Unstable OS? or Unstable Hardware?

Joe

      13th May 2004
Ive tried soo many kinds of maintenance, but im growing
tired of having a Paperweight computer. I get error
messages doing everything. From surfing the web, to
playing games. Frequent crashes have left me bitter and
confused. I run Windows XP home with AMD Athlon 2800
Barton, with 1gb XMS Corsair Memory 3200, Memorex
52,24,52 CD/RW, Western Digital 80 GB 7200 RPM 8MB cache,
and a Geforce FX 5900 128 DDR. I have a Gigabyte GA
7N400 PRO motherboard with all the updates i can download
from Windows Update. My system theoretically should have
no problems, but it is far from stable and I dont know
what to do. If any one has any suggestions or anything
that might help please reply. Thank you.

luminos

      13th May 2004
Unstable hardware.

news:c5ef01c438b3$d1f7dcc0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ive tried soo many kinds of maintenance, but im growing
> tired of having a Paperweight computer. I get error
> messages doing everything. From surfing the web, to
> playing games. Frequent crashes have left me bitter and
> confused. I run Windows XP home with AMD Athlon 2800
> Barton, with 1gb XMS Corsair Memory 3200, Memorex
> 52,24,52 CD/RW, Western Digital 80 GB 7200 RPM 8MB cache,
> and a Geforce FX 5900 128 DDR. I have a Gigabyte GA
> 7N400 PRO motherboard with all the updates i can download
> from Windows Update. My system theoretically should have
> no problems, but it is far from stable and I dont know
> what to do. If any one has any suggestions or anything
> that might help please reply. Thank you.

      13th May 2004
Do you encounter General Protection Fault problems? this
is brought by the video card driver. try to install the
latest drivers for your Geforce FX 5900.

Kelly

      13th May 2004
Hi Joe,

Plenty of words, without backup. What are the error messages (especially if
it is called "serious error" while playing games), when are the crashes
occuring, have you checked the event log, have you tried to reduce hardware
accleration, have you checked Start/Run/Dxdiag, have you checked System Info
for problematic issues: Start/Run/Msinfo32/Hardware Resources and
Components/Problem Devices and Software Environment/Windows Error Reporting?

In the meantime and before your reply, I would suggest that you run each and
every one of them:

W32.Sasser Removal Tool (Line 321) Right hand side)

Ad-Aware
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Spybot
http://tinyurl.com/btf8

CWShredder (Line 313)

Hijack This
http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html

Free Online Virus Scan
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/hous...start_corp.asp

Good luck!

--
All the Best,
Kelly

Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

news:c5ef01c438b3$d1f7dcc0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ive tried soo many kinds of maintenance, but im growing
> tired of having a Paperweight computer. I get error
> messages doing everything. From surfing the web, to
> playing games. Frequent crashes have left me bitter and
> confused. I run Windows XP home with AMD Athlon 2800
> Barton, with 1gb XMS Corsair Memory 3200, Memorex
> 52,24,52 CD/RW, Western Digital 80 GB 7200 RPM 8MB cache,
> and a Geforce FX 5900 128 DDR. I have a Gigabyte GA
> 7N400 PRO motherboard with all the updates i can download
> from Windows Update. My system theoretically should have
> no problems, but it is far from stable and I dont know
> what to do. If any one has any suggestions or anything
> that might help please reply. Thank you.

Richard Urban

      13th May 2004
Have you installed the motherboard drivers? Are all of your fans spinning?
What are your M/B and CPU temps? Have you installed the latest video board
drivers?

Stop over clocking if you don't know what you are doing (may not apply)!

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)