Uninstalling Programs That Don't Show in Add/Remove

Lonnie-in-Carlsbad

      26th May 2008
I have a number of applications that are no longer used but who have various
"helper" programs still running in background. They don't show in the
Add/Remove software list that you access from Control panel. In one case,
the application never was listed, so I need to uninstall the whole thing
manually. I'm running Windows XP Pro, SP2.

Here are some examples. These are not all of the list, but they will
illustrate the extent and variety of the problem. I have full administrative
assess to my system, but I don't know where these "background" helper
programs get run from. If I had knowledge of where the various places where
they get run at startup located I could remove them manually. Naturally, I
like to be able to identify all the actual Microsoft programs too, so I would
leave them in. Some are obvious (winlogin.exe), but I'd like a list because
some are not so obvious.

Here are some of the apps I'm writing about:

1) Skype
This never has had and entry in the Add/Remove list but does start up
everytime I login to Windows. I'd really want to remove it.

2) realsched.exe
This is an artifact of the RealPlayer viewer that I never use any more. It
does not show in my Add/Remove list any longer.

3) iPodService.exe
I don't use the iPod service any more. But, this little program still
starts up and runs in background.

4) ctfmon.exe
I don't even know how this got there or what it does. It may be from an old
application I once ran. I'd like to be able to figure that out.

I would say I have 8-10 such programs running in background and taking up
resources. I'd really like to know how to clean these things up and get my
resources back.

Thanks,

Lonnie

R. McCarty

      26th May 2008
SysInternals ( Microsoft ) tool AutoRuns:
*Ctfmon.Exe is a component of Microsoft Office.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282599

"Lonnie-in-Carlsbad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a number of applications that are no longer used but who have
>various
> "helper" programs still running in background. They don't show in the
> Add/Remove software list that you access from Control panel. In one case,
> the application never was listed, so I need to uninstall the whole thing
> manually. I'm running Windows XP Pro, SP2.
>
> Here are some examples. These are not all of the list, but they will
> illustrate the extent and variety of the problem. I have full
> administrative
> assess to my system, but I don't know where these "background" helper
> programs get run from. If I had knowledge of where the various places
> where
> they get run at startup located I could remove them manually. Naturally,
> like to be able to identify all the actual Microsoft programs too, so I
> would
> leave them in. Some are obvious (winlogin.exe), but I'd like a list
> because
> some are not so obvious.
>
> Here are some of the apps I'm writing about:
>
> 1) Skype
> This never has had and entry in the Add/Remove list but does start up
> everytime I login to Windows. I'd really want to remove it.
>
> 2) realsched.exe
> This is an artifact of the RealPlayer viewer that I never use any more.
> It
> does not show in my Add/Remove list any longer.
>
> 3) iPodService.exe
> I don't use the iPod service any more. But, this little program still
> starts up and runs in background.
>
> 4) ctfmon.exe
> I don't even know how this got there or what it does. It may be from an
> old
> application I once ran. I'd like to be able to figure that out.
>
> I would say I have 8-10 such programs running in background and taking up
> resources. I'd really like to know how to clean these things up and get
> my
> resources back.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Lonnie

DL

      26th May 2008
google for the 'names'
Most of them can be disabled in msconfig

"Lonnie-in-Carlsbad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a number of applications that are no longer used but who have
>various
> "helper" programs still running in background. They don't show in the
> Add/Remove software list that you access from Control panel. In one case,
> the application never was listed, so I need to uninstall the whole thing
> manually. I'm running Windows XP Pro, SP2.
>
> Here are some examples. These are not all of the list, but they will
> illustrate the extent and variety of the problem. I have full
> administrative
> assess to my system, but I don't know where these "background" helper
> programs get run from. If I had knowledge of where the various places
> where
> they get run at startup located I could remove them manually. Naturally,
> like to be able to identify all the actual Microsoft programs too, so I
> would
> leave them in. Some are obvious (winlogin.exe), but I'd like a list
> because
> some are not so obvious.
>
> Here are some of the apps I'm writing about:
>
> 1) Skype
> This never has had and entry in the Add/Remove list but does start up
> everytime I login to Windows. I'd really want to remove it.
>
> 2) realsched.exe
> This is an artifact of the RealPlayer viewer that I never use any more.
> It
> does not show in my Add/Remove list any longer.
>
> 3) iPodService.exe
> I don't use the iPod service any more. But, this little program still
> starts up and runs in background.
>
> 4) ctfmon.exe
> I don't even know how this got there or what it does. It may be from an
> old
> application I once ran. I'd like to be able to figure that out.
>
> I would say I have 8-10 such programs running in background and taking up
> resources. I'd really like to know how to clean these things up and get
> my
> resources back.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Lonnie

