Unable to remove item from Outbox

Jeffrey Gerber

      10th Jun 2004
I attempted to send a message with a large attachment. As
the size of the message was too large, the send was
rejected. I now have the message in my outbox, unable to
be sent.

If I try to delete it, open it, or otherwise do anything
with it, I'm told that, because the send is in progress, I
cannot access the message.

I, therefore, seem to have no way of removing this item
from my outbox. Any ideas?

I'm using Outlook 2003.

Roady [MVP]

      10th Jun 2004
Place Outlook Offline by File-> Work Offline and restart Outlook and see if
you can delete it now.
If not see;
http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/mes...ckinoutbox.htm

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
www.howto-outlook.com

Tips of the month:
-Creating Signatures

-----
"Jeffrey Gerber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1a69c01c44eec$c27d3390$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I attempted to send a message with a large attachment. As
> the size of the message was too large, the send was
> rejected. I now have the message in my outbox, unable to
> be sent.
>
> If I try to delete it, open it, or otherwise do anything
> with it, I'm told that, because the send is in progress, I
> cannot access the message.
>
> I, therefore, seem to have no way of removing this item
> from my outbox. Any ideas?
>
> I'm using Outlook 2003.

Jeffrey Gerber

      11th Jun 2004
Neither suggestion worked. If I try to delete the outbox
message, nothing happens. And I cannot delete the Outbox
folder (the "Delete Outbox" item is greyed out on the
right-click menu). I'd really prefer not to have to
recreate my folders, copy old messages over... So, is
there any way to let Outlook allow me to delete the Outbox
folder?

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

      11th Jun 2004
Read what Roady's site suggested again.
It will work.
Just create a temporary profile including this PST file and no transports.
Then you can delete the item from your Outbox.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Jeffrey Gerber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1b2eb01c44f9b$47e93ed0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Neither suggestion worked. If I try to delete the outbox
> message, nothing happens. And I cannot delete the Outbox
> folder (the "Delete Outbox" item is greyed out on the
> right-click menu). I'd really prefer not to have to
> recreate my folders, copy old messages over... So, is
> there any way to let Outlook allow me to delete the Outbox
> folder?

      14th Jun 2004
I have tried several times and have followed all the
suggestions posted on the web site. The fact remains that
the "Delete" item on the stuck outbox messages does
nothing. No errors, it just doesn't do anything.

However, maybe I'm not seeing what you're talking about. I
see nothing about creating a temporary profile -- just
creating a new PST within my existing profile and making
the new one the primary one to RECEIVE.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

      14th Jun 2004
Try it. It works.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:264b01c451ab$cb6b2270$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have tried several times and have followed all the
> suggestions posted on the web site. The fact remains that
> the "Delete" item on the stuck outbox messages does
> nothing. No errors, it just doesn't do anything.
>
> However, maybe I'm not seeing what you're talking about. I
> see nothing about creating a temporary profile -- just
> creating a new PST within my existing profile and making
> the new one the primary one to RECEIVE.

Jeffrey Gerber

      14th Jun 2004
Sorry, I have tried it. Exactly as shown. And it does NOT
work for me. Really, honestly, and truely. I created a
new PST. I made it my default for incoming messages. I
restarted Outlook. I go to the stuck outbox message. I
right click. I select "Delete." Nothing happens. I right
click on the Outbox folder. "Delete Folder" is greyed out.

How is what I did any different than what's on the
referenced web page?

Thanks for your help, but it appears that the web page I'm
seeing and what you think it says (e.g., it does NOT talk
about creating a new profile) are not the same.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

      14th Jun 2004
I'm not talking about that Web page. I'm talking about the numerous KB
articles that exist on this topic, some of which are referenced on that web
page.
What I am telling you to try is to create a new profile (not a new PST).
Place THIS PST in that profile, but no transports. You will then be able to
delete the stuck message.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Jeffrey Gerber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:253201c4520a$90042d80$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sorry, I have tried it. Exactly as shown. And it does NOT
> work for me. Really, honestly, and truely. I created a
> new PST. I made it my default for incoming messages. I
> restarted Outlook. I go to the stuck outbox message. I
> right click. I select "Delete." Nothing happens. I right
> click on the Outbox folder. "Delete Folder" is greyed out.
>
> How is what I did any different than what's on the
> referenced web page?
>
> Thanks for your help, but it appears that the web page I'm
> seeing and what you think it says (e.g., it does NOT talk
> about creating a new profile) are not the same.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

      14th Jun 2004
Here's the most comprehensive list of ways to fix your problem:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...22&Product=out

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Jeffrey Gerber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:253201c4520a$90042d80$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sorry, I have tried it. Exactly as shown. And it does NOT
> work for me. Really, honestly, and truely. I created a
> new PST. I made it my default for incoming messages. I
> restarted Outlook. I go to the stuck outbox message. I
> right click. I select "Delete." Nothing happens. I right
> click on the Outbox folder. "Delete Folder" is greyed out.
>
> How is what I did any different than what's on the
> referenced web page?
>
> Thanks for your help, but it appears that the web page I'm
> seeing and what you think it says (e.g., it does NOT talk
> about creating a new profile) are not the same.

New Member

      17th Apr 2009
I had an 8MB message stuck in m Outbox for days.

Go to Send/Received status at the bottom right of the Outlook 2007 screen.

Click on Cancel sending.

And message instantly disappears from Outbox!