UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

BORAZO

      17th Jul 2004
I have a boot problem with a Win XP Home edition machine.
It has worked ok since purchase. Then one morning when
booted for work, XP did not open. Instead what appeared on
screen was a blue background with the following error
message:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut
down to prevent damage to your computer.
UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME.
If the problem continues, diable ao remove any newly
installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory
options such as caching or shadowing.
Technical information:
STOP: 0x0000000ED
(0x82B6EBB8,0xC0000015,0x00000000,0x00000000)"

There is no newly installed hardware or software on the
machine, so I can't figure out what has gone wrong. I
would be most grateful if you could help me out here.
Thanks in advance.

Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers

      17th Jul 2004
Hi,

If you've made no hardware changes, nor any configuration changes, then it
is likely a corrupt file system. This may or may not be recoverable. Boot
the WinXP CD and load the Recovery Console. From the command prompt, run
"chkdsk C: /r" and see if it helps.

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP [Q307654]
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307654

If you don't have a regular CD, you will need to try and create the boot
disk set and use it to load the limited version of the Recovery Console:

Home edition:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/r...eleaseID=33290

Professional edition:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/r...eleaseID=33291

They should be sufficient to run the disk checker. If prompted for the
location of autochk (a file required by the disk checker), indicate the path
as C:\Windows\system32. If the system cannot access it, then you likely are
going to be out of luck. In this case, restart to the CD and start the
installation process, after accepting the license by hitting F8, it should
detect the existing installation and offer to repair it. If it states that
the installation partition is unreadable or unusable, that's a bad thing.
Basically, everything currently on the system will be lost, and you will
need to do a clean installation by deleting the partition and creating a new
one, then formatting and reinstalling (hope you have your Product Key handy,
as you will not be able to retrieve it from the system).

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"BORAZO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2df4901c46beb$00fb1cc0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a boot problem with a Win XP Home edition machine.
> It has worked ok since purchase. Then one morning when
> booted for work, XP did not open. Instead what appeared on
> screen was a blue background with the following error
> message:
>
> "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut
> down to prevent damage to your computer.
> UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME.
> If the problem continues, diable ao remove any newly
> installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory
> options such as caching or shadowing.
> Technical information:
> STOP: 0x0000000ED
> (0x82B6EBB8,0xC0000015,0x00000000,0x00000000)"
>
> There is no newly installed hardware or software on the
> machine, so I can't figure out what has gone wrong. I
> would be most grateful if you could help me out here.
> Thanks in advance.

JRT

      17th Jul 2004
> HAVE SAME PROBLEM,TRIED TO GO TO SEVERAL SAFE MODE
OPTIONS, WON'T GOES BACK TO BLUE SCREEN. NEED HELP

jrt