php

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;Q311272

Paul

Paul

      1st Sep 2010
Paul wrote:
> [...]

> Host Controller - 293A"
>
> Now, I just tried a test here. I right-clicked on the Intel ICH9USB.INF
> file, and nothing froze and nothing of significance happened. The Microsoft
> USBPORT.INF file does have lines like this, so you'd think it would be
> making some changes by copying and deleting files.
>
> AddReg=EHCI.AddReg.NT
>
> CopyFiles=EHCI.CopyFiles.NT,USBUI.CopyFiles.NT,USB.CopyFiles.NT,HCCOIN.CopyFiles.NT
>
> DelFiles=USB.DelFiles.NT
>
> But for me at least, I didn't see a freeze. My USB mouse still works.
>
> Maybe you could run a second script in the background, running a polling
> loop
> using "devcon" program ? Perhaps that would discover any new hardware and
> reinstall mouse/keyboard HID drivers so your input devices would work ?
> Perhaps write a short script that waits five minutes and then does

I also tried "update driver" on DEV 2936 using Device Manager and the
Update Driver button.

(I figured out which USB 1.1 interface my mouse was on, by using
UVCView.x86.exe , so I know exactly which logic block to try to update,
to upset the USB mouse.)

I got the alert sound of a USB device being disconnected, followed about
five seconds later, by the device being connected again. My mouse still
works and there is no freeze.

Paul