Unknown

      26th May 2008
To delete them, you can do a registry search and delete them there. Then can
be started via the registry by:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES\Software\Microsoft\windows\currentversion\run-- and the
following lines run once etc
"Lonnie-in-Carlsbad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a number of applications that are no longer used but who have
>various
> "helper" programs still running in background. They don't show in the
> Add/Remove software list that you access from Control panel. In one case,
> the application never was listed, so I need to uninstall the whole thing
> manually. I'm running Windows XP Pro, SP2.
>
> Here are some examples. These are not all of the list, but they will
> illustrate the extent and variety of the problem. I have full
> administrative
> assess to my system, but I don't know where these "background" helper
> programs get run from. If I had knowledge of where the various places
> where
> they get run at startup located I could remove them manually. Naturally,
> like to be able to identify all the actual Microsoft programs too, so I
> would
> leave them in. Some are obvious (winlogin.exe), but I'd like a list
> because
> some are not so obvious.
>
> Here are some of the apps I'm writing about:
>
> 1) Skype
> This never has had and entry in the Add/Remove list but does start up
> everytime I login to Windows. I'd really want to remove it.
>
> 2) realsched.exe
> This is an artifact of the RealPlayer viewer that I never use any more.
> It
> does not show in my Add/Remove list any longer.
>
> 3) iPodService.exe
> I don't use the iPod service any more. But, this little program still
> starts up and runs in background.
>
> 4) ctfmon.exe
> I don't even know how this got there or what it does. It may be from an
> old
> application I once ran. I'd like to be able to figure that out.
>
> I would say I have 8-10 such programs running in background and taking up
> resources. I'd really like to know how to clean these things up and get
> my
> resources back.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Lonnie

HeyBub

      26th May 2008
Lonnie-in-Carlsbad wrote:
> I have a number of applications that are no longer used but who have
> various "helper" programs still running in background. They don't
> show in the Add/Remove software list that you access from Control
> panel. In one case, the application never was listed, so I need to
> uninstall the whole thing manually. I'm running Windows XP Pro, SP2.

To accomplish exactly what you want, go for Run/MSCONFIG

Go to the start-up tab and uncheck the culprits.

This does not remove the programs from your system; it just prevents them
from starting.

To go for the next step, removing them from your system, you'll have to
manually delete the programs and folders from your drive plus scour the
registry for mentions of the offenders.

There's probably a bit of software to accomplish the latter project more
diligently than manually fussing around.

Kelly

      26th May 2008
Hi,

#4 is a part of Office, it is harmless. To remove see line 385:

Troubleshooting, Removing and/or Cleaning Add or Remove Programs
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_a.htm#addremove

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP/DTS&XP)

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

"Lonnie-in-Carlsbad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a number of applications that are no longer used but who have
>various
> "helper" programs still running in background. They don't show in the
> Add/Remove software list that you access from Control panel. In one case,
> the application never was listed, so I need to uninstall the whole thing
> manually. I'm running Windows XP Pro, SP2.
>
> Here are some examples. These are not all of the list, but they will
> illustrate the extent and variety of the problem. I have full
> administrative
> assess to my system, but I don't know where these "background" helper
> programs get run from. If I had knowledge of where the various places
> where
> they get run at startup located I could remove them manually. Naturally,
> like to be able to identify all the actual Microsoft programs too, so I
> would
> leave them in. Some are obvious (winlogin.exe), but I'd like a list
> because
> some are not so obvious.
>
> Here are some of the apps I'm writing about:
>
> 1) Skype
> This never has had and entry in the Add/Remove list but does start up
> everytime I login to Windows. I'd really want to remove it.
>
> 2) realsched.exe
> This is an artifact of the RealPlayer viewer that I never use any more.
> It
> does not show in my Add/Remove list any longer.
>
> 3) iPodService.exe
> I don't use the iPod service any more. But, this little program still
> starts up and runs in background.
>
> 4) ctfmon.exe
> I don't even know how this got there or what it does. It may be from an
> old
> application I once ran. I'd like to be able to figure that out.
>
> I would say I have 8-10 such programs running in background and taking up
> resources. I'd really like to know how to clean these things up and get
> my
> resources back.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Lonnie

Lonnie-in-Carlsbad

      26th May 2008

Thanks to all who replied. This is a lot of good information and I should
be able to get the job done.

Lonnie