Upcoming Windows 7

Octavio

      2nd Sep 2009
When the new Windows 7 is expected to be on the retail stores for sale? Any
idea of the retail prices?

Will the Office Professional 2007 programs work well with it (I bet it will,
since they are from the same company. Any anticipated problems? Slowness
in old computers?)

JoAnn Paules

      2nd Sep 2009
The first part of you question may be answered by searching Microsoft's
website. Please note I said *may* and not *will*. All we can do is
speculate.

Second part: Almost certainly. As for anticipated problems, almost
certainly.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Octavio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> When the new Windows 7 is expected to be on the retail stores for sale?
> Any
> idea of the retail prices?
>
> Will the Office Professional 2007 programs work well with it (I bet it
> will,
> since they are from the same company. Any anticipated problems?
> Slowness
> in old computers?)

Gordon

      2nd Sep 2009

"Octavio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Will the Office Professional 2007 programs work well with it (I bet it
> will,
> since they are from the same company. Any anticipated problems?
> Slowness
> in old computers?)

No problems here so far - running on a Toshiba L40 Satellite with 2GB RAM
and dual core 1.6 GHz processor...

Jay Freedman

      2nd Sep 2009
Octavio wrote:
> When the new Windows 7 is expected to be on the retail stores for
> sale? Any idea of the retail prices?

A simple Google search for "windows 7 release date" gets the official answer
at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ome?os=nonwin7 --
"Windows 7 will be available on October 22." That's the retail release date;
people with MSDN or TechNet subscriptions can download it now.

A link on that page leads to
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...mpare-editions that
shows estimated retail prices for three editions. Amazon.com shows the same
prices at
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?ur...dows+7&x=0&y=0
although you may find other prices elsewhere.

> Will the Office Professional 2007 programs work well with it (I bet
> it will, since they are from the same company. Any anticipated
> problems? Slowness in old computers?)

In my experience, both Office 2007 and Office 2003 work perfectly well on
Windows 7, on both a 2-year-old desktop and a 4-year-old laptop. In fact, I
think they work better on Windows 7 than they did on Windows Vista. But if
your computer is old enough and slow enough, or has too little RAM, no
version of Windows or Office is going to be satisfactory.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Daddy

      2nd Sep 2009
For whatever it's worth: I have been using the 2007 versions of Word, Excel
and Outlook on the Windows 7 Release Candidate without problems.

Daddy

"Octavio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> When the new Windows 7 is expected to be on the retail stores for sale?
> Any
> idea of the retail prices?
>
> Will the Office Professional 2007 programs work well with it (I bet it
> will,
> since they are from the same company. Any anticipated problems?
> Slowness
> in old computers?)

Herb Tyson [MVP]

      3rd Sep 2009
I agree. I'm running Office 2007 in the RTM version of Windows 7, and it
runs with fewer problems than it did under Vista--I haven't done speed
tests, but it seems like it's faster under Windows 7, as well.

--

Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Jay Freedman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> In my experience, both Office 2007 and Office 2003 work perfectly well on
> Windows 7, on both a 2-year-old desktop and a 4-year-old laptop. In fact,
> I think they work better on Windows 7 than they did on Windows Vista. But
> if your computer is old enough and slow enough, or has too little RAM, no
> version of Windows or Office is going to be satisfactory.

jaws

      7th Sep 2009
Does Windows7 ALLOW you to use a default mail other than WindowsMail, as
Vista forces? Still trying to believe not only did Vista force this, but
gave no other options, and no work-arounds for it. As someone who's has had
more than one computer crash, WHY would I want my mail to download on my
computer, take up precious hard-drive space, AND be lost if computer were
lost/stolen/broken????? ... I would love to meet the brilliant mind that
came up with that ... and the brilliant one that decided customers would want
no other options ... gotta love a mind-reader.

"Octavio" wrote:

> When the new Windows 7 is expected to be on the retail stores for sale? Any
> idea of the retail prices?
>
> Will the Office Professional 2007 programs work well with it (I bet it will,
> since they are from the same company. Any anticipated problems? Slowness
> in old computers?)

Jay Freedman

      7th Sep 2009
As Terry Farrell replied to your other spew in this newsgroup,
"Rubbish." Neither Vista nor Windows 7 forces the default mail client
to anything.

On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 14:55:01 -0700, jaws
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Does Windows7 ALLOW you to use a default mail other than WindowsMail, as
>Vista forces? Still trying to believe not only did Vista force this, but
>gave no other options, and no work-arounds for it. As someone who's has had
>more than one computer crash, WHY would I want my mail to download on my
>computer, take up precious hard-drive space, AND be lost if computer were
>lost/stolen/broken????? ... I would love to meet the brilliant mind that
>came up with that ... and the brilliant one that decided customers would want
>no other options ... gotta love a mind-reader.
>
>"Octavio" wrote:
>
>> When the new Windows 7 is expected to be on the retail stores for sale? Any
>> idea of the retail prices?
>>
>> Will the Office Professional 2007 programs work well with it (I bet it will,
>> since they are from the same company. Any anticipated problems? Slowness
>> in old computers?)

Herb Tyson [MVP]

      8th Sep 2009
"jaws" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Does Windows 7 ALLOW you to use a default mail other than WindowsMail, as
> Vista forces? Still trying to believe not only did Vista force this, but
> gave no other options, and no work-arounds for it.

Windows 7 does not come with any default mail handler. You can add one if
you wish. Windows Mail is not included with Windows 7. I'm currently using
Outlook 2007, which works quite well for my needs.

Vista *does* provide other options. I used Outlook 2007 in Vista as my
default mail handler. Vista did not force Windows Mail, and allows you to
choose any MAPI compliant program. I don't know where you got your
information, but if you paid someone for it, you should demand a refund,
because it's just plain wrong.

Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com

Gordon

      8th Sep 2009

"jaws" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> WHY would I want my mail to download on my
> computer, take up precious hard-drive space,

Err ALL email clients "download" email to the HDD.........what makes you
think they don't? (And BTW, accessing email through a web browser is NOT
using an email client...)