TV Tuner qustion

Wonderman

      5th Aug 2009
Although this product claims to be Vista 64 capable will it run in MCE ?

Dominic Payer

      5th Aug 2009

See http://www.leadtek.com/eng/tv_tuner/...&pronameid=448

It is a hybrid analog and digital TV product, so if there is a driver
MCE will be happy with the digital output.

Analog cards need hardware MPEG encoding to work with MCE, which this
card does not have. Digital program streams are already MPEG2 encoded.

On 05/08/2009 12:44, Wonderman wrote:
> Although this product claims to be Vista 64 capable will it run in MCE ?

Richard G. Harper

      5th Aug 2009
Looks like no. No such words on the web site and no MCE enablers for
download. You could also check here:

http://www.microsoft.com/hcl/

"Wonderman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Although this product claims to be Vista 64 capable will it run in MCE ?

Wonderman

      6th Aug 2009
Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to go with a Happauge 1600 that has an
MPEG decoder chip.

"Richard G. Harper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Looks like no. No such words on the web site and no MCE enablers for
> download. You could also check here:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/hcl/
>
> "Wonderman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Although this product claims to be Vista 64 capable will it run in MCE ?
>>

>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815122012

R. C. White

      7th Aug 2009
Hi, Wonderman.

Do you really mean MCE, as in the Media Center Edition PCs sold a few years
ago? Or simply the MC (Windows Media Center) application that is included
in current Vista and Win7? I've never had an MCE, but I've been running MC
for a few years, always in the x64 versions of Vista Ultimate and Win7
Ultimate.

My Hauppauge HVR-1600 is a couple of years old now and I see that newer
versions are available. The HVR-1600 works just fine in Windows Media
Center. ;<)

My computer also has a Pinnacle PCTV HD Pro Stick, bought at about the same
time as the HVR-1600. I'm never sure which tuner is delivering my pictures,
but they both seem to work - most of the time. I don't have a TV cable
service, so my reception is strictly over-the-air from both Austin (30 miles
away) and San Antonio (50 miles). I griped for years about MC and the
tuners; finally I realized that my problem was with reception, not with the
tuners.

At first, drivers, especially 64-bit, for both tuners were a real hassle,
but now drivers for both are automatically installed and updated by Win7.
I've tried to use the software supplied by Hauppauge and Pinnacle, but
usually go back to Media Center.

After installing Win7 Ultimate x64 RTM yesterday, I watched the evening news
on TV on my computer. I missed the first 10 minutes while MC was
configuring for the new installation, but it was good after that. ;<)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX