Unattended Windows 2000 Pro install fails during final reboot

SmarSquid

      5th Mar 2004
I am attempting a fully unattended install of win2k pro on a system whose
hard disk is attached to a PCI mass storage controller (no built in Windows
support).

I am able to bypass the "F6 to load 3rd party SCSI drivers" using the method
described here.

http://www.fluctuation.co.uk/project...tribution.html

In fact, everything goes as planned and the entire Windows 2000 installation
takes place with no intervention on my part. At the very end of the GUI
install process, the system reboots itself one last time. On this final
reboot, I get the blue screen of death stop error and the "INACCESSIBLE BOOT
DEVICE" message.

At this point the entire OS is loaded onto the hard disk and there should be
no problem. After all, the drivers were loaded as a part of the textmode
setup, and the hard disk was recognized then. The hard disk was also
recognized and functioning during the GUI phase of setup. The final reboot
comes along and all of the sudden this same hard disk is inaccessible? I am
perplexed.

I can provide details on my txtsetup.sif, hivesys.inf, $oem$ directory,
winnt.sif (unattended script) upon request.

David Adner

      5th Mar 2004
During GUI mode setup, if you press SHIFT-F10, it'll drop you to a CMD
prompt. From there, try running devmgmt.msc (that's Device Manager).
Not all tools will load during GUI setup, but I think this one will. If
it does load, verify the correct device and driver is loading. Perhaps
the PNP detection is finding the controller and replacing your OEM
driver with an incorrect (wrong entirely or perhaps different version)
driver.