Unable to open image editing program from Windows Picture & Fax Viewer

Julie Miles

      1st Aug 2005
I hope this is the right newsgroup for this type of question...

A while ago I disabled WP&FV as the default program for opening image
files, and quickly wished I hadn't - if all I want to do is open the
file to look at it, my main photo editing software (PSP 9) takes far
too long to load. I found a utility that restored WP&FV as the
default, but now the "Open image for editing" function is broken...
instead of opening PSP 9, it opens the "Move Items" dialog box. When
I click Cancel, the Move Items dialog closes and the "Copy Items"
dialog opens... and when I click Cancel on that, the show's over -
WP&FV closes.

Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this? I've tried Googling,
but all I can find is articles on how to disable or restore WP&FV as
the default viewer.

John Inzer

      2nd Aug 2005
Maybe the following links will be useful:

Repair image file type associations in Windows XP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/imgassofix.htm

Change the default image editor application,
invoked from Windows Picture and Fax Viewer
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/imgeditor.htm

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! MVP

"Julie Miles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I hope this is the right newsgroup for this type of question...
>
> A while ago I disabled WP&FV as the default program for opening image
> files, and quickly wished I hadn't - if all I want to do is open the
> file to look at it, my main photo editing software (PSP 9) takes far
> too long to load. I found a utility that restored WP&FV as the
> default, but now the "Open image for editing" function is broken...
> instead of opening PSP 9, it opens the "Move Items" dialog box. When
> I click Cancel, the Move Items dialog closes and the "Copy Items"
> dialog opens... and when I click Cancel on that, the show's over -
> WP&FV closes.
>
> Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this? I've tried Googling,
> but all I can find is articles on how to disable or restore WP&FV as
> the default viewer.

Julie Miles

      2nd Aug 2005
says...
> Maybe the following links will be useful:
>
> Repair image file type associations in Windows XP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/imgassofix.htm
>
> Change the default image editor application,
> invoked from Windows Picture and Fax Viewer
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/imgeditor.htm

Thanks for the links, John - I thought the second looked like exactly
what I needed, but it didn't work. PSP 9 was already set for the
registry key specified, and there's no change to the behaviour of the
"Open for editing" button in WP&FV.

John Inzer

      2nd Aug 2005
"Julie Miles" wrote:
> Thanks for the links, John - I thought the second looked like exactly
> what I needed, but it didn't work. PSP 9 was already set for the
> registry key specified, and there's no change to the behaviour of the
> "Open for editing" button in WP&FV.

===============================
What program do you want to open when
you click the *Edit* button in Windows Picture
and Fax Viewer?

I thought you did *not* want PSP9?

You have to set it to the program you *do* want.

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! MVP

Ramesh, MS-MVP

      2nd Aug 2005
>> it opens the "Move Items" dialog box. When I click Cancel, the Move Items
>> dialog closes and the "Copy Items" dialog opens... a

CAUSE

The Copy to and Move to Folder options weren't designed to be on the context
menu. For a complete explanation, see this page - by Raymond Chen [MS]

The Old New Thing : What goes wrong when you add "Copy To" to the context
menu:
http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/ar.../02/66160.aspx

Problem will be resolved once these context entries are removed. The entry
might be present here:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ AllFilesystemObjects \ shellex \ ContextMenuHandlers

NOTE: Before you modify a registry key, make a backup by exporting to a REG
file.

Delete these two items:
{C2FBB630-2971-11d1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}
{C2FBB631-2971-11d1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}

{C2FBB630-2971-11d1-A18C-00C04FD75D13} is the Microsoft CopyTo Service
{C2FBB631-2971-11d1-A18C-00C04FD75D13} is the Microsoft MoveTo Service

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"Julie Miles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I hope this is the right newsgroup for this type of question...
>
> A while ago I disabled WP&FV as the default program for opening image
> files, and quickly wished I hadn't - if all I want to do is open the
> file to look at it, my main photo editing software (PSP 9) takes far
> too long to load. I found a utility that restored WP&FV as the
> default, but now the "Open image for editing" function is broken...
> instead of opening PSP 9, it opens the "Move Items" dialog box. When
> I click Cancel, the Move Items dialog closes and the "Copy Items"
> dialog opens... and when I click Cancel on that, the show's over -
> WP&FV closes.
>
> Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this? I've tried Googling,
> but all I can find is articles on how to disable or restore WP&FV as
> the default viewer.

