unzip/zip xlsx files

=?Utf-8?B?YnVycm93c1VX?=

      11th Mar 2007
I would like to unzip an xlsx file, modify one of the xml files, and then zip
it back up. I want to do this from the desktop, not programmatically.

To test this, I have done the following:

1. Change excel file extension from xlsx to zip
2. Extracted the file in the zip archive to a new folder.
3. Zipped up this new folder and its contents.
4. Changed the extension of the zip file from zip to xlsx.

However, when I try to open the file from step (4) above, I get an error
from excel saying that the worksheet is not formatted correctly.

Is there a way I can overcome this error?

Thanks ... bill burrows

Ron de Bruin

      11th Mar 2007
Hi Bil

You must copy back the xml file you changed in the same folder (replace it with the old one)

Change extension to zip
Open zip
Drag file you want to change out of the zip folder
Change it and save it and drag it back in the zip folder (replace the old file)
Rename zip to xlsx

--

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

"burrowsUW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I would like to unzip an xlsx file, modify one of the xml files, and then zip
> it back up. I want to do this from the desktop, not programmatically.
>
> To test this, I have done the following:
>
> 1. Change excel file extension from xlsx to zip
> 2. Extracted the file in the zip archive to a new folder.
> 3. Zipped up this new folder and its contents.
> 4. Changed the extension of the zip file from zip to xlsx.
>
> However, when I try to open the file from step (4) above, I get an error
> from excel saying that the worksheet is not formatted correctly.
>
> Is there a way I can overcome this error?
>
> Thanks ... bill burrows

=?Utf-8?B?YnVycm93c1VX?=

      11th Mar 2007
Thanks Ron ... that did it

"Ron de Bruin" wrote:

> Hi Bil
>
> You must copy back the xml file you changed in the same folder (replace it with the old one)
>
> Change extension to zip
> Open zip
> Drag file you want to change out of the zip folder
> Change it and save it and drag it back in the zip folder (replace the old file)
> Rename zip to xlsx
>
> --
>
> Regards Ron de Bruin
> http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm
>

> "burrowsUW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I would like to unzip an xlsx file, modify one of the xml files, and then zip
> > it back up. I want to do this from the desktop, not programmatically.
> >
> > To test this, I have done the following:
> >
> > 1. Change excel file extension from xlsx to zip
> > 2. Extracted the file in the zip archive to a new folder.
> > 3. Zipped up this new folder and its contents.
> > 4. Changed the extension of the zip file from zip to xlsx.
> >
> > However, when I try to open the file from step (4) above, I get an error
> > from excel saying that the worksheet is not formatted correctly.
> >
> > Is there a way I can overcome this error?
> >
> > Thanks ... bill burrows

Ron de Bruin

      11th Mar 2007
Hi Bill

You are welcome

If you want to change the ribbon then use the UI Editor tool.
Great tool

See
http://www.rondebruin.nl/ribbon.htm