Unable to install Microsoft TCP/IP Version 6 protocol

Mack

      19th Dec 2007
Whenever I attempt to install the install Microsoft TCP/IP Version 6 protocol
on WinXP Home SP2 either via the shell command "netsh interface ipv6 install"
or via LAN Properties>Install>Protocol>Add I receive the error "Could not add
the requested component. The error is: An extended error has occurred." Does
anybody know how I can resolve this so that I may successfully install the
IPv6 protocol ?

Thanks in advance, Mack.

Don

      23rd Dec 2007
I have the same problem. Hope someone will be able to help.

Thanks
Don

smiler

      5th Jan 2008
I have the same problem...no fix so far.

"Mack" wrote:

> Whenever I attempt to install the install Microsoft TCP/IP Version 6 protocol
> on WinXP Home SP2 either via the shell command "netsh interface ipv6 install"
> or via LAN Properties>Install>Protocol>Add I receive the error "Could not add
> the requested component. The error is: An extended error has occurred." Does
> anybody know how I can resolve this so that I may successfully install the
> IPv6 protocol ?
>
> Thanks in advance, Mack.

anders.tornkvist@gmail.com

      7th Jan 2008
On 5 Jan, 17:47, smiler <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have the same problem...no fix so far.
>
> "Mack" wrote:
> > Whenever I attempt to install the install Microsoft TCP/IP Version 6 protocol
> > on WinXP Home SP2 either via the shell command "netsh interface ipv6 install"
> > or via LAN Properties>Install>Protocol>Add I receive the error "Could not add
> > the requested component. The error is: An extended error has occurred." Does
> > anybody know how I can resolve this so that I may successfully install the
> > IPv6 protocol ?

> > Thanks in advance, Mack.

Hi, I had the same problem. I'm running Win XP (Pro) SP2. I fixed it
by enter the following command in the command prompt:
esentutl /p %windir%\security\Database\secedit.sdb
After that, installation of TCP/IP Version 6 worked fine.

Hope it will help someone,
Anders

Brian

      14th Mar 2008
That worked great... Thanks

"(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:

> Hi, I had the same problem. I'm running Win XP (Pro) SP2. I fixed it
> by enter the following command in the command prompt:
> esentutl /p %windir%\security\Database\secedit.sdb
> After that, installation of TCP/IP Version 6 worked fine.
>
> Hope it will help someone,
> Anders

ShayaKNYC

      2nd Apr 2008

> Hi, I had the same problem. I'm running Win XP (Pro) SP2. I fixed it
> by enter the following command in the command prompt:
> esentutl /p %windir%\security\Database\secedit.sdb
> After that, installation of TCP/IP Version 6 worked fine.
>
> Hope it will help someone,
> Anders

That's brilliant! It totally worked. I don't know all that much about the
"guts" of MS but could you explain exactly what that command-line program is
and what it is that it did that allowed my winxp home sp2 to install ipv6?

Zoran

      15th Oct 2008

"ShayaKNYC" wrote:

> > Hi, I had the same problem. I'm running Win XP (Pro) SP2. I fixed it
> > by enter the following command in the command prompt:
> > esentutl /p %windir%\security\Database\secedit.sdb
> > After that, installation of TCP/IP Version 6 worked fine.
> >
> > Hope it will help someone,
> > Anders

I have a SP3 and command worked just fine, thanx ANDERS

Travis

      19th Nov 2009
This worked like a charm for me, too!
Anders, you're a Scandinavian genius!
Now why hasn't Microsoft put something like this in their Knowledge Base?
I've been looking high & low for 3 days trying to track this down; thank God
I just happened to notice that I couldn't install TCP/IP 6 as well, but my
main concern was the Peer-to-Peer component in Windows Networking.
Many, many thanks!

"(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:

Hi, I had the same problem. I'm running Win XP (Pro) SP2. I fixed it
by enter the following command in the command prompt:
esentutl /p %windir%\security\Database\secedit.sdb
After that, installation of TCP/IP Version 6 worked fine.
Hope it will help someone,
Anders

Jack [MVP-Networking]

      19th Nov 2009

Hi
XP was released in 2001, At the time IPv6 was not a part of any mainstream
system.
E.g. Can you easily install new electronics gadgetry on a Car circa 2001.
Yes, if you are an avid self doer. No if you just go to the Dealer.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"Travis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This worked like a charm for me, too!
> Anders, you're a Scandinavian genius!
> Now why hasn't Microsoft put something like this in their Knowledge Base?
> I've been looking high & low for 3 days trying to track this down; thank
> God
> I just happened to notice that I couldn't install TCP/IP 6 as well, but my
> main concern was the Peer-to-Peer component in Windows Networking.
> Many, many thanks!
>
> "(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:
>
> Hi, I had the same problem. I'm running Win XP (Pro) SP2. I fixed it
> by enter the following command in the command prompt:
> esentutl /p %windir%\security\Database\secedit.sdb
> After that, installation of TCP/IP Version 6 worked fine.
> Hope it will help someone,
> Anders

Bruce Gavin

      28th Nov 2009
Thanks for the great tip.

