Two problems with the ASUS k8v deluxe

Mike Henley

      24th Jun 2004
I'm having two problems with the ASUS k8v deluxe. My windows is fully
updated.

First, i have installed a third-party cpu-fan that's bigger and slower
(meant to be quieter), the stupid woman-voice keeps yelling every time
i restart the computer "CPU FAN FAILED!". Sometimes it's too startling
of a sudden especially when you keep your computer up for a few days
and forget about this warning. Add to it that when this happens i
usually have my speakers volume set to max. Which i suspect might've
disturbed my neighbours when i restarted at night.

Which brings us to the second problem, and that is why i have my
speakers volume set to max... the sound regularly just goes to almost
muted. Not exactly muted, because there's still sound, but you really
have to turn the analog dial on the speakers themselves to max, and
set all the applications and operating system sound to max too to hear
it. And even then it'd be a little faint that i just try to get used
to it but eventually get too annoyed and in my frustration i restart,
often forgetting about that stupid warning only to get yelled at "CPU
FAN FAILED!" yet again.

I don't wanna speed up the fan 'cos i prefer it to be quiet, but the
computer's temperatuer and everything is perfect and no problem, i
just wanna shut up this warning. And i wish i could find out what the
problem is with this sound problem and why it does that and what fix
is there. Has anyone had this problem with the sound or heard of it?

regards

Paul

      24th Jun 2004
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) (Mike Henley) wrote:

> I'm having two problems with the ASUS k8v deluxe. My windows is fully
> updated.
>
> First, i have installed a third-party cpu-fan that's bigger and slower
> (meant to be quieter), the stupid woman-voice keeps yelling every time
> i restart the computer "CPU FAN FAILED!". Sometimes it's too startling
> of a sudden especially when you keep your computer up for a few days
> and forget about this warning. Add to it that when this happens i
> usually have my speakers volume set to max. Which i suspect might've
> disturbed my neighbours when i restarted at night.
>
> Which brings us to the second problem, and that is why i have my
> speakers volume set to max... the sound regularly just goes to almost
> muted. Not exactly muted, because there's still sound, but you really
> have to turn the analog dial on the speakers themselves to max, and
> set all the applications and operating system sound to max too to hear
> it. And even then it'd be a little faint that i just try to get used
> to it but eventually get too annoyed and in my frustration i restart,
> often forgetting about that stupid warning only to get yelled at "CPU
> FAN FAILED!" yet again.
>
> I don't wanna speed up the fan 'cos i prefer it to be quiet, but the
> computer's temperatuer and everything is perfect and no problem, i
> just wanna shut up this warning. And i wish i could find out what the
> problem is with this sound problem and why it does that and what fix
> is there. Has anyone had this problem with the sound or heard of it?
>
> regards

"Speech POST Reporter" [Disabled] will stop the messages.

In the Hardware Monitor BIOS page, select "CPU Fan Speed" and
set it to [Ignore]. Since the thermal monitoring will still be
enabled, you'll get a warning if the fan actually stops, and
the CPU is overheating. Asus COP should also shut down the
board, if the CPU overheats enough. Using this option will allow
the "Speech POST Reporter" to be left enabled.

As for your sound symptoms, it sounds like a DC leakage problem
with your speaker system. Everything on the sound chip is AC coupled,
which means signals entering or leaving the board, are periodic
signals centered on zero volts. Now, if the caps used in an
audio path, have a DC leakage path (i.e. a resistor in parallel
with the capacitor), this can charge up the input on another device
until it gets to the point that the sound signal runs out of dynamic
range. To test for this, get an audio Y cable, and plug a
headset into one side of the Y, and your speakers into the other
side of the Y (i.e. they are running in parallel). The 32 ohm DC
load of the headphones, should give a path for the DC leakage to
go, and give a consistent sound level. This is the only theory I
can think of, unless there is some software reason why the sound
level could be turned down continuously.

You could also connect some other device than your amplified
speakers to the Lineout, to see if the sound level is
consistent. Try the headphones, assuming they are 32ohm
impedance and are DC coupled.

The most annoying solution would be to RMA the board, but
the problem might be with your speakers, rther than the
board. That is why testing with alternate output devices will
help identify whether the motherboard or the output device(s)
are at fault.

HTH,
Paul

Mike Henley

      29th Jun 2004
(E-Mail Removed) (Paul) wrote in message news:<nospam-2306042211000001@192.168.1.177>...

> "Speech POST Reporter" [Disabled] will stop the messages.
>
> In the Hardware Monitor BIOS page, select "CPU Fan Speed" and
> set it to [Ignore]. Since the thermal monitoring will still be
> enabled, you'll get a warning if the fan actually stops, and
> the CPU is overheating. Asus COP should also shut down the
> board, if the CPU overheats enough. Using this option will allow
> the "Speech POST Reporter" to be left enabled.

This worked... thanks :-) ... as for the sound...

> As for your sound symptoms, it sounds like a DC leakage problem
> with your speaker system. Everything on the sound chip is AC coupled,
> which means signals entering or leaving the board, are periodic
> signals centered on zero volts. Now, if the caps used in an
> audio path, have a DC leakage path (i.e. a resistor in parallel
> with the capacitor), this can charge up the input on another device
> until it gets to the point that the sound signal runs out of dynamic
> range. To test for this, get an audio Y cable, and plug a
> headset into one side of the Y, and your speakers into the other
> side of the Y (i.e. they are running in parallel). The 32 ohm DC
> load of the headphones, should give a path for the DC leakage to
> go, and give a consistent sound level. This is the only theory I
> can think of, unless there is some software reason why the sound
> level could be turned down continuously.
>
> You could also connect some other device than your amplified
> speakers to the Lineout, to see if the sound level is
> consistent. Try the headphones, assuming they are 32ohm
> impedance and are DC coupled.
>
> The most annoying solution would be to RMA the board, but
> the problem might be with your speakers, rther than the
> board. That is why testing with alternate output devices will
> help identify whether the motherboard or the output device(s)
> are at fault.
>
> HTH,
> Paul

Hi Paul... As for the sound... I don't have an Y cable... but the
sound just gone into a very faint volume suddenly, so i unplugged the
speakers and connected headphones and it sounds very faint even in the
headphones..

What's RMA?