Turning off automatic paragraph indent Word 2007

Gordon

      2nd Feb 2008
Can someone PLEASE tell me were to turn off this ridiculous function whereby
if you want to indent the second line of a paragraph, THE WHOLE PARAGRAPH IS
MOVED?
Presumably the person who coded this in as default behaviour does NOT use
Word.....

Graham Mayor

      2nd Feb 2008
Word Options > Proofing > Autocorrect Options > Autoformat as you type >
Uncheck 'Set left- and first- indent with tabs and backspaces.

Word has always had these options set by default but as with any other
option you can choose to switch them off.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

Gordon wrote:
> Can someone PLEASE tell me were to turn off this ridiculous function
> whereby if you want to indent the second line of a paragraph, THE
> WHOLE PARAGRAPH IS MOVED?
> Presumably the person who coded this in as default behaviour does NOT
> use Word.....

Terry Farrell

      2nd Feb 2008
Instead of using the tab key, use Ctrl+T (note Ctrl+Shift+T will undo the
command).

--

Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

> Can someone PLEASE tell me were to turn off this ridiculous function
> whereby if you want to indent the second line of a paragraph, THE WHOLE
> PARAGRAPH IS MOVED?
> Presumably the person who coded this in as default behaviour does NOT use
> Word.....

Gordon

      2nd Feb 2008
"Graham Mayor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Word Options > Proofing > Autocorrect Options > Autoformat as you type >
> Uncheck 'Set left- and first- indent with tabs and backspaces.

Thanks - I knew where to turn this off in 2003, but couldn't find it in
2007!

> Word has always had these options set by default but as with any other
> option you can choose to switch them off.

Precisely - IMHO these advanced options should be turned OFF by default - so
simple users like me don't pull their hair out in exasperation, but advanced
users can turn them ON if they want.

Graham Mayor

      2nd Feb 2008
Gordon wrote:
> "Graham Mayor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Word Options > Proofing > Autocorrect Options > Autoformat as you
>> type > Uncheck 'Set left- and first- indent with tabs and backspaces.

> Thanks - I knew where to turn this off in 2003, but couldn't find it
> in 2007!
>

>> Word has always had these options set by default but as with any
>> other option you can choose to switch them off.

> Precisely - IMHO these advanced options should be turned OFF by
> default - so simple users like me don't pull their hair out in
> exasperation, but advanced users can turn them ON if they want.

I believe the thinking is that if the functions are not turned on, users
will not know they exist.

--