Turning off annoying hover windows

Bob

      12th Nov 2004
I have tried to find a solution to this problem for months... I have
searched the internet from one end to the other... no one has come up
with a solution or fix.

I want to TURN OFF the ANNOYING pop-up information boxes that open up
everytime I hover over and icon or file name with my cursor. They are
everywhere in Windows, in file boxes, icons, anything I mouse over I get
the stupid window telling me about a particular file. Problem is that
these stupid windows are always IN THE WAY.

I am NOT talking about "balloon tips", as I have tried every registry
hack known to turn these off. I am talking about the yellow rectangle
boxes that pop up everywhere, when I hover on the taskbar for example
the window will pop up and tell me what the icon is for.

If I hover over the IE icon on the taskbar I get this message in a
2-line ywllow box:

"Launch Internet Explorer browser
Finds and displays information and websites on the Internet"

Well, DUH, I think it's pretty obvious that clicking the icon will
launch IE and that I KNOW that I will be able to surf the internet once
it opens. I don't need a box to tell me this I wonder what moron
programmer came up with this stupid idea? Worse, not allowing an easy
way to turn off the annoying boxes.

Help!!!!

Bob

DJS0302

      12th Nov 2004
My Computer, Tools, Folder Options, View tab, uncheck the box at the very
bottom of the list that says "Show pop-up descriptions for folder and desktop
items.

Bob I

      16th Nov 2004
Windows Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, View, Uncheck Show popups will
take care of most of them. As to the Taskbar, editing the Comment in the
shortcut will reduce the size, as will trimming the "description".

Bob wrote:

> I have tried to find a solution to this problem for months... I have
> searched the internet from one end to the other... no one has come up
> with a solution or fix.
>
> I want to TURN OFF the ANNOYING pop-up information boxes that open up
> everytime I hover over and icon or file name with my cursor. They are
> everywhere in Windows, in file boxes, icons, anything I mouse over I get
> the stupid window telling me about a particular file. Problem is that
> these stupid windows are always IN THE WAY.
>
> I am NOT talking about "balloon tips", as I have tried every registry
> hack known to turn these off. I am talking about the yellow rectangle
> boxes that pop up everywhere, when I hover on the taskbar for example
> the window will pop up and tell me what the icon is for.
>
> If I hover over the IE icon on the taskbar I get this message in a
> 2-line ywllow box:
>
> "Launch Internet Explorer browser
> Finds and displays information and websites on the Internet"
>
> Well, DUH, I think it's pretty obvious that clicking the icon will
> launch IE and that I KNOW that I will be able to surf the internet once
> it opens. I don't need a box to tell me this I wonder what moron
> programmer came up with this stupid idea? Worse, not allowing an easy
> way to turn off the annoying boxes.
>
> Help!!!!
>

> Bob

Art

      16th Nov 2004
Bob (the OP)...
Re: turning off the balloon tips...
From Doug Knox's site:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_d...alloontips.htm

"xp_balloontips.vbs -Disable Windows® XP's Balloon Tips
© Doug Knox - 02/06/2002

This VB Script will add Disable Windows® XP's Balloon Tips.

To use: Download the xp_balloontips.vbs file and save it to your hard drive
(you may want to right click and use Save Target As). Double-click
xp_balloontips.vbs file. You will be prompted when the changes have been
completed. This script can be viewed in Notepad or any text editor, as to
the specific Registry key and value that are updated.

This page last updated 04/14/2002"

Art

"Bob I" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Windows Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, View, Uncheck Show popups will
> take care of most of them. As to the Taskbar, editing the Comment in the
> shortcut will reduce the size, as will trimming the "description".
>
> Bob wrote:
>
>> I have tried to find a solution to this problem for months... I have
>> searched the internet from one end to the other... no one has come up
>> with a solution or fix.
>>
>> I want to TURN OFF the ANNOYING pop-up information boxes that open up
>> everytime I hover over and icon or file name with my cursor. They are
>> everywhere in Windows, in file boxes, icons, anything I mouse over I get
>> the stupid window telling me about a particular file. Problem is that
>> these stupid windows are always IN THE WAY.
>>
>> I am NOT talking about "balloon tips", as I have tried every registry
>> hack known to turn these off. I am talking about the yellow rectangle
>> boxes that pop up everywhere, when I hover on the taskbar for example
>> the window will pop up and tell me what the icon is for.
>>
>> If I hover over the IE icon on the taskbar I get this message in a
>> 2-line ywllow box:
>>
>> "Launch Internet Explorer browser
>> Finds and displays information and websites on the Internet"
>>
>> Well, DUH, I think it's pretty obvious that clicking the icon will
>> launch IE and that I KNOW that I will be able to surf the internet once
>> it opens. I don't need a box to tell me this I wonder what moron
>> programmer came up with this stupid idea? Worse, not allowing an easy
>> way to turn off the annoying boxes.
>>
>> Help!!!!
>>

>> Bob

=?Utf-8?B?Y3c=?= the y place>

      13th Feb 2005

"DJS0302" wrote:

> My Computer, Tools, Folder Options, View tab, uncheck the box at the very
> bottom of the list that says "Show pop-up descriptions for folder and desktop
> items.

It doesn't work! I still keep getting them anywhere I rest the cursor,
including having it nag me here "enter your message". grrrrrrr...

=?Utf-8?B?Y3c=?= the y place>

      13th Feb 2005
bless you!

"Art" wrote:

> Bob (the OP)...
> Re: turning off the balloon tips...
> From Doug Knox's site:
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_d...alloontips.htm
>
> "xp_balloontips.vbs -Disable Windows® XP's Balloon Tips
> © Doug Knox - 02/06/2002
>
> This VB Script will add Disable Windows® XP's Balloon Tips.
>
> To use: Download the xp_balloontips.vbs file and save it to your hard drive
> (you may want to right click and use Save Target As). Double-click
> xp_balloontips.vbs file. You will be prompted when the changes have been
> completed. This script can be viewed in Notepad or any text editor, as to
> the specific Registry key and value that are updated.
>
> This page last updated 04/14/2002"
>
> Art
>
> "Bob I" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Windows Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, View, Uncheck Show popups will
> > take care of most of them. As to the Taskbar, editing the Comment in the
> > shortcut will reduce the size, as will trimming the "description".
> >
> > Bob wrote:
> >
> >> I have tried to find a solution to this problem for months... I have
> >> searched the internet from one end to the other... no one has come up
> >> with a solution or fix.
> >>
> >> I want to TURN OFF the ANNOYING pop-up information boxes that open up
> >> everytime I hover over and icon or file name with my cursor. They are
> >> everywhere in Windows, in file boxes, icons, anything I mouse over I get
> >> the stupid window telling me about a particular file. Problem is that
> >> these stupid windows are always IN THE WAY.
> >>
> >> I am NOT talking about "balloon tips", as I have tried every registry
> >> hack known to turn these off. I am talking about the yellow rectangle
> >> boxes that pop up everywhere, when I hover on the taskbar for example
> >> the window will pop up and tell me what the icon is for.
> >>
> >> If I hover over the IE icon on the taskbar I get this message in a
> >> 2-line ywllow box:
> >>
> >> "Launch Internet Explorer browser
> >> Finds and displays information and websites on the Internet"
> >>
> >> Well, DUH, I think it's pretty obvious that clicking the icon will
> >> launch IE and that I KNOW that I will be able to surf the internet once
> >> it opens. I don't need a box to tell me this I wonder what moron
> >> programmer came up with this stupid idea? Worse, not allowing an easy
> >> way to turn off the annoying boxes.
> >>
> >> Help!!!!
> >>

> >> Bob

=?Utf-8?B?Y3c=?= the y place>

      14th Feb 2005
It's probably bad karma to revoke a "bless you", and perhaps balloon tips
were disabled by the fix, but it did nothing for those popup yellow
information windows.

"cw" wrote:

> bless you!
>
> "Art" wrote:
>
> > Bob (the OP)...
> > Re: turning off the balloon tips...
> > From Doug Knox's site:
> > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_d...alloontips.htm
> >
> > "xp_balloontips.vbs -Disable Windows® XP's Balloon Tips
> > © Doug Knox - 02/06/2002
> >
> > This VB Script will add Disable Windows® XP's Balloon Tips.
> >
> > To use: Download the xp_balloontips.vbs file and save it to your hard drive
> > (you may want to right click and use Save Target As). Double-click
> > xp_balloontips.vbs file. You will be prompted when the changes have been
> > completed. This script can be viewed in Notepad or any text editor, as to
> > the specific Registry key and value that are updated.
> >
> > This page last updated 04/14/2002"
> >
> > Art
> >
> > "Bob I" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Windows Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, View, Uncheck Show popups will
> > > take care of most of them. As to the Taskbar, editing the Comment in the
> > > shortcut will reduce the size, as will trimming the "description".

Kelly

      14th Feb 2005
How To: Turn off the Balloon Tooltips and Pop-ups

Windows Explorer/Tools/Folder Options/View/Advanced/Uncheck Popup
Descriptions for Folder and Desktop Items.

TweakUI/Taskbar/Uncheck Enable Balloon Tips
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p.../powertoys.asp

Or use this automated edit:

Disable Balloon Tips or Disable All (Row 11)

Disable All includes: Balloon Tips, Folder Contents Info Tips, Explorer
Pop-Ups, Show Info Tips, Start Menu and Notification Area.

To use the Regedit: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it
and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by
right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.

--
All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"cw the y place>" <cwghosty --> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "DJS0302" wrote:
>
>> My Computer, Tools, Folder Options, View tab, uncheck the box at the very
>> bottom of the list that says "Show pop-up descriptions for folder and
>> desktop
>> items.
>>

> It doesn't work! I still keep getting them anywhere I rest the cursor,
> including having it nag me here "enter your message". grrrrrrr...

New Member

      25th Mar 2009
I've tried everything in this thread but nothing works.
Does anyone know how to remove the annoying yellow box that appears in XP when you
These are NOT about "balloon tips." They are typically a just a few words in a small hovering yellow box.
Nothing above works to remove them.

New Member

      19th Jan 2010
Thanks for the help with getting rid of this extremely annoying feature. I did the VB Script fix and while the problem is solved for XP it is still there when surfing the Internet while using any browser (IE, Firefox, Avant, etc.). Is there any way of eradicating them from my browser too?

My thanks in advance!

Westek12