uninstall ics

Kenneth W.

      16th Sep 2003
Need to unistall internet connection sharing and do not
know where to go to do that. Trying to setup vpn software.

Marc Reynolds [MSFT]

      16th Sep 2003
Hi,

To disable ICS

1. In Control Panel, double-click Network Connections.

2. Click the local area network (LAN) connection or the dial-up
networking connection that you want to share (that is, the one that
connects to the Internet), and then, under Network Tasks, click "Change
settings of this connection".

3. On the Advanced tab, click to deselect the "Allow other network users
to connect through this computer's Internet connection" check box.

Thanks,
Marc Reynolds
Microsoft Technical Support

Steve Winograd [MVP]

      16th Sep 2003
In article <06e001c37bef$cacdc8f0$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Kenneth W."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Need to unistall internet connection sharing and do not
>know where to go to do that. Trying to setup vpn software.

The message from the VPN software is wrong. It isn't possible to
install or un-install Internet Connection Sharing in Windows XP.

I've seen reports that you can solve the problem by disabling the
ICF/ICS service before installing the VPN software and enabling the
service afterwards.

To disable the ICF/ICS service:

1. Right click My Computer, and click Manage.
2. Double click Services and Applications.
3. Double click Services.
4. Double click "Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) / Internet
Connection Sharing (ICS)".
5. If the Service status is Started, click Stop.

To enable it after the installation, repeat those steps, clicking
"Start" in step 5.

Are you using the Cisco VPN client software? According to the Cisco
web site, VPN Client versions 3.5(1)D and later have a parameter to
ignore the ICS check prior to installing.

Another possibility is to install Windows XP Service Pack 1. Please
see this Microsoft Knowledge Base article for details:

Cannot Install CISCO VPN Client on Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;Q325072
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com