Unable to get Asian IME to show asian characters...

Ant

      4th Apr 2004
Hello!

I am helping my father to set up his new Windows XP Media Center (with
all updates; Toshiba OEM) to support Asian IME and characters. I
installed IME stuff and fonts/characters (through IE6), set up Office
Language Settings, and tested Chinese, Japanese, and Korean (East Asian
characters) files in Internet Explorer v6.0 SP1 (all updates). We can
see the characters perfectly on Web sites for reading.

Now, the problem is typing Asian characters in Wordpad, MS Works' Word
Processor, Office 2003 (Word and PowerPoint mostly), etc. We selected
Chinese in Language Bar and a Chinese font name (MingLiu or something).
I even tried using Office 2003's drawing pad, and it didn't recognize
the writings to convert to an Asian computer character.

In MS Office's Help, it noted global IME for Office 2003. I do not see
this on Office 2003 Update and Downloads sites. Did I miss something?
Setting for IME, installing Asian stuff, and using it in Windows 2000
SP4 and with Office 2002/XP was a piece of cake.

Thank you in advance.
--
"Bother," said Winnie the Pooh, as the ants devoured him.
/\___/\
| |o o| | E-mail: (E-Mail Removed)NT or (E-Mail Removed)
\ _ / Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
( )

JEM

      4th Apr 2004
start>control panel>regional settings and language>languages>install files
for east asian languages> you'll be promped for the CD.
After the install from the same screen > details > installed services (make
sure the keyboard layout for XX language appears... or > add > add the
support.
after that you should have a language bar appear on the screen or in the
task bar (task bar [EN] clickon it and choose xx language.....

"Ant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello!
>
> I am helping my father to set up his new Windows XP Media Center (with
> all updates; Toshiba OEM) to support Asian IME and characters. I
> installed IME stuff and fonts/characters (through IE6), set up Office
> Language Settings, and tested Chinese, Japanese, and Korean (East Asian
> characters) files in Internet Explorer v6.0 SP1 (all updates). We can
> see the characters perfectly on Web sites for reading.
>
> Now, the problem is typing Asian characters in Wordpad, MS Works' Word
> Processor, Office 2003 (Word and PowerPoint mostly), etc. We selected
> Chinese in Language Bar and a Chinese font name (MingLiu or something).
> I even tried using Office 2003's drawing pad, and it didn't recognize
> the writings to convert to an Asian computer character.
>
> In MS Office's Help, it noted global IME for Office 2003. I do not see
> this on Office 2003 Update and Downloads sites. Did I miss something?
> Setting for IME, installing Asian stuff, and using it in Windows 2000
> SP4 and with Office 2002/XP was a piece of cake.
>
> Thank you in advance.
> --
> "Bother," said Winnie the Pooh, as the ants devoured him.
> /\___/\
> / /\ /\ \ Phillip Pi (Ant); The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
> | |o o| | E-mail: (E-Mail Removed)NT or (E-Mail Removed)
> \ _ / Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
> ( )

Ant

      4th Apr 2004
On 4/4/2004 4:37 AM PT, JEM wrote:

> start>control panel>regional settings and language>languages>install files
> for east asian languages> you'll be promped for the CD.

Isn't this the same as downloading Asian languages through Internet
Explorer when it finds a foreign site (e.g., Chinese)? Since XP is an
OEM version, I do not have a CD for XP Media Center. How would I get
around this?

> After the install from the same screen > details > installed services (make
> sure the keyboard layout for XX language appears... or > add > add the
> support.
> after that you should have a language bar appear on the screen or in the
> task bar (task bar [EN] clickon it and choose xx language.....

Yes, I have this. Also Korean and Japanese listed.

--
"I got this aunt... Carpenter ant." --Girl and Crow
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phillip Pi (Ant); The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
| |o o| | E-mail: (E-Mail Removed)NT or (E-Mail Removed)
\ _ / Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
( )

JEM

      4th Apr 2004
I beleive the language packs you download allow you to view, not input.

The files you need should be on the OEM recovery disk or the disk image
store on a separate partition of your computer.

These are the links to download the full IME for Chinese from MS

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...197-FFA7-45A7-
B1E1-C3457E1B0C1F&displaylang=EN

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...2A2-FAC3-4443-
999B-8BE12734A596&displaylang=EN

"Ant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:##(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 4/4/2004 4:37 AM PT, JEM wrote:
>

> > start>control panel>regional settings and language>languages>install

files
> > for east asian languages> you'll be promped for the CD.

> Isn't this the same as downloading Asian languages through Internet
> Explorer when it finds a foreign site (e.g., Chinese)? Since XP is an
> OEM version, I do not have a CD for XP Media Center. How would I get
> around this?
>

> > After the install from the same screen > details > installed services

(make
> > sure the keyboard layout for XX language appears... or > add > add the
> > support.
> > after that you should have a language bar appear on the screen or in the
> > task bar (task bar [EN] clickon it and choose xx language.....

> Yes, I have this. Also Korean and Japanese listed.
>

> >>Hello!
> >>
> >>I am helping my father to set up his new Windows XP Media Center (with
> >>all updates; Toshiba OEM) to support Asian IME and characters. I
> >>installed IME stuff and fonts/characters (through IE6), set up Office
> >>Language Settings, and tested Chinese, Japanese, and Korean (East Asian
> >>characters) files in Internet Explorer v6.0 SP1 (all updates). We can
> >>see the characters perfectly on Web sites for reading.
> >>
> >>Now, the problem is typing Asian characters in Wordpad, MS Works' Word
> >>Processor, Office 2003 (Word and PowerPoint mostly), etc. We selected
> >>Chinese in Language Bar and a Chinese font name (MingLiu or something).
> >> I even tried using Office 2003's drawing pad, and it didn't recognize
> >>the writings to convert to an Asian computer character.
> >>
> >>In MS Office's Help, it noted global IME for Office 2003. I do not see
> >>this on Office 2003 Update and Downloads sites. Did I miss something?
> >>Setting for IME, installing Asian stuff, and using it in Windows 2000
> >>SP4 and with Office 2002/XP was a piece of cake.
> >>
> >>Thank you in advance.
> >>--
> >>"Bother," said Winnie the Pooh, as the ants devoured him.
> >> /\___/\
> >> / /\ /\ \ Phillip Pi (Ant); The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
> >> \ _ / Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
> >> ( )

> --
> "I got this aunt... Carpenter ant." --Girl and Crow
> /\___/\
> / /\ /\ \ Phillip Pi (Ant); The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
> | |o o| | E-mail: (E-Mail Removed)NT or (E-Mail Removed)
> \ _ / Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
> ( )

CS

      4th Apr 2004
On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 05:12:53 -0700, Ant <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

Ant:

It's not necessary to download Asian IMEs if you have a retail or full
OEM copy of XP as the various Asian IMEs (and many others) are already
on the CD. As a matter of fact, downloading and installing IMEs can
prevent you from properly using the language correctly - which may
have happened in your situation. The downloadable IMEs are for Win9X
and older versions of Office.

Since it's almost impossible to remove an IME once installed, I
suggest you go to the following web site and follow the instructions
given for Asian language installation both for XP and MS Office.
Perhaps you can figure out what's wrong.

http://members.aol.com/ncc1701mkii/

>On 4/4/2004 4:37 AM PT, JEM wrote:
>

>> start>control panel>regional settings and language>languages>install files
>> for east asian languages> you'll be promped for the CD.

>Isn't this the same as downloading Asian languages through Internet
>Explorer when it finds a foreign site (e.g., Chinese)? Since XP is an
>OEM version, I do not have a CD for XP Media Center. How would I get
>around this?
>

>> After the install from the same screen > details > installed services (make
>> sure the keyboard layout for XX language appears... or > add > add the
>> support.
>> after that you should have a language bar appear on the screen or in the
>> task bar (task bar [EN] clickon it and choose xx language.....

>Yes, I have this. Also Korean and Japanese listed.
>

>>>Hello!
>>>
>>>I am helping my father to set up his new Windows XP Media Center (with
>>>all updates; Toshiba OEM) to support Asian IME and characters. I
>>>installed IME stuff and fonts/characters (through IE6), set up Office
>>>Language Settings, and tested Chinese, Japanese, and Korean (East Asian
>>>characters) files in Internet Explorer v6.0 SP1 (all updates). We can
>>>see the characters perfectly on Web sites for reading.
>>>
>>>Now, the problem is typing Asian characters in Wordpad, MS Works' Word
>>>Processor, Office 2003 (Word and PowerPoint mostly), etc. We selected
>>>Chinese in Language Bar and a Chinese font name (MingLiu or something).
>>> I even tried using Office 2003's drawing pad, and it didn't recognize
>>>the writings to convert to an Asian computer character.
>>>
>>>In MS Office's Help, it noted global IME for Office 2003. I do not see
>>>this on Office 2003 Update and Downloads sites. Did I miss something?
>>>Setting for IME, installing Asian stuff, and using it in Windows 2000
>>>SP4 and with Office 2002/XP was a piece of cake.
>>>
>>>Thank you in advance.
>>>--
>>>"Bother," said Winnie the Pooh, as the ants devoured him.
>>> /\___/\
>>> / /\ /\ \ Phillip Pi (Ant); The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
>>> \ _ / Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
>>> ( )

