janet-m

      26th Sep 2008
I run a windows XP PRO.
For few years I had the excellent program called TWEAKUI and it worked fine.

A while ago I lost the button called "APPLY" at the bottom of the page and
ever since I can't do anything in this lovely program. I tried to download
from MS the same program but Now it is no longer one program that contain
every thing but they have separated the various components and you have to
download each one separately.

I tried that route but it keep giving me stories such as I must have an MCE
program on my machine and I don't even know what is MCE.

How to liven up the GRAYED out "apply" button on the program I already have
and used for years,
or what program to download that can fix this matter or re-install the
program. And if I obtain a new program , do I have to delete the old one
before re-installing the new one?
Thanks
Janet

Leonard Grey

      26th Sep 2008
Uninstall TweakUI. Re-start your computer. Obtain TweakUI from Microsoft
and install it:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

Keep in mind that TweakUI changes your system in ways that can set off
alarms for your security software. You may need to disable your security
software when using TweakUI.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

"A Day in the Life of a Web 2.0 Hacker" - PC Magazine

janet-m wrote:
> I run a windows XP PRO.
> For few years I had the excellent program called TWEAKUI and it worked fine.
>
> A while ago I lost the button called "APPLY" at the bottom of the page and
> ever since I can't do anything in this lovely program. I tried to download
> from MS the same program but Now it is no longer one program that contain
> every thing but they have separated the various components and you have to
> download each one separately.
>
> I tried that route but it keep giving me stories such as I must have an MCE
> program on my machine and I don't even know what is MCE.
>
> How to liven up the GRAYED out "apply" button on the program I already have
> and used for years,
> or what program to download that can fix this matter or re-install the
> program. And if I obtain a new program , do I have to delete the old one
> before re-installing the new one?
> Thanks
> Janet

janet-m

      26th Sep 2008
Hi Leonard
Thanks for the quick response.
I went to the site you mentioned and on the right column there are many
programs.

In the past I downloaded one only and it contained all of them. Does it mean
I now have to download each separately and delete/re-install each
separately?

Thanks
Janet

"Leonard Grey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23aZit3%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Uninstall TweakUI. Re-start your computer. Obtain TweakUI from Microsoft
> and install it:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx
>
> Keep in mind that TweakUI changes your system in ways that can set off
> alarms for your security software. You may need to disable your security
> software when using TweakUI.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> "A Day in the Life of a Web 2.0 Hacker" - PC Magazine
>
> janet-m wrote:
>> I run a windows XP PRO.
>> For few years I had the excellent program called TWEAKUI and it worked
>> fine.
>>
>> A while ago I lost the button called "APPLY" at the bottom of the page
>> and ever since I can't do anything in this lovely program. I tried to
>> download from MS the same program but Now it is no longer one program
>> that contain every thing but they have separated the various components
>> and you have to download each one separately.
>>
>> I tried that route but it keep giving me stories such as I must have an
>> MCE program on my machine and I don't even know what is MCE.
>>
>> How to liven up the GRAYED out "apply" button on the program I already
>> have and used for years,
>> or what program to download that can fix this matter or re-install the
>> program. And if I obtain a new program , do I have to delete the old one
>> before re-installing the new one?
>> Thanks
>> Janet

Leonard Grey

      26th Sep 2008
I see only one item called TweakUI.exe on the right side.
---

janet-m wrote:
> Hi Leonard
> Thanks for the quick response.
> I went to the site you mentioned and on the right column there are many
> programs.
>
> In the past I downloaded one only and it contained all of them. Does it mean
> I now have to download each separately and delete/re-install each
> separately?
>
> Thanks
> Janet
>

> "Leonard Grey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%23aZit3%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Uninstall TweakUI. Re-start your computer. Obtain TweakUI from Microsoft
>> and install it:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx
>>
>> Keep in mind that TweakUI changes your system in ways that can set off
>> alarms for your security software. You may need to disable your security
>> software when using TweakUI.
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> "A Day in the Life of a Web 2.0 Hacker" - PC Magazine
>>
>> janet-m wrote:
>>> I run a windows XP PRO.
>>> For few years I had the excellent program called TWEAKUI and it worked
>>> fine.
>>>
>>> A while ago I lost the button called "APPLY" at the bottom of the page
>>> and ever since I can't do anything in this lovely program. I tried to
>>> download from MS the same program but Now it is no longer one program
>>> that contain every thing but they have separated the various components
>>> and you have to download each one separately.
>>>
>>> I tried that route but it keep giving me stories such as I must have an
>>> MCE program on my machine and I don't even know what is MCE.
>>>
>>> How to liven up the GRAYED out "apply" button on the program I already
>>> have and used for years,
>>> or what program to download that can fix this matter or re-install the
>>> program. And if I obtain a new program , do I have to delete the old one
>>> before re-installing the new one?
>>> Thanks
>>> Janet

janet-m

      26th Sep 2008
OK Leonard
I downloaded one that is 147 KB .
I went to ADD REMOVE to delete the old one and there I found two items.
One says just TWEAKUI at 2.63 MB
with no information on it

The other is TWEAKUI POWERTOY FOR WINDOWS XP and it is only 0.36 MB.
This one has the info of MS CORP and the version 1.00.001

Which one to remove and maybe I can scrap them both. What you say?

Thanks
Janet

"Leonard Grey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:erq4tv$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I see only one item called TweakUI.exe on the right side.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> "A Day in the Life of a Web 2.0 Hacker" - PC Magazine
>
> janet-m wrote:
>> Hi Leonard
>> Thanks for the quick response.
>> I went to the site you mentioned and on the right column there are many
>> programs.
>>
>> In the past I downloaded one only and it contained all of them. Does it
>> mean I now have to download each separately and delete/re-install each
>> separately?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Janet
>>

>> "Leonard Grey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%23aZit3%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Uninstall TweakUI. Re-start your computer. Obtain TweakUI from Microsoft
>>> and install it:
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx
>>>
>>> Keep in mind that TweakUI changes your system in ways that can set off
>>> alarms for your security software. You may need to disable your security
>>> software when using TweakUI.
>>> ---
>>> Leonard Grey
>>> Errare humanum est
>>>
>>> "A Day in the Life of a Web 2.0 Hacker" - PC Magazine
>>> http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2330952,00.asp

Ken Blake, MVP

      26th Sep 2008
On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 13:32:19 -0400, "janet-m" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> OK Leonard
> I downloaded one that is 147 KB .
> I went to ADD REMOVE to delete the old one and there I found two items.
> One says just TWEAKUI at 2.63 MB
> with no information on it
>
> The other is TWEAKUI POWERTOY FOR WINDOWS XP and it is only 0.36 MB.
> This one has the info of MS CORP and the version 1.00.001
>
> Which one to remove and maybe I can scrap them both. What you say?

I'm not sure which is which, but read the following:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p.../powertoys.asp (if you
have SP1 or SP2 installed) or
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ertoySetup.exe
(if you don't have SP1 or SP2).

My guess is that your problems with TweakUI were because you had the
second one listed above, but then installed SP1 or SP2, and that
caused the lack of compatibility. If I were in your shoes, I'd just
uninstall whatever you have and then install the correct one listed
above.

By the way, I see that in your original message you say "I lost the
button called "APPLY" at the bottom of the page and ever since I can't
do anything in this lovely program." Be aware that the standard use of
the Apply button is that it works exactly the same as the OK button,
except that it keeps the dialog box open. I can't recall what TweakUI
does in this respect, but most programs follow that standard.

Ken

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Leonard Grey

      26th Sep 2008
What Ken said.
---

Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 13:32:19 -0400, "janet-m" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> OK Leonard
>> I downloaded one that is 147 KB .
>> I went to ADD REMOVE to delete the old one and there I found two items.
>> One says just TWEAKUI at 2.63 MB
>> with no information on it
>>
>> The other is TWEAKUI POWERTOY FOR WINDOWS XP and it is only 0.36 MB.
>> This one has the info of MS CORP and the version 1.00.001
>>
>> Which one to remove and maybe I can scrap them both. What you say?

> I'm not sure which is which, but read the following:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p.../powertoys.asp (if you
> have SP1 or SP2 installed) or
> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ertoySetup.exe
> (if you don't have SP1 or SP2).
>
> My guess is that your problems with TweakUI were because you had the
> second one listed above, but then installed SP1 or SP2, and that
> caused the lack of compatibility. If I were in your shoes, I'd just
> uninstall whatever you have and then install the correct one listed
> above.
>
> By the way, I see that in your original message you say "I lost the
> button called "APPLY" at the bottom of the page and ever since I can't
> do anything in this lovely program." Be aware that the standard use of
> the Apply button is that it works exactly the same as the OK button,
> except that it keeps the dialog box open. I can't recall what TweakUI
> does in this respect, but most programs follow that standard.
>
> Ken

janet-m

      26th Sep 2008
Thanks Ken
I have all SP installed. first SP1 Then 2 and then 3
I guess I'll remove and delete both lines and let the chips fall where they
may :-)

Thanks for now to both of you, Ken and leonard

Janet

"Ken Blake, MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 13:32:19 -0400, "janet-m" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> OK Leonard
>> I downloaded one that is 147 KB .
>> I went to ADD REMOVE to delete the old one and there I found two items.
>> One says just TWEAKUI at 2.63 MB
>> with no information on it
>>
>> The other is TWEAKUI POWERTOY FOR WINDOWS XP and it is only 0.36 MB.
>> This one has the info of MS CORP and the version 1.00.001
>>
>> Which one to remove and maybe I can scrap them both. What you say?

> I'm not sure which is which, but read the following:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p.../powertoys.asp (if you
> have SP1 or SP2 installed) or
> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ertoySetup.exe
> (if you don't have SP1 or SP2).
>
> My guess is that your problems with TweakUI were because you had the
> second one listed above, but then installed SP1 or SP2, and that
> caused the lack of compatibility. If I were in your shoes, I'd just
> uninstall whatever you have and then install the correct one listed
> above.
>
> By the way, I see that in your original message you say "I lost the
> button called "APPLY" at the bottom of the page and ever since I can't
> do anything in this lovely program." Be aware that the standard use of
> the Apply button is that it works exactly the same as the OK button,
> except that it keeps the dialog box open. I can't recall what TweakUI
> does in this respect, but most programs follow that standard.
>
> Ken
>
> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Ken Blake, MVP

      26th Sep 2008
On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 14:47:23 -0400, "janet-m" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Thanks Ken
> I have all SP installed. first SP1 Then 2 and then 3
> I guess I'll remove and delete both lines and let the chips fall where they
> may :-)
>
> Thanks for now to both of you, Ken and leonard

You're welcome. Glad to help.