Tualatin IHS removal. (Kony)

~misfit~

      6th Apr 2004
Hey Dave (and crew).

Well that Tualatin I mentioned that I'd glued the HS onto with Zalman epxoy?
I ran a razor blade around the IHS and eased it off, it came away no
trouble. One thing I found interesting, there was quite a gap between the
core and the IHS, filled with thermal compound. Probably 2mm or more. That
can't be good for heat-transfer.

I then put the HS into a hot oven for a half-hour and tapped the IHS with a
screwdriver and it came off the HS fairly easilly. Gouged the (aluminium) HS
a little, it's a lot softer when it's hot. Thankfully not in an area where
it makes contact with the core. I then 'lapped' the HS with some 600 grit
wet & dry sandpaper (wet) on glass to remove the remaining epoxy. It
actually came up a lot smoother than it was originally. Plus it's a lot
flatter now, it was quite bowed, a good half-hour of elbow-grease.

I don't have a board to run the Tui in at the moment but when I get one I'm
just gonna run it bare (no IHS). I really didn't like the way there was such
a huge gap between the IHS and the core, certainly can't be good for
heat-transfer.

Thanks for the URL and the idea, I now have another CPU I can use when I can
find a cheap enough board. It's a Celly 1.3Ghz.

Cheers,
--
~misfit~

kony

      6th Apr 2004
On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 19:37:22 +1200, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hey Dave (and crew).
>
>Well that Tualatin I mentioned that I'd glued the HS onto with Zalman epxoy?
>I ran a razor blade around the IHS and eased it off, it came away no
>trouble. One thing I found interesting, there was quite a gap between the
>core and the IHS, filled with thermal compound. Probably 2mm or more. That
>can't be good for heat-transfer.

Yep, after seeing quite a few chips sans their IHS, it's clear that a user
with attention to detail will have a better interface without the IHS,
providing of course that they have a halfway decent heatsink... but for a
Tualatin any old POS 'sink is usually plenty good after it's lapped.

>I then put the HS into a hot oven for a half-hour and tapped the IHS with a
>screwdriver and it came off the HS fairly easilly. Gouged the (aluminium) HS
>a little, it's a lot softer when it's hot. Thankfully not in an area where
>it makes contact with the core. I then 'lapped' the HS with some 600 grit
>wet & dry sandpaper (wet) on glass to remove the remaining epoxy. It
>actually came up a lot smoother than it was originally. Plus it's a lot
>flatter now, it was quite bowed, a good half-hour of elbow-grease.

I'd be worried about the oven though, if the localized heat was too high
compared to the thermostat it might get hotter than intended, harm the
chip.

>I don't have a board to run the Tui in at the moment but when I get one I'm
>just gonna run it bare (no IHS). I really didn't like the way there was such
>a huge gap between the IHS and the core, certainly can't be good for
>heat-transfer.
>
>Thanks for the URL and the idea, I now have another CPU I can use when I can
>find a cheap enough board. It's a Celly 1.3Ghz.

It's good to hear that the IHS came off without any damage... I probably
would've taken a hacksaw to the 'sink and cut out a chunk of the bottom.

Spajky

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I ran a razor blade around the IHS and eased it off, it came away no
>trouble.

good ... no damage to the CPU base (PCB); my friend did not have that
luck!

>One thing I found interesting, there was quite a gap between the
>core and the IHS, filled with thermal compound. Probably 2mm or more. That
>can't be good for heat-transfer.

Sure not! I did not wanna remove for myself that IHS but resolved a
problem my way .. :-) , see my site ... check my mods too .. :-)

>I then put the HS into a hot oven for a half-hour and tapped the IHS ....

thats nothing; I put my Tuallie on the pot & than on the stove! see on
my site this updated under comp/..CPU Burn-in ... :-)))

> I then 'lapped' the HS ... it's a lot
>flatter now, it was quite bowed....

I did it also on IHS ...

If you have enough gutts, you can try lapping the core itself too ..
:-) (some guys did it, but its a risky business)

>I don't have a board to run the Tui in at the moment but when I get one I'm
>just gonna run it bare (no IHS).

be carefull not to crack the edges of a CPU core; put some foamed gum
washers at the edge of a CPU (like AMDs have) to prevent that when
mounting a HS!

Be carefull that in any case the HS does not fall off during operation
/crack of a holding plastics on s370 socket!/, since IHS helps
delay-ing the thermal runaway of a chip to engage its thermal
protection at IMHO 125°C shutting it down ...

>I really didn't like the way there was such
>a huge gap between the IHS and the core, certainly can't be good for
>heat-transfer.

sure not, but that gap is not equal on all samples, some have been
just assembled worse (depends on in which Intel´s factory was done &
boxed are generally made better)

-- Regards, SPAJKY ®
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

~misfit~

      6th Apr 2004
kony wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 19:37:22 +1200, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<snip>

>> I then put the HS into a hot oven for a half-hour and tapped the IHS
>> with a screwdriver and it came off the HS fairly easilly. Gouged the
>> (aluminium) HS a little, it's a lot softer when it's hot. Thankfully
>> not in an area where it makes contact with the core. I then 'lapped'
>> the HS with some 600 grit wet & dry sandpaper (wet) on glass to
>> remove the remaining epoxy. It actually came up a lot smoother than
>> it was originally. Plus it's a lot flatter now, it was quite bowed,
>> a good half-hour of elbow-grease.