I was reinstalling a broken IP stack as per TID 325356 and it failed with "an extended error has occurred."

Running Ander's command line did the trick.
Another entry added to my bag of tricks... many thanks.

anders.tornkvis wrote:

Re: Unable to install Microsoft TCP/IP Version 6 protocol
08-Jan-08

On 5 Jan, 17:47, smiler <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

Hi, I had the same problem. I'm running Win XP (Pro) SP2. I fixed it
by enter the following command in the command prompt:
esentutl /p %windir%\security\Database\secedit.sdb
After that, installation of TCP/IP Version 6 worked fine.

Hope it will help someone,
Anders

On Wednesday, December 19, 2007 3:04 AM
Mac wrote:

Unable to install Microsoft TCP/IP Version 6 protocol
Whenever I attempt to install the install Microsoft TCP/IP Version 6 protocol
on WinXP Home SP2 either via the shell command "netsh interface ipv6 install"
or via LAN Properties>Install>Protocol>Add I receive the error "Could not add
the requested component. The error is: An extended error has occurred." Does
anybody know how I can resolve this so that I may successfully install the
IPv6 protocol ?

Thanks in advance, Mack.

On Sunday, December 23, 2007 5:39 AM
Do wrote:

I have the same problem. Hope someone will be able to help.ThanksDon
I have the same problem. Hope someone will be able to help.

Thanks
Don

On Saturday, January 05, 2008 11:47 AM
smile wrote:

RE: Unable to install Microsoft TCP/IP Version 6 protocol
I have the same problem...no fix so far.

"Mack" wrote:

On Tuesday, January 08, 2008 2:22 AM
anders.tornkvis wrote:

Re: Unable to install Microsoft TCP/IP Version 6 protocol
On 5 Jan, 17:47, smiler <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

Hi, I had the same problem. I'm running Win XP (Pro) SP2. I fixed it
by enter the following command in the command prompt:
esentutl /p %windir%\security\Database\secedit.sdb
After that, installation of TCP/IP Version 6 worked fine.

Hope it will help someone,
Anders

On Friday, March 14, 2008 6:21 PM
Bria wrote:

Re: Unable to install Microsoft TCP/IP Version 6 protocol
That worked great... Thanks

On Wednesday, April 02, 2008 2:43 AM
ShayaKNY wrote:

That's brilliant!
That's brilliant! It totally worked. I don't know all that much about the
"guts" of MS but could you explain exactly what that command-line program is
and what it is that it did that allowed my winxp home sp2 to install ipv6?

"ShayaKNYC" wrote:

I have a SP3 and command worked just fine, thanx ANDERS

On Friday, March 20, 2009 1:13 PM
murdok_w7 wrote:

Re: Unable to install Microsoft TCP/IP Version 6 protocol
WELL AFTER A YEAR IT STILL HELPS, THANKS A BUNCH ANDERS

On Thursday, November 19, 2009 7:48 AM
Travis wrote:

Unable To Install Microsoft Peer-to-Peer Networking & TCP/IP Versi
This worked like a charm for me, too!
Anders, you are a Scandinavian genius!
Now why has not Microsoft put something like this in their Knowledge Base?
I have been looking high & low for 3 days trying to track this down; thank God
I just happened to notice that I could not install TCP/IP 6 as well, but my
main concern was the Peer-to-Peer component in Windows Networking.
Many, many thanks!

Hi, I had the same problem. I am running Win XP (Pro) SP2. I fixed it
by enter the following command in the command prompt:
esentutl /p %windir%\security\Database\secedit.sdb
After that, installation of TCP/IP Version 6 worked fine.
Hope it will help someone,
Anders

On Thursday, November 19, 2009 12:34 PM
Jack [MVP-Networking] wrote:

HiXP was released in 2001, At the time IPv6 was not a part of any
Hi
XP was released in 2001, At the time IPv6 was not a part of any mainstream
system.
E.g. Can you easily install new electronics gadgetry on a Car circa 2001.
Yes, if you are an avid self doer. No if you just go to the Dealer.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

C# Multipart MIME Encoding Library using CDO
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...e-encodin.aspx