uninstall Window Messenger

Dave

      1st Nov 2003
I have been trying to Find out How i can Uninstall Windows
Messenger thats On My Windows XP Without Deleting any
programs I think it goes with Msn.Not Sure i still
Have.It apperently Came With the with the Computer i
Purchased For a Program .I Dont use Windows Messenger and
I am not Good on the Computer Im Afraid i Might Delete
something i still want..Thanks For Any Help you Can Give
Me ..Dave

      1st Nov 2003
I know me too I want to remove instant message. I don't
use and I don't need it. Microsoft make it difficult to
remove. They want you to have it for some reason. I
beleive it gives them access to your computer. I don't
know but man they make it difficult. I was looking here
if someone could tell me too.
I did it at the office but at home I can't ???
How I did it is
Start/ run/ type gpedt.ms and then look for intant
message somewhere in there and de activate.

Good luck.

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

      1st Nov 2003
Greetings Dave,

You can remove Windows Messenger, but if you do, you will be preventing Remote Assistance,
Whiteboard, Application Sharing and any other applications that utilize Messenger from
working (or loading without problems). You can just disable Windows Messenger by opening it
up, click Tools, Options, Preferences tab and unchecking 'Run this Program when Windows
starts' or 'Run Windows Messenger when Windows starts' (depending on version). As well, you
can disable it further by going to Start, Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs, Add/Remove
Windows Components on the left, uncheck Windows Messenger in the components list and click
Next >. Note: this is only available if you've installed Windows XP Service Pack 1 -- if you
haven't, visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com. This won't remove Windows Messenger, but
it will let it stay out of your way

Besides the drawbacks above however, if you really want to remove it completely, for Windows
Messenger 4.7, close down Messenger if it's running (right click the messenger icon in the
notification area/system tray and click close). Then click the start button, then click Run
and type in (copy-paste if you like):
RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Then click OK.
Messenger will then be uninstalled. For more detailed instructions and screenshots, go to,
http://messenger.jonathankay.com/problem.aspx?ID=7

For Windows Messenger 5, close down Messenger if it's running (right click the messenger icon
in the notification area/system tray and click close). Then click the start button, then
click Run and type in (copy-paste if you like):
msiexec.exe /x {ABEB838C-A1A7-4C5D-B7E1-8B4314B10138}
and then click OK.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

news:08f701c3a071$80245840$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have been trying to Find out How i can Uninstall Windows
> Messenger thats On My Windows XP Without Deleting any
> programs I think it goes with Msn.Not Sure i still
> Have.It apperently Came With the with the Computer i
> Purchased For a Program .I Dont use Windows Messenger and
> I am not Good on the Computer Im Afraid i Might Delete
> something i still want..Thanks For Any Help you Can Give
> Me ..Dave

Dave Allan

      4th Nov 2003
I too have the situation as where msmsgs.exe (Windows
Messenger) runs automatically, even concurrently with
msnmsg.exe (MSN Messenger) when I view "running processes"
in Task Manager. I have followed all of the basic
suggested instructions as far as settings are concerned to
stop it, but msmsgs.exe will initialize all on its own.
I've even stopped the process (tree) from within Task
Manager but eventually the msmsgs.exe will start up again
even without me starting any other apps.
The "work around" I have found that seems to work quite
effectively and I haven't had any adverse problems thus
far and that is to rename msmsgs.exe to something else. In
my case I have added the digit "1" to the end of the file
name; msmsgs1.exe. By doing so, Windows Messenger will not
start automatically nor can it run if I chose to run it.
If there is a need for the other features that this app
supports as previously, all I have to do is go back in and
remove the digit and rename the file back to its original
syntax and launch the program. This negates all the
cumbersome uninstall/deleting of shortcuts etc. Everything
is still as it was except the app won't run until the
executable is renamed to its orginal syntax.

message
>news:08f701c3a071$80245840$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have been trying to Find out How i can Uninstall

Windows
>> Messenger thats On My Windows XP Without Deleting any
>> programs I think it goes with Msn.Not Sure i still
>> Have.It apperently Came With the with the Computer i
>> Purchased For a Program .I Dont use Windows Messenger

and
>> I am not Good on the Computer Im Afraid i Might Delete
>> something i still want..Thanks For Any Help you Can Give
>> Me ..Dave

>.

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

      4th Nov 2003
Hi Dave,

If you don't like your "workaround", do you happen to have Norton Antivirus 2003 installed?
Norton added a new "instant messaging scanning" feature to Norton Antivirus 2003, which can
conflict with Messenger and cause some of this behavior. To stop it, open Norton Antivirus
(Right-click on the Norton Antivirus icon in the System Tray/Notification Area (by the
clock), choose 'Open Norton Antivirus'), click Options, then Instant Messenger then uncheck
MSN Instant Messenger and click OK.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

news:003901c3a2f8$69e6d330$(E-Mail Removed)...