unable to install imaging devices after WinXp REINSTALLATION

=?Utf-8?B?Qm9iIEZpc2hlcg==?=

      5th Oct 2004
Hi,

I have a Dell Inspiron 1100 and reinstalled XP Home edition with quick
formating the hard drive. Everything went well. When I tried to install a PC
camera, the wizard detected it but "Found New Hardware Wizard" window gave me
a message:

Cannot install this hardware. There was a problem installing this hardware:
Creative WebCam Notebook.
An error occurred during the installation of the device. The required
section was not found in the INF.

I did and found the following.

1. The installation sequence was followed (no hook up before driver
installation).
2. The camera worked before reinstallation.
3. The camera has the NEWEST driver.
4. The other two cameras caused the same problem.
5. "Add device" in Scanners and Cameras in Control Panel does not respond to
double click.
6. No imaging device is defined in Device Manager List.
7. No camera defined in USBs' list.
8. No yellow question marks in the list.
9. Chipset and USB drivers are reinstalled.

Any advice of what to do?

Bob

Bob I

      6th Oct 2004
In device manager, View, Show Hidden. Is the "camera" there now? Also
the FAQ at creative might hold some answers about the ".inf" file.

Bob Fisher wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a Dell Inspiron 1100 and reinstalled XP Home edition with quick
> formating the hard drive. Everything went well. When I tried to install a PC
> camera, the wizard detected it but "Found New Hardware Wizard" window gave me
> a message:
>
> Cannot install this hardware. There was a problem installing this hardware:
> Creative WebCam Notebook.
> An error occurred during the installation of the device. The required
> section was not found in the INF.
>
> I did and found the following.
>
> 1. The installation sequence was followed (no hook up before driver
> installation).
> 2. The camera worked before reinstallation.
> 3. The camera has the NEWEST driver.
> 4. The other two cameras caused the same problem.
> 5. "Add device" in Scanners and Cameras in Control Panel does not respond to
> double click.
> 6. No imaging device is defined in Device Manager List.
> 7. No camera defined in USBs' list.
> 8. No yellow question marks in the list.
> 9. Chipset and USB drivers are reinstalled.
>
> Any advice of what to do?
>
> Bob

Bob Fisher

      6th Oct 2004
Thanks for your reply. The problem is solved and I share
it with the participants in the Newsgroup.

I looked at setupapi.log (in Windows)and found that,
immediately after plugging the camera to USB, the device
detection routine tries to look for a class key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\
{6BDD1FC6-810F-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}].

But it was missing in my registry. I went to see the
registry of my Win 2000 computer and found the key and
values for it. The key was exported from the Win 2000
computer and imported to my XP registry. This solved the
problem. Please see below the email of Mike
((E-Mail Removed)). He did not tell us why it works.
I hope this email of mine will help people who have the
similar problems and, at the same time, would be glad if
anyone explains to us the sequence of camera detection
algorithm.

Thanks.

Bob

Message 2 in thread
From: Mike ((E-Mail Removed))
Subject: Re: trouble installing hardware- the required
section was not found in the INF

View this article only
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Date: 2003-11-11 15:52:35 PST

"Neil Sabare" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in message news:<001c01c3a166$13844ec0$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> To whomever can help, I am trying to install four pieces
> of hardware to my Dell system via USB port.
>
> - Kodak Digital Camera: DX3500
> - Samsung Digital Camcorder: SCD23
> - Logitech Webcam: Pro 4000
> - Snapscan Scanner: E40
>
> None of these hardware are able to install: I have used
> the installation disks for all of them and tried the add
> new hardware wizard and EVERY time it comes up with the
> error; "the required section was not found in the INF"

I got the same error message when installing my SCD23 and
Nogatech tv
tuner. I aded this registry key (without the quotes) and
the problem
went away for both devices!

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\
{6BDD1FC6-810F-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}]
"Class"="Image"
"@"="Imaging devices"
"Installer32"="sti_ci.dll,ClassInstall"
"TroubleShooter-0"="hcp://help/tshoot/tsInputDev.htm"
"Icon"="0"

Be carefull editing the registry and good luck.