The Ultimate Fuel Logbook and Mileage Spreadsheet

five

      13th Sep 2003
http://web.newsguy.com/steve-makohin...elLogbook.html

"The Ultimate Fuel Logbook and Mileage Spreadsheet was born from a desire to
keep track of a car's fuel economy. Over time, it evolved into a
professional-quality, sophisticated, yet very intuitive and flexible tool
for tracking and analysing a vehicle's fuel consumption.

The entire suite of services is delivered as a single Microsoft Excel
workbook (free) that can run on any Windows PC or compatible running
Microsoft Excel 95 or later, and any Macintosh or compatible running Excel
5.0 or later."

DC

      14th Sep 2003
On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 22:48:52 +0100, five <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> http://web.newsguy.com/steve-makohin...elLogbook.html
>
> "The Ultimate Fuel Logbook and Mileage Spreadsheet was born from a desire to
> keep track of a car's fuel economy. Over time, it evolved into a
> professional-quality, sophisticated, yet very intuitive and flexible tool
> for tracking and analysing a vehicle's fuel consumption.
>
> The entire suite of services is delivered as a single Microsoft Excel
> workbook (free) that can run on any Windows PC or compatible running
> Microsoft Excel 95 or later, and any Macintosh or compatible running Excel
> 5.0 or later."

Interesting. In attempting to open with OO.org, Gnumeric and KSpread,
all 4 files contained in the .zip appear to be password protected.

Yet, from the web site:

<q>
The Ultimate Fuel Logbook and Mileage Spreadsheet is 100% free. You may
use and distribute it freely, free of charge. No warrantees exist,
expressed or implied.
</q>

Can anyone confirm? }:O\

--
DC

Microsoft is not the answer, it is the question. The answer is NO.

delete

      14th Sep 2003
DC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Interesting. In attempting to open with OO.org, Gnumeric and KSpread,
> all 4 files contained in the .zip appear to be password protected.
>

> Can anyone confirm? }:O\

Downloaded and opened ok here using Win2k, Office XP. No password required
although they do have macros which may be incompatible.

Dixon Butz

      14th Sep 2003
On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 01:29:35 GMT, delete <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>DC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Interesting. In attempting to open with OO.org, Gnumeric and KSpread,
>> all 4 files contained in the .zip appear to be password protected.
>>

>> Can anyone confirm? }:O\
>>

>Downloaded and opened ok here using Win2k, Office XP. No password required
>although they do have macros which may be incompatible.

It has a Excel book protection password(6b1b7b3b1b3b5).

DC

      16th Sep 2003
On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 01:29:35 GMT, delete <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> DC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Interesting. In attempting to open with OO.org, Gnumeric and KSpread,
>> all 4 files contained in the .zip appear to be password protected.
>>
>> Can anyone confirm? }:O\

> Downloaded and opened ok here using Win2k, Office XP. No password required
> although they do have macros which may be incompatible.

Here is the error I get. Could a macro possibly cause this?

http://m0053m4n.tripod.com/screens/OpenOffice_error.png

Weird.

--

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 22:01:59 -0400, Dixon Butz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 01:29:35 GMT, delete <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>DC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> Interesting. In attempting to open with OO.org, Gnumeric and KSpread,
>>> all 4 files contained in the .zip appear to be password protected.
>>>
>>> Can anyone confirm? }:O\

>>Downloaded and opened ok here using Win2k, Office XP. No password required
>>although they do have macros which may be incompatible.

> It has a Excel book protection password(6b1b7b3b1b3b5).

Could you explain how this helps? Does it allow you to access the file
in any of the aforementioned spreadsheet apps?

Thank you.

--

On 16 Sep 2003 04:20:13 GMT, DC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 22:01:59 -0400, Dixon Butz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 01:29:35 GMT, delete <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>DC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed):

>>>Downloaded and opened ok here using Win2k, Office XP. No password required
>>>although they do have macros which may be incompatible.

>> It has a Excel book protection password(6b1b7b3b1b3b5).
>>

>Could you explain how this helps? Does it allow you to access the file
>in any of the aforementioned spreadsheet apps?
>
>Thank you.

This type of password does not prevent it from opening. It prevents
the user from making changes to the formulas and code. It opens fine
is MS Excel.

DC

      17th Sep 2003
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 08:01:08 -0400, Dixon Butz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 16 Sep 2003 04:20:13 GMT, DC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> It has a Excel book protection password(6b1b7b3b1b3b5).
>>>

>>Could you explain how this helps? Does it allow you to access the file
>>in any of the aforementioned spreadsheet apps?
>>
>>Thank you.

> This type of password does not prevent it from opening. It prevents
> the user from making changes to the formulas and code.

I see.

> It opens fine is MS Excel.

This doesn't answer the more important of my two questions,
unfortunately.