PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread

Update: boot problem/load problem--imporved but not solved

 
 
Ken K
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      6th Jun 2004
(problem in thread posted earlier today but dated 8/4/04 by mistake)

I developed a problem with being unable to initiate loading of the Win2K
operating system earlier today. I was helped by Pegasus, who asked me
to test whether I could load the OS with a floppy that contained my
boot.ini (from my hdd), ntldr, and ntdetect.com (both copied from my
Win2000 disk) . It worked. I tried copying those files back to my hard
drive c:\ drive but I still require the floppy to be present in order
for the loading to take place. If it is not there, I hang right after
the PCI assignements are displayed during boot.

Does anyone have any ideas where I can go from here to be able to load
from the hard drive without having to have the floppy in place? Are
there any BIOS settings that may have been tweaked that I should check?
(ASUS P4PE mb)

Thanks
Ken K

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dave Patrick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      6th Jun 2004
You can boot the recovery console and from a command prompt issue the
command;
fixboot
to replace the bootsector. To start the Recovery Console, start the computer
from the Windows 2000 Setup CD or the Windows 2000 Setup floppy disks. If
you do not have Setup floppy disks and your computer cannot start from the
Windows 2000 Setup CD, use another Windows 2000-based computer to create the
Setup floppy disks. Press ENTER at the "Setup Notification" screen. Press R
to repair a Windows 2000 installation, and then press C to use the Recovery
Console. The Recovery Console then prompts you for the administrator
password. If you do not have the correct password, Recovery Console does
not allow access to the computer. If an incorrect password is entered three
times, the Recovery Console quits and restarts the computer. Once the
password has been validated, you have full access to the Recovery Console,
but limited access to the hard disk. You can only access the following
folders on your computer: %systemroot% and %windir%

Cross-post when necessary, but never multi-post. Cross-posting is when you
include two or more groups in the "Newsgroups:" section. In this scenario
the message and all responses are seen in all groups that the message was
cross-posted to. In other words any replies will automatically propagate to
the other newsgroup posts.

Multi-posting is when you post the same message to two or more groups
individually. In this scenario the message is seen in the groups it is
posted to, but the responses are only seen attached to the message (unless
you cross-post the reply) in which the response was made. So those that
frequent these groups then need to deal with or re-read the posts. It may
seem like a small thing to keep track of. But some of us actively traverse
50 or more groups. The poster also then must search out all of the posts to
see if there was a response.

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect


"Ken K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:u2$(E-Mail Removed)...
| (problem in thread posted earlier today but dated 8/4/04 by mistake)
|
| I developed a problem with being unable to initiate loading of the Win2K
| operating system earlier today. I was helped by Pegasus, who asked me
| to test whether I could load the OS with a floppy that contained my
| boot.ini (from my hdd), ntldr, and ntdetect.com (both copied from my
| Win2000 disk) . It worked. I tried copying those files back to my hard
| drive c:\ drive but I still require the floppy to be present in order
| for the loading to take place. If it is not there, I hang right after
| the PCI assignements are displayed during boot.
|
| Does anyone have any ideas where I can go from here to be able to load
| from the hard drive without having to have the floppy in place? Are
| there any BIOS settings that may have been tweaked that I should check?
| (ASUS P4PE mb)
|
| Thanks
| Ken K
|


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ken K
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      6th Jun 2004
1, apologies for the multiple posts. I am not sure which forum received
more attention. I am also not sure how I can cross-post with Netscape
7.1---any ideas how to do it?

2, I had tried using fixboot yesterday but to no avail. I repeated
again today, but no luck. I can still boot only with the floppy in
place. Is there a BIOS setting that might have been tweaked? On POST,
I can see that the hdd is identified correctly as the primary. Somehow
I am wondering if the c: drive is just not being seen by the computer
until directed there by the floppy files...

3. I had planned on an upgrade to WinXP early next week or so. Any
chance that might fix the problem or should I wait until there is a fix
for this?

4. I would not mind doing a fresh install of Win2K if I could have all
of my setting preserved. If someone can tell me how to do that, I am
all ears.

Thanks
Ken K

Dave Patrick wrote:

>You can boot the recovery console and from a command prompt issue the
>command;
>fixboot
>to replace the bootsector. To start the Recovery Console, start the computer
>from the Windows 2000 Setup CD or the Windows 2000 Setup floppy disks. If
>you do not have Setup floppy disks and your computer cannot start from the
>Windows 2000 Setup CD, use another Windows 2000-based computer to create the
>Setup floppy disks. Press ENTER at the "Setup Notification" screen. Press R
>to repair a Windows 2000 installation, and then press C to use the Recovery
>Console. The Recovery Console then prompts you for the administrator
>password. If you do not have the correct password, Recovery Console does
>not allow access to the computer. If an incorrect password is entered three
>times, the Recovery Console quits and restarts the computer. Once the
>password has been validated, you have full access to the Recovery Console,
>but limited access to the hard disk. You can only access the following
>folders on your computer: %systemroot% and %windir%
>
>Cross-post when necessary, but never multi-post. Cross-posting is when you
>include two or more groups in the "Newsgroups:" section. In this scenario
>the message and all responses are seen in all groups that the message was
>cross-posted to. In other words any replies will automatically propagate to
>the other newsgroup posts.
>
>Multi-posting is when you post the same message to two or more groups
>individually. In this scenario the message is seen in the groups it is
>posted to, but the responses are only seen attached to the message (unless
>you cross-post the reply) in which the response was made. So those that
>frequent these groups then need to deal with or re-read the posts. It may
>seem like a small thing to keep track of. But some of us actively traverse
>50 or more groups. The poster also then must search out all of the posts to
>see if there was a response.
>
>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Patrick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      7th Jun 2004
I don't know the details here. Might it be the primary active partition was
removed?

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect


"Ken K" wrote:
| 1, apologies for the multiple posts. I am not sure which forum received
| more attention. I am also not sure how I can cross-post with Netscape
| 7.1---any ideas how to do it?
|
| 2, I had tried using fixboot yesterday but to no avail. I repeated
| again today, but no luck. I can still boot only with the floppy in
| place. Is there a BIOS setting that might have been tweaked? On POST,
| I can see that the hdd is identified correctly as the primary. Somehow
| I am wondering if the c: drive is just not being seen by the computer
| until directed there by the floppy files...
|
| 3. I had planned on an upgrade to WinXP early next week or so. Any
| chance that might fix the problem or should I wait until there is a fix
| for this?
|
| 4. I would not mind doing a fresh install of Win2K if I could have all
| of my setting preserved. If someone can tell me how to do that, I am
| all ears.
|
| Thanks
| Ken K


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ken K
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      7th Jun 2004
Dave, tell me how I check to see if the primary active partition was
removed. The partitions are all the same, at least I think they are, as
they were before: c:, d: and e: drive. I recall from fdisk'ing DOS
drives in the past that one can set a partition as being active, but I
don't know how to check that in Win2000.

Let me know how I can check that and I will do so.

Thanks
Ken

Dave Patrick wrote:

>I don't know the details here. Might it be the primary active partition was
>removed?
>
>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ken K
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      7th Jun 2004
OK, I right-clicked on the c: drive, which is listed as system, and the
option to set this to active is grayed out, which, I presume, means that
it is the active drive, or is that not correct?

Thanks

Dave Patrick wrote:

>I don't know the details here. Might it be the primary active partition was
>removed?
>
>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Patrick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      7th Jun 2004
Boot with a win98 startup disk, run fdisk to check or set the correct
partition as active.

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect


"Ken K" wrote:
| OK, I right-clicked on the c: drive, which is listed as system, and the
| option to set this to active is grayed out, which, I presume, means that
| it is the active drive, or is that not correct?
|
| Thanks


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ken K
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      7th Jun 2004
OK, I created a Win98 startup disk on my daugther's computer and found
that the C: drive is set as active. I set it again, closed out, tried
to reboot, and no luck. I can only reboot with the floppy in place.

Shall I consider a reinstall inplace? I am beginning to understand that
there may be irreparable damage to the boot sector. Would a reinstall
solve that problem?

Thanks
KK

Dave Patrick wrote:

>Boot with a win98 startup disk, run fdisk to check or set the correct
>partition as active.
>
>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Patrick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      8th Jun 2004
Try the recovery console again and from a command prompt issue the command;
fixboot C:
and possibly
fixmbr

Be sure to read these ones first.
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;266745
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=166454

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect


"Ken K" wrote:
| OK, I created a Win98 startup disk on my daugther's computer and found
| that the C: drive is set as active. I set it again, closed out, tried
| to reboot, and no luck. I can only reboot with the floppy in place.
|
| Shall I consider a reinstall inplace? I am beginning to understand that
| there may be irreparable damage to the boot sector. Would a reinstall
| solve that problem?
|
| Thanks
| KK


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ken K
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      8th Jun 2004
Dave Patrick wrote:

>Try the recovery console again and from a command prompt issue the command;
>fixboot C:
>and possibly
>fixmbr
>
>Be sure to read these ones first.
>http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;266745
>http://support.microsoft.com/?id=166454
>

Tried it but no luck.

Other options?

Thanks
KK

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to fix boot record. Boot Part'n is NTFS, but is shown as FAT32 in Boot Record gerry.bullock@gmail.com Windows XP General 1 31st May 2006 11:54 AM
XP Pro SP2 wont warm boot - finally solved! Monkey Hanger Windows XP General 1 9th Jan 2006 09:02 PM
Dual Boot Config with new CPU won't boot with XP SP2 but will boot wth Win98 SE Jack Bauer Windows XP Help 2 20th Nov 2005 03:03 PM
No boot : 9 beeps error SOLVED Nick Monyatovsky DIY PC 7 16th Sep 2005 03:41 AM
IE problum still not solved but maybe? HELP?? Fancee Windows XP Internet Explorer 1 10th Oct 2003 03:20 PM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:25 AM.