how to unhide a hidden row in a pivot table?

=?Utf-8?B?UmljaA==?=

      7th Feb 2006
Hello,

I have been practicing with pivot tables and hid a few row sections. But I
have not been able to unhide the row. Is there a way to do this? or do I
have to recreate the pivot table?

Thanks,
Rich

=?Utf-8?B?SmltIFRob21saW5zb24=?=

      7th Feb 2006
There should be no need to re-create the pivot. When you say you hid some
rows, what exactly did you do to hide the rows?
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Rich" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been practicing with pivot tables and hid a few row sections. But I
> have not been able to unhide the row. Is there a way to do this? or do I
> have to recreate the pivot table?
>
> Thanks,
> Rich

=?Utf-8?B?UmljaA==?=

      7th Feb 2006
I right-clicked a row in the pivot table and in the dropdown menu selected
hide and the row disappeared.

While I'm at it, is there a way to get the datasource of a pivot table? I
have an excel file with some pivot tables from sql server that were created
using Microsoft Query. Is it possible to retrieve that sql or the stored
procedure name used? I know that the pivot table was created using either a
plain tSql statement or a plain stored procedure (as opposed to an MDX
query). Is there a way in VBA to retrive the sql or name of the sp?

"Jim Thomlinson" wrote:

> There should be no need to re-create the pivot. When you say you hid some
> rows, what exactly did you do to hide the rows?
> --
> HTH...
>
> Jim Thomlinson
>

> "Rich" wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have been practicing with pivot tables and hid a few row sections. But I
> > have not been able to unhide the row. Is there a way to do this? or do I
> > have to recreate the pivot table?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Rich

=?Utf-8?B?SmltIFRob21saW5zb24=?=

      7th Feb 2006
To reverse what you have done just select the grey drop down for that
dimension (Time, account, location,...) and scroll down. the items that you
hid will not be chaecked. Add the check mark back and you are good to go. If
the dimension is in the header for the pivot table to bring items back right
click the grey drop down and select Field settings. Items highlighted are
hidden and not included in the aggregation.

As for your second question if you select the pivot table wizard and then
select the back button you should be able to find the data source for your
pivot.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Rich" wrote:

> I right-clicked a row in the pivot table and in the dropdown menu selected
> hide and the row disappeared.
>
> While I'm at it, is there a way to get the datasource of a pivot table? I
> have an excel file with some pivot tables from sql server that were created
> using Microsoft Query. Is it possible to retrieve that sql or the stored
> procedure name used? I know that the pivot table was created using either a
> plain tSql statement or a plain stored procedure (as opposed to an MDX
> query). Is there a way in VBA to retrive the sql or name of the sp?
>
> "Jim Thomlinson" wrote:
>
> > There should be no need to re-create the pivot. When you say you hid some
> > rows, what exactly did you do to hide the rows?
> > --
> > HTH...
> >
> > Jim Thomlinson
> >

> > "Rich" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I have been practicing with pivot tables and hid a few row sections. But I
> > > have not been able to unhide the row. Is there a way to do this? or do I
> > > have to recreate the pivot table?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Rich

=?Utf-8?B?UmljaA==?=

      8th Feb 2006
Thank you again for your reply. Your technique for finding the data source
with the Pivot Table wizard worked out well. Easier than writing code. But
I was not able to follow the part for unhiding hidden columns. For example:

I have 2 data rows, 1 data column, and the data pieces. This produces a
partial column called "Data" which is an aggregation of the row aggregations.
If I hide this column, I can't unhide it. I think it may be because this
column is generated dynamically? Not part of the list of fields?

"Jim Thomlinson" wrote:

> To reverse what you have done just select the grey drop down for that
> dimension (Time, account, location,...) and scroll down. the items that you
> hid will not be chaecked. Add the check mark back and you are good to go. If
> the dimension is in the header for the pivot table to bring items back right
> click the grey drop down and select Field settings. Items highlighted are
> hidden and not included in the aggregation.
>
> As for your second question if you select the pivot table wizard and then
> select the back button you should be able to find the data source for your
> pivot.
> --
> HTH...
>
> Jim Thomlinson
>

> "Rich" wrote:
>
> > I right-clicked a row in the pivot table and in the dropdown menu selected
> > hide and the row disappeared.
> >
> > While I'm at it, is there a way to get the datasource of a pivot table? I
> > have an excel file with some pivot tables from sql server that were created
> > using Microsoft Query. Is it possible to retrieve that sql or the stored
> > procedure name used? I know that the pivot table was created using either a
> > plain tSql statement or a plain stored procedure (as opposed to an MDX
> > query). Is there a way in VBA to retrive the sql or name of the sp?
> >
> > "Jim Thomlinson" wrote:
> >
> > > There should be no need to re-create the pivot. When you say you hid some
> > > rows, what exactly did you do to hide the rows?
> > > --
> > > HTH...
> > >
> > > Jim Thomlinson

=?Utf-8?B?SmltIFRob21saW5zb24=?=

      8th Feb 2006
If I am following you, what you have hidden are the aggregations "Subtotals"
which are created for one of your column dimensions? If this is the case
right click the field and select Field Setting -> Automatic (radio button
under Subtotal)... This will put the subtotals back...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson