Unauthorized Password Deletion

=?Utf-8?B?Q29uZm91bmRlZCBpbiBLQw==?=

      1st May 2006
parent of a couple of cagey and savvy teenagers; in order to prevent late
night usage of the family PC, I deleted the Guest Account and password
protected the only other User account (mine). I would log off in the evening
and everything was fine until a couple of weeks ago when I noticed that my
password had been deleted and anyone could log on as me and use the computer.

Changed the password three times in a row, even using brand new random ones,
and within a couple of days, someone had deleted the password.

So that I don't have to keep taking the mouse and keyboard away each night,
anyone know how one of my teenagers is managing to pull this off? I don't
notice any unusual software, so I am at a loss.

Help!

Vanguard

      1st May 2006
"Confounded in KC" <Confounded in (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> parent of a couple of cagey and savvy teenagers; in order to prevent
> late
> night usage of the family PC, I deleted the Guest Account and password
> protected the only other User account (mine). I would log off in the
> evening
> and everything was fine until a couple of weeks ago when I noticed
> that my
> password had been deleted and anyone could log on as me and use the
> computer.

<snip>

Did you ever give the Administrator account a password?

Post replies to the newsgroup. Share with others.

Kevin

      1st May 2006

"Confounded in KC" <Confounded in (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> parent of a couple of cagey and savvy teenagers; in order to prevent late
> night usage of the family PC, I deleted the Guest Account and password
> protected the only other User account (mine). I would log off in the
> evening
> and everything was fine until a couple of weeks ago when I noticed that my
> password had been deleted and anyone could log on as me and use the
> computer.
>
> Changed the password three times in a row, even using brand new random
> ones,
> and within a couple of days, someone had deleted the password.
>
> So that I don't have to keep taking the mouse and keyboard away each
> night,
> anyone know how one of my teenagers is managing to pull this off? I don't
> notice any unusual software, so I am at a loss.
>
> Help!

Have you actually asked one of the little darlings if they were doing this?
Point out that lying will bring about dread circumstances and dire times for
them, not to mention the complete loss of all rights, privileges and
freedom. And no computer.

David Candy

      1st May 2006
You are a great big wimp. Tie the kids to the clothesline. Give em a bowl of water though.

How to lose a war in Iraq
http://webdiary.com.au/cms/?q=node/1335#comment-48641
"Kevin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Confounded in KC" <Confounded in (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> parent of a couple of cagey and savvy teenagers; in order to prevent late
>> night usage of the family PC, I deleted the Guest Account and password
>> protected the only other User account (mine). I would log off in the
>> evening
>> and everything was fine until a couple of weeks ago when I noticed that my
>> password had been deleted and anyone could log on as me and use the
>> computer.
>>
>> Changed the password three times in a row, even using brand new random
>> ones,
>> and within a couple of days, someone had deleted the password.
>>
>> So that I don't have to keep taking the mouse and keyboard away each
>> night,
>> anyone know how one of my teenagers is managing to pull this off? I don't
>> notice any unusual software, so I am at a loss.
>>
>> Help!

> Have you actually asked one of the little darlings if they were doing this?
> Point out that lying will bring about dread circumstances and dire times for
> them, not to mention the complete loss of all rights, privileges and
> freedom. And no computer.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

      1st May 2006
10 Immutable Laws of Security
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/arc.../10imlaws.mspx

Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit for Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/s...s/default.mspx

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

---------------------------------------------------------------------------*----------------

"Confounded in KC" wrote:

| parent of a couple of cagey and savvy teenagers; in order to prevent late
| night usage of the family PC, I deleted the Guest Account and password
| protected the only other User account (mine). I would log off in the evening
| and everything was fine until a couple of weeks ago when I noticed that my
| password had been deleted and anyone could log on as me and use the computer.
|
| Changed the password three times in a row, even using brand new random ones,
| and within a couple of days, someone had deleted the password.
|
| So that I don't have to keep taking the mouse and keyboard away each night,
| anyone know how one of my teenagers is managing to pull this off? I don't
| notice any unusual software, so I am at a loss.
|
| Help!

=?Utf-8?B?Q29uZm91bmRlZCBpbiBLQw==?=

      1st May 2006
The only user account that I have set up is mine and yes, it is the
administrator account that we are talking about.

"Vanguard" wrote:

> "Confounded in KC" <Confounded in (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > parent of a couple of cagey and savvy teenagers; in order to prevent
> > late
> > night usage of the family PC, I deleted the Guest Account and password
> > protected the only other User account (mine). I would log off in the
> > evening
> > and everything was fine until a couple of weeks ago when I noticed
> > that my
> > password had been deleted and anyone could log on as me and use the
> > computer.

> <snip>
>
> Did you ever give the Administrator account a password?

> Post replies to the newsgroup. Share with others.
> For e-mail: Remove "NIX" and add "#VN" to Subject.

=?Utf-8?B?Q29uZm91bmRlZCBpbiBLQw==?=

      1st May 2006
Actually, I have four kids and the two oldest (the most likely candidates)
have friends over often. All the kids deny doing this, and the two youngest,
though computer users, are probably not the problem. But I am trying to find
a solution that will give me back control of the use of the computer so as to
not unfairly punish whichever one (or their friends) that is doing this.

Figured there must be some hack program or routine that allows someone to
delete a Windows password even if you don't know the original one, or
something else that is remembering my password so they can go in and delete
it in an authorized mode.

"Kevin" wrote:

> "Confounded in KC" <Confounded in (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > parent of a couple of cagey and savvy teenagers; in order to prevent late
> > night usage of the family PC, I deleted the Guest Account and password
> > protected the only other User account (mine). I would log off in the
> > evening
> > and everything was fine until a couple of weeks ago when I noticed that my
> > password had been deleted and anyone could log on as me and use the
> > computer.
> >
> > Changed the password three times in a row, even using brand new random
> > ones,
> > and within a couple of days, someone had deleted the password.
> >
> > So that I don't have to keep taking the mouse and keyboard away each
> > night,
> > anyone know how one of my teenagers is managing to pull this off? I don't
> > notice any unusual software, so I am at a loss.
> >
> > Help!

> Have you actually asked one of the little darlings if they were doing this?
> Point out that lying will bring about dread circumstances and dire times for
> them, not to mention the complete loss of all rights, privileges and
> freedom. And no computer.

=?Utf-8?B?Q29uZm91bmRlZCBpbiBLQw==?=

      1st May 2006
Not a whole lot help are we David? Figured that in lieu of continuing to
take the computer access away from all of the kids, someone in this newsgroup
might be aware of a hacking program or technique that would allow me to short
circuit the offender.

"David Candy" wrote:

> You are a great big wimp. Tie the kids to the clothesline. Give em a bowl of water though.

> How to lose a war in Iraq
> http://webdiary.com.au/cms/?q=node/1335#comment-48641
> "Kevin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Confounded in KC" <Confounded in (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> > message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> parent of a couple of cagey and savvy teenagers; in order to prevent late
> >> night usage of the family PC, I deleted the Guest Account and password
> >> protected the only other User account (mine). I would log off in the
> >> evening
> >> and everything was fine until a couple of weeks ago when I noticed that my
> >> password had been deleted and anyone could log on as me and use the
> >> computer.
> >>
> >> Changed the password three times in a row, even using brand new random
> >> ones,
> >> and within a couple of days, someone had deleted the password.
> >>
> >> So that I don't have to keep taking the mouse and keyboard away each
> >> night,
> >> anyone know how one of my teenagers is managing to pull this off? I don't
> >> notice any unusual software, so I am at a loss.
> >>
> >> Help!

> > Have you actually asked one of the little darlings if they were doing this?
> > Point out that lying will bring about dread circumstances and dire times for
> > them, not to mention the complete loss of all rights, privileges and
> > freedom. And no computer.

=?Utf-8?B?Q29uZm91bmRlZCBpbiBLQw==?=

      1st May 2006
Carey, thanks for the tips. I pretty much follow all the "10" tips, and I
will check out the Shared Toolkit idea.

Was just curious if anyone out there knew of a hack program or technique
that could be used to steal my password so that they could delete it, or a
hole in the system that would allow someone to delete the password even if
they didn't know it.

I have changed the password several times and only written it down on my PDA
which my kids do not have access to (and is also password protected).
Figured there was some way they were getting around the Windows password
thing and I wanted to see if I could 1) stop it, and 2) find out who is doing
it.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> 10 Immutable Laws of Security
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/arc.../10imlaws.mspx
>
> Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit for Windows XP
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/s...s/default.mspx
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows - Shell/User
> Microsoft Community Newsgroups
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------*----------------
>
> "Confounded in KC" wrote:
>
> | parent of a couple of cagey and savvy teenagers; in order to prevent late
> | night usage of the family PC, I deleted the Guest Account and password
> | protected the only other User account (mine). I would log off in the evening
> | and everything was fine until a couple of weeks ago when I noticed that my
> | password had been deleted and anyone could log on as me and use the computer.
> |
> | Changed the password three times in a row, even using brand new random ones,
> | and within a couple of days, someone had deleted the password.
> |
> | So that I don't have to keep taking the mouse and keyboard away each night,
> | anyone know how one of my teenagers is managing to pull this off? I don't
> | notice any unusual software, so I am at a loss.
> |
> | Help!

Ricky

      1st May 2006
In XP Home there is a administer account that is only seen when you boot in
safe mode. If this is not password protected you can use it to change
passwords in other accounts.

"Confounded in KC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...