Ant

      4th Apr 2004
On 4/4/2004 5:23 AM PT, JEM wrote:

> I beleive the language packs you download allow you to view, not input.
>
> The files you need should be on the OEM recovery disk or the disk image
> store on a separate partition of your computer.
>
> These are the links to download the full IME for Chinese from MS
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...197-FFA7-45A7-
> B1E1-C3457E1B0C1F&displaylang=EN
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...2A2-FAC3-4443-
> 999B-8BE12734A596&displaylang=EN
>

> "Ant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:##(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>On 4/4/2004 4:37 AM PT, JEM wrote:
>>

>>>start>control panel>regional settings and language>languages>install

> files
>
>>>for east asian languages> you'll be promped for the CD.

>>Isn't this the same as downloading Asian languages through Internet
>>Explorer when it finds a foreign site (e.g., Chinese)? Since XP is an
>>OEM version, I do not have a CD for XP Media Center. How would I get
>>around this?
>>

>>>After the install from the same screen > details > installed services

> (make
>
>>>sure the keyboard layout for XX language appears... or > add > add the
>>>support.
>>>after that you should have a language bar appear on the screen or in the
>>>task bar (task bar [EN] clickon it and choose xx language.....

>>Yes, I have this. Also Korean and Japanese listed.

OK, I will try that again and those links if the first one didn't work.
--
"I like ants, in chocolate. Crunch, hummmm." --unknown
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phillip Pi (Ant); The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
| |o o| | E-mail: (E-Mail Removed)NT or (E-Mail Removed)
\ _ / Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
( )

Ant

      4th Apr 2004
Wait, are these downloadable IME files compatible with Office 2003? It
looks like they are only for Office 2002/XP. I do not want to hose the
XP system with the incorrect versions.

--
"I like ants, in chocolate. Crunch, hummmm." --unknown
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phillip Pi (Ant); The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
| |o o| | E-mail: (E-Mail Removed)NT or (E-Mail Removed)
\ _ / Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
( )

Ant

      4th Apr 2004
Thank you for the tips, CS!

I was just reading it and noticed in
http://members.aol.com/ncc1701mkii/dlg_east.JPG screen shot, "Install
files for East Asian languages" was already checked. Is there a group of
files to check to see if these East Asian languages are actually installed?

I do have "Texts Services and Input Lanaguages"
(http://members.aol.com/ncc1701mkii/dlg_lang.JPG) and "Language Bar"
(http://members.aol.com/ncc1701mkii/langbar2.JPG) showing Chinese
(Simplified and Traditional), Japanese, and Korean. I wonder if the IME
installation and setup went bad. Then, it is not possible to uninstall
according to your link (DOH!).

We use keyboard to input Asian characters on Windows 2000 system with
Office 2000. We are trying to replicate this setup in XP. XP should be
the same, right?

--
"I like ants, in chocolate. Crunch, hummmm." --unknown
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phillip Pi (Ant); The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
| |o o| | E-mail: (E-Mail Removed)NT or (E-Mail Removed)
\ _ / Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
( )

Ant

      5th Apr 2004
FINALLY, I got it to work! It looked like I had to add more keyboard
layout/IME options for "Add Input Language" screen. I guess the defaults
additions were not enough because I didn't see all those fancy features
in Language Bar for Chinese language. I don't remember having to add a
lot of options for Windows 2000 with Office 2000.

How come there is no writing option like English with its drawing pad
option? It is greyed out.

--
"I go out of my way to avoid stepping on ants." --Terry McGovern,
daughter of Senator George and Eleanor McGovern, subject of the book
/ /\ /\ \ Phillip Pi (Ant); The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
| |o o| | E-mail: (E-Mail Removed)NT or (E-Mail Removed)
\ _ / Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
( )

=?Utf-8?B?U3RhbmxleQ==?=

      20th Jun 2004
I had the same problem and this helps me a lot. Thank you!

« Password | SP2 »