> I'd be worried about the oven though, if the localized heat was too
> high compared to the thermostat it might get hotter than intended,
> harm the chip.

Maybe I wasn't clear, I put the HS in the oven, still attached to the IHS
but *after* I'd removed the CPU.

>> I don't have a board to run the Tui in at the moment but when I get
>> one I'm just gonna run it bare (no IHS). I really didn't like the
>> way there was such a huge gap between the IHS and the core,
>> certainly can't be good for heat-transfer.
>>
>> Thanks for the URL and the idea, I now have another CPU I can use
>> when I can find a cheap enough board. It's a Celly 1.3Ghz.

> It's good to hear that the IHS came off without any damage... I
> probably would've taken a hacksaw to the 'sink and cut out a chunk of
> the bottom.

Butcher. <g>.

Cheers,
--
~misfit~

~misfit~

      7th Apr 2004
Spajky wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 19:37:22 +1200, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I ran a razor blade around the IHS and eased it off, it came away no
>> trouble.

> good ... no damage to the CPU base (PCB); my friend did not have that
> luck!

I think it was because the CPU was stuck to a HS. I could only get the blade
in dead straight, therefore it didn't dig into the CPU substrate.

>> I then 'lapped' the HS ... it's a lot
>> flatter now, it was quite bowed....

> I did it also on IHS ...
>
> If you have enough gutts, you can try lapping the core itself too ..
> :-) (some guys did it, but its a risky business)

Yeah, I've seen a site that gives instructions on how to do it. I don't
think I'll bother. <g>

>> I don't have a board to run the Tui in at the moment but when I get
>> one I'm just gonna run it bare (no IHS).

> be carefull not to crack the edges of a CPU core; put some foamed gum
> washers at the edge of a CPU (like AMDs have) to prevent that when
> mounting a HS!

The site Kony gave me mentioned this. I have some double-sided foam tape
that I'm going to try using. It is a little thicker than the die but I think
(hope) that it will compress enough to allow good contact between core and
HS. It is quite 'spongy'.

> Be carefull that in any case the HS does not fall off during operation
> /crack of a holding plastics on s370 socket!/, since IHS helps
> delay-ing the thermal runaway of a chip to engage its thermal
> protection at IMHO 125C shutting it down ...

Thanks for the tips.

Cheers,
--
~misfit~

kony

      7th Apr 2004
On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 10:50:52 +1200, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>kony wrote:
>> On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 19:37:22 +1200, "~misfit~"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> <snip>
>
>>> I then put the HS into a hot oven for a half-hour and tapped the IHS
>>> with a screwdriver and it came off the HS fairly easilly. Gouged the
>>> (aluminium) HS a little, it's a lot softer when it's hot. Thankfully
>>> not in an area where it makes contact with the core. I then 'lapped'
>>> the HS with some 600 grit wet & dry sandpaper (wet) on glass to
>>> remove the remaining epoxy. It actually came up a lot smoother than
>>> it was originally. Plus it's a lot flatter now, it was quite bowed,
>>> a good half-hour of elbow-grease.

>> I'd be worried about the oven though, if the localized heat was too
>> high compared to the thermostat it might get hotter than intended,
>> harm the chip.

>Maybe I wasn't clear, I put the HS in the oven, still attached to the IHS
>but *after* I'd removed the CPU.

Naw, you were clear... 'twas prior to the AM coffee, i was not clear

>> It's good to hear that the IHS came off without any damage... I
>> probably would've taken a hacksaw to the 'sink and cut out a chunk of
>> the bottom.

>Butcher. <g>.

LOL, any excuse to cut up a heatsink... the scraps are infinitely cheaper
than ready-made mosfet 'sinks

kony

      7th Apr 2004
On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 11:05:01 +1200, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>The site Kony gave me mentioned this. I have some double-sided foam tape
>that I'm going to try using. It is a little thicker than the die but I think
>(hope) that it will compress enough to allow good contact between core and
>HS. It is quite 'spongy'.

Foam tape, provided it's open-cell, should compress plenty, though you
should be ok without any tape... Coppermines survived. It was mostly the
Athlons that were such a problem because of the extra tension AMD spec'd
for the heatsink clip, and I suspect it didn't help that the ceramic
carrier was completely inflexible.

~misfit~

      7th Apr 2004
kony wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 11:05:01 +1200, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>> The site Kony gave me mentioned this. I have some double-sided foam
>> tape that I'm going to try using. It is a little thicker than the
>> die but I think (hope) that it will compress enough to allow good
>> contact between core and HS. It is quite 'spongy'.

> Foam tape, provided it's open-cell, should compress plenty, though you
> should be ok without any tape... Coppermines survived. It was mostly
> the Athlons that were such a problem because of the extra tension AMD
> spec'd for the heatsink clip, and I suspect it didn't help that the
> ceramic carrier was completely inflexible.

Thanks. Yeah, I already tried fitting it in a socket and fitting a HSF, just
for the hell of it. It was Ok. Shame it wasn't a board that could run it.

Cheers,
--
~misfit~