How to turn off computer without manually push power button?

Eric

      14th May 2009
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to turn off computer?
When I turn off XP window by click Start > Turn Off, then the system is turn
down, but it shows an image about "you can safe turn off your computer", then
I need to push the power button for hardware's turn off.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to change the setting? so when I
click Start > Turn Off, then both system and hardware will turn off.
I never see this kind of shut down process for XP, which just like Window 95
or 98.
But it happens on one's computer.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Eric

Malke

      14th May 2009
Eric wrote:

> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to turn off computer?
> When I turn off XP window by click Start > Turn Off, then the system is
> turn down, but it shows an image about "you can safe turn off your
> computer", then I need to push the power button for hardware's turn off.
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to change the setting? so when I
> click Start > Turn Off, then both system and hardware will turn off.
> I never see this kind of shut down process for XP, which just like Window
> 95 or 98.
> But it happens on one's computer.
> Does anyone have any suggestions?
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810903

2,040,000 hits in 0.28 seconds:
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=it+is...fp=Q5rYJf3FIq4

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Jose

      14th May 2009
On May 14, 7:05*am, Eric <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to turn off computer?
> When I turn off XP window by click Start > Turn Off, then the system is turn
> down, but it shows an image about "you can safe turn off your computer", then
> I need to push the power button for hardware's turn off.
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to change the setting? so when I
> click Start > Turn Off, then both system and hardware will turn off.
> I never see this kind of shut down process for XP, which just like Window95
> or 98.
> But it happens on one's computer.
> Does anyone have any suggestions?
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions
> Eric

Look at Start, Settings, Control Panel, Power Options.

If there is an APM (Advanced Power Management) tab, check the "Enable
Advanced Power Management support" box and try again.

If there is no APM tab, or checking the box does not work, then we can
look elsewhere.

Jose

Eric

      14th May 2009
There are only 4 tabs, Power Option, Advance, Sleep, UPS in chinese, I may
not translate correctly. Could you please tell me which tab look like APM
tabs?
If there is no APM tabs, what should I do?
Thank everyone very much for suggestions
Eric

"Jose" wrote:

> On May 14, 7:05 am, Eric <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Does anyone have any suggestions on how to turn off computer?
> > When I turn off XP window by click Start > Turn Off, then the system is turn
> > down, but it shows an image about "you can safe turn off your computer", then
> > I need to push the power button for hardware's turn off.
> > Does anyone have any suggestions on how to change the setting? so when I
> > click Start > Turn Off, then both system and hardware will turn off.
> > I never see this kind of shut down process for XP, which just like Window 95
> > or 98.
> > But it happens on one's computer.
> > Does anyone have any suggestions?
> > Thanks in advance for any suggestions
> > Eric

> Look at Start, Settings, Control Panel, Power Options.
>
> If there is an APM (Advanced Power Management) tab, check the "Enable
> Advanced Power Management support" box and try again.
>
> If there is no APM tab, or checking the box does not work, then we can
> look elsewhere.
>
> Jose

SPAMCOP User

      14th May 2009
Eric,

I have written my own shutdown approgram in unmanaged C++. A double-click &
it shuts the machine down

--
SPAMCOP User

"Eric" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to turn off computer?
> When I turn off XP window by click Start > Turn Off, then the system is
> turn
> down, but it shows an image about "you can safe turn off your computer",
> then
> I need to push the power button for hardware's turn off.
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to change the setting? so when I
> click Start > Turn Off, then both system and hardware will turn off.
> I never see this kind of shut down process for XP, which just like Window
> 95
> or 98.
> But it happens on one's computer.
> Does anyone have any suggestions?
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions
> Eric

SPAMCOP User

      14th May 2009
Eric,

In the registry is a setting shutdown & power off:

START | RUN | Type 'regedit' & press ENTER

Navigate to:

In the right pane, double-click 'PowerdownAfterShutdown' & set it to 1

Close the registry editor & restart

--
SPAMCOP User

"Eric" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to turn off computer?
> When I turn off XP window by click Start > Turn Off, then the system is
> turn
> down, but it shows an image about "you can safe turn off your computer",
> then
> I need to push the power button for hardware's turn off.
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to change the setting? so when I
> click Start > Turn Off, then both system and hardware will turn off.
> I never see this kind of shut down process for XP, which just like Window
> 95
> or 98.
> But it happens on one's computer.
> Does anyone have any suggestions?
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions
> Eric

Tim Meddick

      14th May 2009
Eric,
The 'Advanced' tab IS the APM Management they are referring to. You
SHOULD have two boxes under that tab named:

When I press the Power button on my computer.

....and

When I press the Sleep button on my computer.

...where you can define the result of pressing either of these buttons. If
these boxes are NOT present it is POSSIBLE (but not very probable) that your
computer is an old one that has not got an 'ATX' based motherboard and power
supply that supports shutting off AC power via the Operating System.

To test, try out these commands:

Firstly: 1.)

reg ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /v
PowerdownAfterShutdown /d 1 /f

Then 2.)

shutdown /s /t 0

(*NB The first command must be all on one line as it may not appear to be so
due to line-wrap)

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :-)

"Eric" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to turn off computer?
> When I turn off XP window by click Start > Turn Off, then the system is
> turn
> down, but it shows an image about "you can safe turn off your computer",
> then
> I need to push the power button for hardware's turn off.
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to change the setting? so when I
> click Start > Turn Off, then both system and hardware will turn off.
> I never see this kind of shut down process for XP, which just like Window
> 95
> or 98.
> But it happens on one's computer.
> Does anyone have any suggestions?
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions
> Eric

westom

      14th May 2009
On May 14, 10:45*am, Eric <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> There are only 4 tabs, Power Option, Advance, Sleep, UPS in chinese, I may
> not translate correctly. ...
> If there is no APM tabs, what should I do?

Power supply is controlled by a power supply controller. Controller
is custom - unique to the chip set for each motherboard. NT based
OSes solve this problem with the HAL - a layer of software that
interfaced the OS to that unique hardware.

When your OS loads, it identified by the chipset and loads a correct
HAL.

But if your HAL is not properly installed, the OS cannot talk to the
power supply controller - turn off the power supply.

Above assumes your power supply is an ATX type. That the power
switch also connects to the power supply controller - not directly to
the power supply.