underline question

rekoop

      9th Jan 2004
Why can I not view "underlining" unless there is text
present on the underlining or after it?
I remember in WordPerfect I can choose underline and then
hit the space bar and receive a line length of my
choosing.

I am coverting wp documents with many of these "blank
underlines" that become invisible when converted to word.

I hope my question makes sense and any help is very much
appreciated.

Graham Mayor

      9th Jan 2004
For a long underlined space in Word, you would use a tab with an underline
leader.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

rekoop wrote:
> Why can I not view "underlining" unless there is text
> present on the underlining or after it?
> I remember in WordPerfect I can choose underline and then
> hit the space bar and receive a line length of my
> choosing.
>
> I am coverting wp documents with many of these "blank
> underlines" that become invisible when converted to word.
>
> I hope my question makes sense and any help is very much
> appreciated.

Herb Tyson [MVP]

      9th Jan 2004
Choose Tools - Options - Compatibility, and enable Draw Underline on
Trailing Spaces. You might want to include Add Spaces for Underlines, too.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"rekoop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:090a01c3d6b3$8e7777b0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why can I not view "underlining" unless there is text
> present on the underlining or after it?
> I remember in WordPerfect I can choose underline and then
> hit the space bar and receive a line length of my
> choosing.
>
> I am coverting wp documents with many of these "blank
> underlines" that become invisible when converted to word.
>
> I hope my question makes sense and any help is very much
> appreciated.

Suzanne S. Barnhill

      9th Jan 2004
There are several ways to create blank lines in Word. Other respondents have
pointed you to some of them. For more, see
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/TblsFl...nesInForms.htm

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"rekoop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:090a01c3d6b3$8e7777b0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why can I not view "underlining" unless there is text
> present on the underlining or after it?
> I remember in WordPerfect I can choose underline and then
> hit the space bar and receive a line length of my
> choosing.
>
> I am coverting wp documents with many of these "blank
> underlines" that become invisible when converted to word.
>
> I hope my question makes sense and any help is very much
> appreciated.

Suzanne S. Barnhill

      9th Jan 2004
And you don't need to do this as long as the last space to be underlined is
a nonbreaking one (Ctrl+Shift+Space).

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
Word MVP FAQ site: http://www.mvps.org/word
all may benefit.

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Choose Tools - Options - Compatibility, and enable Draw Underline on
> Trailing Spaces. You might want to include Add Spaces for Underlines, too.
>
> --
> Herb Tyson MS MVP
> Please respond in the newsgroups so everyone can follow along.
> http://www.herbtyson.com
> "rekoop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:090a01c3d6b3$8e7777b0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Why can I not view "underlining" unless there is text
> > present on the underlining or after it?
> > I remember in WordPerfect I can choose underline and then
> > hit the space bar and receive a line length of my
> > choosing.
> >
> > I am coverting wp documents with many of these "blank
> > underlines" that become invisible when converted to word.
> >
> > I hope my question makes sense and any help is very much
> > appreciated.

Bruce

      9th Jan 2004
You can press Ctrl + Shift + Spacebar to create a
nonbreaking space which can be formatted with underlines,
text borders, etc. With underline selected on the
toolbar, hold down the spacebar to create a string of
underline nonbreaking spaces (a line). It would probably
be easier, though, to set the tab where you want the end
of the line, select underline, and press the tab key.

TF

      9th Jan 2004
Bruce

As Suzanne pointed out in her post, it is only the final space that needs to
be non-breaking.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://www.mvps.org/word/

"Bruce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:007f01c3d6cf$bffd2ac0$(E-Mail Removed)...
You can press Ctrl + Shift + Spacebar to create a
nonbreaking space which can be formatted with underlines,
text borders, etc. With underline selected on the
toolbar, hold down the spacebar to create a string of
underline nonbreaking spaces (a line). It would probably
be easier, though, to set the tab where you want the end
of the line, select underline, and press the tab key.

Nomad

      9th Jan 2004
Herb, is there any way I can do what you suggested (below) for all docs or
must I (re) do this for each and every doc I start?
--
Nomad

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Choose Tools - Options - Compatibility, and enable Draw Underline on
> Trailing Spaces. You might want to include Add Spaces for Underlines, too.
>
> --
> Herb Tyson MS MVP
> Please respond in the newsgroups so everyone can follow along.
> http://www.herbtyson.com
> "rekoop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:090a01c3d6b3$8e7777b0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Why can I not view "underlining" unless there is text
> > present on the underlining or after it?
> > I remember in WordPerfect I can choose underline and then
> > hit the space bar and receive a line length of my
> > choosing.
> >
> > I am coverting wp documents with many of these "blank
> > underlines" that become invisible when converted to word.
> >
> > I hope my question makes sense and any help is very much
> > appreciated.

Bruce

      12th Jan 2004
Understood, but if somebody tries to go to the end of the
line and backspace to shorten it, the nonbreaking space
(and the underline) disappear. BTW, Suzanne's post had
not yet appeared when I posted. I learned this trick from
her in the first place.

TF

      12th Jan 2004
Bruce

You are using the CDO interface to post and there has been sync problems
over the weekend. If possible, you should connect using Outlook Express and
connect directly to the public msnews.microsoft.com news server. It updates
quicker (usually in 5 mins or less) and is more reliable than the CDO
interface.

A good reason the use all non-breaking spaces if someone is going to shorten
the line.

Terry

"Bruce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0c0d01c3d92c$1afde0a0$(E-Mail Removed)...
: Understood, but if somebody tries to go to the end of the
: line and backspace to shorten it, the nonbreaking space
: (and the underline) disappear. BTW, Suzanne's post had
: not yet appeared when I posted. I learned this trick from
: her in the first place.
: >As Suzanne pointed out in her post, it is only the final
: space that needs to
: >be non-breaking.
: >
: >--
: >Terry Farrell - Word MVP
: >http://www.mvps.org/word/
: >
: >"Bruce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
: message
: >news:007f01c3d6cf$bffd2ac0$(E-Mail Removed)...
: >You can press Ctrl + Shift + Spacebar to create a
: >nonbreaking space which can be formatted with underlines,
: >text borders, etc. With underline selected on the
: >toolbar, hold down the spacebar to create a string of
: >underline nonbreaking spaces (a line). It would probably
: >be easier, though, to set the tab where you want the end
: >of the line, select underline, and press the tab key.
: >>Why can I not view "underlining" unless there is text
: >>present on the underlining or after it?
: >>I remember in WordPerfect I can choose underline and then
: >>hit the space bar and receive a line length of my
: >>choosing.
: >>
: >>I am coverting wp documents with many of these "blank
: >>underlines" that become invisible when converted to word.
: >>
: >>I hope my question makes sense and any help is very much
: >>appreciated.
: >>.
: >>
: >