PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread

ULS on a split DB

 
 
UsenetUser
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      5th Dec 2009
I'm a little confused about where to apply ULS on a split db.

Say I have a Data Entry group that I want to restrict to inserting
records only on a table. What permissions do I assign the group, the
FE query, and the BE table?

Also, is there a way to create a MDW file in Access 2007?

Thanks.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Joan Wild
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      5th Dec 2009
You can give the Data Entry group Insert Data permission on the FE
query. That and at least open permission on the FE Database Object and
open permission on the form based on your query, and open permission on
the BE Database Object. Save this query with the RWOP (run with owner
permission) property set to Owner and that's all they'd need.

You can only create a MDW file in 2007 if you are using the mdb file
format. If you use the accdb format, then security is not available.

Joan Wild


UsenetUser wrote:
> I'm a little confused about where to apply ULS on a split db.
>
> Say I have a Data Entry group that I want to restrict to inserting
> records only on a table. What permissions do I assign the group, the
> FE query, and the BE table?
>
> Also, is there a way to create a MDW file in Access 2007?
>
> Thanks.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
UsenetUser
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      8th Dec 2009
Hi Joan,

Thanks for the reply.

Who owns the query in this example - the person/group that created it
or the Data Entry group?

I don't see where (or perhaps don't understand how) to create the mdw
file in Access 2007. I understand the db itself has to be mdb.


On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 11:00:04 -0500, Joan Wild <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>You can give the Data Entry group Insert Data permission on the FE
>query. That and at least open permission on the FE Database Object and
>open permission on the form based on your query, and open permission on
>the BE Database Object. Save this query with the RWOP (run with owner
>permission) property set to Owner and that's all they'd need.
>
>You can only create a MDW file in 2007 if you are using the mdb file
>format. If you use the accdb format, then security is not available.
>
>Joan Wild
>
>
>UsenetUser wrote:
>> I'm a little confused about where to apply ULS on a split db.
>>
>> Say I have a Data Entry group that I want to restrict to inserting
>> records only on a table. What permissions do I assign the group, the
>> FE query, and the BE table?
>>
>> Also, is there a way to create a MDW file in Access 2007?
>>
>> Thanks.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Joan Wild
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      8th Dec 2009
The person who created the query is the owner. When you set the query
to RWOP, then users who run the query will do so as though the owner
were running it - more info at www.jmwild.com/RWOP.htm

I believe you need to start the workgroup administrator via code (hit
Ctrl-G and then...)

DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdWorkgroupAdministrator

Joan Wild
Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.


UsenetUser wrote:
> Hi Joan,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Who owns the query in this example - the person/group that created it
> or the Data Entry group?
>
> I don't see where (or perhaps don't understand how) to create the mdw
> file in Access 2007. I understand the db itself has to be mdb.
>
>
> On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 11:00:04 -0500, Joan Wild <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> You can give the Data Entry group Insert Data permission on the FE
>> query. That and at least open permission on the FE Database Object and
>> open permission on the form based on your query, and open permission on
>> the BE Database Object. Save this query with the RWOP (run with owner
>> permission) property set to Owner and that's all they'd need.
>>
>> You can only create a MDW file in 2007 if you are using the mdb file
>> format. If you use the accdb format, then security is not available.
>>
>> Joan Wild
>>
>>
>> UsenetUser wrote:
>>> I'm a little confused about where to apply ULS on a split db.
>>>
>>> Say I have a Data Entry group that I want to restrict to inserting
>>> records only on a table. What permissions do I assign the group, the
>>> FE query, and the BE table?
>>>
>>> Also, is there a way to create a MDW file in Access 2007?
>>>
>>> Thanks.

 
Reply With Quote
 
UsenetUser
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10th Dec 2009
On Tue, 08 Dec 2009 17:51:22 -0500, Joan Wild <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>
>Joan Wild
>Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.


My 9 dogs think I am a gruff old guy that does not feed them nearly
enough, hogging all the good stuff like fried chicken for myself, gets
unreasonably upset when they steal food from the kitchen table the
moment my back is turned, and torments them with vaccination
injections at the vet's!

Back to business: I guess I do not understand the value of RWOP
queries (or query permissions in general) to control permissons, over
setting permissions on the tables themselves. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Keith Wilby
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10th Dec 2009
"UsenetUser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> Back to business: I guess I do not understand the value of RWOP
> queries (or query permissions in general) to control permissons, over
> setting permissions on the tables themselves. Any thoughts on that?
>
>


Have a read of the FAQ on ULS from MS, there's a link to it on my web site.
Everything you need to know about ULS is in there and none of it is waffle.

Keith.
www.keithwilby.co.uk

 
Reply With Quote
 
Joan Wild
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10th Dec 2009


UsenetUser wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Dec 2009 17:51:22 -0500, Joan Wild <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Joan Wild
>> Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

>
> My 9 dogs think I am a gruff old guy that does not feed them nearly
> enough, hogging all the good stuff like fried chicken for myself, gets
> unreasonably upset when they steal food from the kitchen table the
> moment my back is turned, and torments them with vaccination
> injections at the vet's!


Yeah but I bet they wag their tails off when they see you - you're a god
to them.

>
> Back to business: I guess I do not understand the value of RWOP
> queries (or query permissions in general) to control permissons, over
> setting permissions on the tables themselves. Any thoughts on that?


With RWOP queries you don't need to give the users any permissions on
the tables at all - so therefore they can't even open the tables
directly - you can limit the records they see in a query using criteria.

The users though, need some kind of permissions in order to
add/delete/update data in those tables. 'Run with owner permissions'
queries allow them to do that. It means, when the users runs the query
it does so 'as though the query owner runs it'. Since the query owner
presumably has permissions on the tables, then the query is able to run
against those tables. You need to set the permissions on the query that
you want the users to have. So the query owner may have
insert/update/delete permissions on the tables, but that doesn't mean
that the user running the query will have those same permissions. You
need to set permissions on the *query* to dictate what they can do. So
you might give them update permission on the query. Even though the
owner has add/delete/update permission on the tables, the user will only
be limited to update because that is the permission they have on the
query they are running.
 
Reply With Quote
 
UsenetUser
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11th Dec 2009

On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 12:45:40 -0000, "Keith Wilby" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"UsenetUser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> Back to business: I guess I do not understand the value of RWOP
>> queries (or query permissions in general) to control permissons, over
>> setting permissions on the tables themselves. Any thoughts on that?
>>
>>

>
>Have a read of the FAQ on ULS from MS, there's a link to it on my web site.
>Everything you need to know about ULS is in there and none of it is waffle.
>
>Keith.
>www.keithwilby.co.uk


Did that several times, Keith, and worked through some examples before
posting. I did not see anything in there on why controlling
permissions is better through queries than directly on the tables
(where it has to be adjusted in any case). It seems like a pretty
simple question.
 
Reply With Quote
 
UsenetUser
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11th Dec 2009
On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 10:31:36 -0500, Joan Wild <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Yeah but I bet they wag their tails off when they see you - you're a god
>to them.


Sure. I forgive them for stealing my food and (I think) they forgive
me for the injections. I even forgive the one that bites me every time
I have to hold her mouth closed for the vet to do her thing. Heck, us
gods have to be magnanimous!

>>
>> Back to business: I guess I do not understand the value of RWOP
>> queries (or query permissions in general) to control permissons, over
>> setting permissions on the tables themselves. Any thoughts on that?

>
>With RWOP queries you don't need to give the users any permissions on
>the tables at all - so therefore they can't even open the tables
>directly - you can limit the records they see in a query using criteria.
>
>The users though, need some kind of permissions in order to
>add/delete/update data in those tables. 'Run with owner permissions'
>queries allow them to do that. It means, when the users runs the query
>it does so 'as though the query owner runs it'. Since the query owner
>presumably has permissions on the tables, then the query is able to run
>against those tables. You need to set the permissions on the query that
>you want the users to have. So the query owner may have
>insert/update/delete permissions on the tables, but that doesn't mean
>that the user running the query will have those same permissions. You
>need to set permissions on the *query* to dictate what they can do. So
>you might give them update permission on the query. Even though the
>owner has add/delete/update permission on the tables, the user will only
>be limited to update because that is the permission they have on the
>query they are running.


Thanks for your patience. I do believe I got it now. This is where I
was hung up: "you don't need to give the users any permissions on
the tables at all"
 
Reply With Quote
 
UsenetUser
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      13th Dec 2009
On Tue, 08 Dec 2009 17:51:22 -0500, Joan Wild <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
>
>I believe you need to start the workgroup administrator via code (hit
>Ctrl-G and then...)
>
> DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdWorkgroupAdministrator
>


OK, but what about actually administering security once the mdw file
is created- setting permissions, group memberships, etc. I can't seem
to do much by opening the file directly.

Thanks.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
help with ULS wylie72@gmail.com Microsoft Access Security 3 5th May 2006 08:08 PM
Access ULS Wizard - Help! Dani Watts via AccessMonster.com Microsoft Access Form Coding 1 18th May 2005 02:57 AM
I want to implement ULS, one Q? ANSWER Microsoft Access Security 1 23rd Apr 2005 06:45 AM
suedo ULS =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQ=?= Microsoft Access Form Coding 3 20th Feb 2005 06:16 PM
ULS and Converting Down =?Utf-8?B?RGVyZWsgV2l0dG1hbg==?= Microsoft Access Security 7 8th Jan 2004 07:06 PM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:56 PM.