typical shelf or unused life for toner cartridges?

Jack Sala

      23rd Feb 2012
I purchased an HP 2420d laserjet back in 2005. I used it a lot from
2005-2007 and then only occasionally since about 2008. About 2010, I
started noticing very light print. I at first attributed this to the
transfer roller, which is one possibility the manual mentioned to replace,
and I replaced it a week ago. Same light print. On a whim, I decided to
purchase a new toner cartridge and install. Presto! Problem solved. Now I
have a question: what is the typical lifetime for either an unused
cartridge or one that only sees occasional use? The toner cartridge I
replaced had not begun to run out at all, in fact it had been sitting on the
shelf for 3-4 years.

Thanks.

David H. Lipman

      24th Feb 2012
From: "who where" <(E-Mail Removed)>

> On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 22:14:28 -0600, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net
> dot nz> wrote:
>
>> Toner cartridges definitely have a life. People differ enormously when
>> discussing this and most manufacturers give only a year or two. The problem is
>> usually with cartridges that have a built in drum like yours, the drum will
>> deteriorate even in darkness and definitely in the printer; the drum is
>> affected by light, even tiny amounts over time. Light print is nearly always
>> drum related in a HP printer.

> sorry to intervene in the O/P's thread ....
>
> Tony, we have a P1505N which has a nominal 1500 page @5% cartridge
> capability, and which reports about 400 left. The printed images are
> faint in the central 40% or so of the width. Is this likely to signal
> the same issue and resolution (replace cart)?

Yes. Did you shake the cartridge ?

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Bob Eager

      24th Feb 2012
On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 14:51:23 -0600, Tony wrote:

> who where <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 22:14:28 -0600, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net
>>dot nz> wrote:
>>
>>>Toner cartridges definitely have a life. People differ enormously when
>>>discussing this and most manufacturers give only a year or two. The
>>>problem is
>>>usually with cartridges that have a built in drum like yours, the drum
>>>will deteriorate even in darkness and definitely in the printer; the
>>>drum is affected by light, even tiny amounts over time. Light print is
>>>nearly always drum related in a HP printer.

>>sorry to intervene in the O/P's thread ....
>>
>>Tony, we have a P1505N which has a nominal 1500 page @5% cartridge
>>capability, and which reports about 400 left. The printed images are
>>faint in the central 40% or so of the width. Is this likely to signal
>>the same issue and resolution (replace cart)?

> Yes very likely. One of the factors can be the 5% coverage, if your
> printer has printed a greater than 5% average the cartridge will print
> light before the 1500 pages are done. Having said that, I would expect
> it to print light across the width of the page. Light printing in the
> middle of the page is normally caused by a worn drum requiring
> replacement of the cartridge (once more, that is in printers that use
> integrtated cartridges like yours). Tony

Or badly distributed remaining toner. Rock the cartridge back and forth a
few times and you'll often get a load more proper pages out.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org