Julie Miles

      6th Aug 2005
says...
> "Julie Miles" wrote:
> > Thanks for the links, John - I thought the second looked like exactly
> > what I needed, but it didn't work. PSP 9 was already set for the
> > registry key specified, and there's no change to the behaviour of the
> > "Open for editing" button in WP&FV.

> ===============================
> What program do you want to open when
> you click the *Edit* button in Windows Picture
> and Fax Viewer?
>
> I thought you did *not* want PSP9?
>
> You have to set it to the program you *do* want.

Sorry for the confusion... yes, I *do* want the edit button to invoke
PSP9, but that's the program that was already specified in the
registry key.

Julie Miles

      6th Aug 2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> >> it opens the "Move Items" dialog box. When I click Cancel, the Move Items
> >> dialog closes and the "Copy Items" dialog opens... a

> CAUSE
>
> The Copy to and Move to Folder options weren't designed to be on the context
> menu. For a complete explanation, see this page - by Raymond Chen [MS]
>
> The Old New Thing : What goes wrong when you add "Copy To" to the context
> menu:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/ar.../02/66160.aspx
>
> Problem will be resolved once these context entries are removed. The entry
> might be present here:
>
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ AllFilesystemObjects \ shellex \ ContextMenuHandlers
>
> NOTE: Before you modify a registry key, make a backup by exporting to a REG
> file.
>
> Delete these two items:
> {C2FBB630-2971-11d1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}
> {C2FBB631-2971-11d1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}
>
> {C2FBB630-2971-11d1-A18C-00C04FD75D13} is the Microsoft CopyTo Service
> {C2FBB631-2971-11d1-A18C-00C04FD75D13} is the Microsoft MoveTo Service

Thank you... I deleted those two keys, and the Edit button no longer
brings up the Move/Copy dialog boxes... the bad news is that now it
just does nothing at all ;-(.

Ramesh, MS-MVP

      6th Aug 2005
Julie,

Which file-type is causing the problem? Can you export this key and post the
info here?

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\image]

It's also possible that a third-party shell extension is blocking the
function. In that case, I'd investigate using ShellExView utility. More on
that is available here: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm (follow
Method 2)

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"Julie Miles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...

>> CAUSE
>>
>> The Copy to and Move to Folder options weren't designed to be on the
>> context
>> menu. For a complete explanation, see this page - by Raymond Chen [MS]
>>
>> The Old New Thing : What goes wrong when you add "Copy To" to the context
>> menu:
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/ar.../02/66160.aspx
>>
>> Problem will be resolved once these context entries are removed. The
>> entry
>> might be present here:
>>
>> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ AllFilesystemObjects \ shellex \ ContextMenuHandlers
>>
>> NOTE: Before you modify a registry key, make a backup by exporting to a
>> REG
>> file.
>>
>> Delete these two items:
>> {C2FBB630-2971-11d1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}
>> {C2FBB631-2971-11d1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}
>>
>> {C2FBB630-2971-11d1-A18C-00C04FD75D13} is the Microsoft CopyTo Service
>> {C2FBB631-2971-11d1-A18C-00C04FD75D13} is the Microsoft MoveTo Service
>>

> Thank you... I deleted those two keys, and the Edit button no longer
> brings up the Move/Copy dialog boxes... the bad news is that now it
> just does nothing at all ;-(.

John Inzer

      6th Aug 2005
"Julie Miles" wrote:
> Sorry for the confusion... yes, I *do* want
> the edit button to invoke PSP9, but that's
> the program that was already specified in
> the registry key.

================================
If the info from Ramesh does not
solve the issue, try the following link:

Change the default image editor
application, invoked from Windows
Picture and Fax Viewer
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/imgeditor.htm

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! MVP
How to ask a newsgroup question:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

=?Utf-8?B?cGhvdG9sYWR5Nw==?=

      16th Oct 2005
Before installing PS CS2, I would have a selection pop up (generated with a
populated list of programs) to edit or open an image . Now, unless I already
have PS opened, it will not even show PS as a program to edit I have when
browsing when I want to work on an image. I never had this problem with PS7.
Any suggestions?
--
Appreciate any advice you can offer.

photolady7 ((E-Mail Removed))