Unable to preview JPG File Attachments in Outlook 2007

DrPepsi

      26th Oct 2008
Just all of a sudden, out of the blue, I am no longer able to Preview JPG
file attachments in my Outlook 2007. I have always been able to do so, and I
receive a VERY healthy number of them in my work and hobbies. The only
thing(s) I can see that have changed on my system are the following:

- Download Services (MS) Has attempted and / or Downloaded Service Pack 3.0
SEVEN FLIPPING times in the past 12 days
- Downloaded and installed Google - Picassa Beta 3.0 (which seemed to
initially create problems for me in viewing PDF files in general - but a few
program settings / preferences in the Picasa Beta 3.0 and the PDF
Professional fixed that problem)

I am currently running Adobe Acrobat 8.1 and I can't seem to find any
setting in Adobe that are causing these problems. When I attempt to either
open or preview a JPG file all I get is an outlook preview pane full of code
garble (or if I attempt to open the file directly from the e-mail message it
pops up a notepad window full of code garble).

If anyone out there can offer some help, step, directions, instructions -
SOMETHING it would be greatly appreciated.

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

      27th Oct 2008
Why are you using acrobat to view JPG? What application is associated with
JPG files in windows explorer?

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:
(E-Mail Removed)

(E-Mail Removed)

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...s/default.mspx or point your
newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

"DrPepsi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just all of a sudden, out of the blue, I am no longer able to Preview JPG
> file attachments in my Outlook 2007. I have always been able to do so,
> and I
> receive a VERY healthy number of them in my work and hobbies. The only
> thing(s) I can see that have changed on my system are the following:
>
> - Download Services (MS) Has attempted and / or Downloaded Service Pack
> 3.0
> SEVEN FLIPPING times in the past 12 days
> - Downloaded and installed Google - Picassa Beta 3.0 (which seemed to
> initially create problems for me in viewing PDF files in general - but a
> few
> program settings / preferences in the Picasa Beta 3.0 and the PDF
> Professional fixed that problem)
>
> I am currently running Adobe Acrobat 8.1 and I can't seem to find any
> setting in Adobe that are causing these problems. When I attempt to
> either
> open or preview a JPG file all I get is an outlook preview pane full of
> code
> garble (or if I attempt to open the file directly from the e-mail message
> it
> pops up a notepad window full of code garble).
>
> If anyone out there can offer some help, step, directions, instructions -
> SOMETHING it would be greatly appreciated.

DrPepsi

      27th Oct 2008
I guess myabe my reference to Adobe is incorrect or cross confused with the
JPG and the PDF files not being viewable - for which I resolved the PDF
issues.

My problem is being able to preview JPG files . . . can anyone offer any
guidance on where to look, what to look for or what settings I need to adjust
/ change where.

You ask what application is associated with JPG files in Windows Explorer -
I don't know . . . how can I check this, as I am sure that if I can figure
out how to check, adjust or set this it may well be the solution to my
problem.

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:

> Why are you using acrobat to view JPG? What application is associated with
> JPG files in windows explorer?
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>
> Outlook Tips by email:
> (E-Mail Removed)

> (E-Mail Removed)

> http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...s/default.mspx or point your
> newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>

> "DrPepsi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Just all of a sudden, out of the blue, I am no longer able to Preview JPG
> > file attachments in my Outlook 2007. I have always been able to do so,
> > and I
> > receive a VERY healthy number of them in my work and hobbies. The only
> > thing(s) I can see that have changed on my system are the following:
> >
> > - Download Services (MS) Has attempted and / or Downloaded Service Pack
> > 3.0
> > SEVEN FLIPPING times in the past 12 days
> > - Downloaded and installed Google - Picassa Beta 3.0 (which seemed to
> > initially create problems for me in viewing PDF files in general - but a
> > few
> > program settings / preferences in the Picasa Beta 3.0 and the PDF
> > Professional fixed that problem)
> >
> > I am currently running Adobe Acrobat 8.1 and I can't seem to find any
> > setting in Adobe that are causing these problems. When I attempt to
> > either
> > open or preview a JPG file all I get is an outlook preview pane full of
> > code
> > garble (or if I attempt to open the file directly from the e-mail message
> > it
> > pops up a notepad window full of code garble).
> >
> > If anyone out there can offer some help, step, directions, instructions -
> > SOMETHING it would be greatly appreciated.

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

      27th Oct 2008
Double click on a jpg in windows explorer - what program does it open with?

--
> [...]

>> > initially create problems for me in viewing PDF files in general - but
>> > few
>> > program settings / preferences in the Picasa Beta 3.0 and the PDF
>> > Professional fixed that problem)
>> >
>> > I am currently running Adobe Acrobat 8.1 and I can't seem to find any
>> > setting in Adobe that are causing these problems. When I attempt to
>> > either
>> > open or preview a JPG file all I get is an outlook preview pane full of
>> > code
>> > garble (or if I attempt to open the file directly from the e-mail
>> > message
>> > it
>> > pops up a notepad window full of code garble).
>> >
>> > If anyone out there can offer some help, step, directions,
>> > instructions -
>> > SOMETHING it would be greatly appreciated.

When opening a JPG file from the Windows Explorer it launches the file in the
Picasa (Beta 3) program - how do I change it so that it uses a 'core'
program, such as Windows Picture & Fax or Microsoft Digital Image Editor?